Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this Oxxford suit at a local thrift store. I didn't have a chance to try it on, but its my size. I only had time to grab a quick picture. What do you think-assuming it fits and I find no defects, is this good find for $30? (High end thrift store.)

I don't wear suits that often, but could this could serve as a staple grey suit?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
      Found this Oxxford suit at a local thrift store. I didn't have a chance to try it on, but its my size. I only had time to grab a quick picture. What do you think-assuming it fits and I find no defects, is this good find for $30? (High end thrift store.)

I don't wear suits that often, but could this could serve as a staple grey suit?

Thanks
      If it's in good condition, that would be a very good find. Depending on the age, though, it may be out of style even if it fits. But at $30, you could still flip it online for a profit (assuming, again, that it's in good condition).

For reference, I bought a grey pinstripe Oxxford flannel suit for $75 on ebay, and I consider that a steal.

Comment

That's a super buy for Oxxford, considering there's a lot of handwork that goes into one, and a new one probably costs >$2000 by now. I think a vintage one might run large, so you might need some tailoring, but it would be worth it. Also, they have low notches which is out of style currently. Some people might be able to spot it as an older suit.

If there are no defects, I would definitely keep it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Is there any way to date an Oxxford suit. Also - I know that the picture I sent is awful - but do the lapels look too wide?

Comment

I don't know how to date the suit. You might be able to search some eBay posts. Look at completed listings also.

The lapels width looks great (but again the notches are lower than what is fashionable now). If I'm not mistaken, Oxxford never went to slim lapels and they keep their designs fairly static, so their proportions don't change very much over time.

Comment

Stopped in again - on way back from 5k. Oxxford suit still there - tried it on. More crappy picks. I do not know how you guys take selfies trying on clothes. Anyway - i think the fit is good enough to work with - price is $24.50. Flat front pants which makes me think must be somewhat recent vintage.

Thoughts?

Comment

Way too big on you.
                Ben

Comment

Stopped in again - on way back from 5k. Oxxford suit still there - tried it on. More crappy picks. I do not know how you guys take selfies trying on clothes. Anyway - i think the fit is good enough to work with - price is $24.50. Flat front pants which makes me think must be somewhat recent vintage.

Thoughts?

you're swimming in that suit, would pass

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I did buy it. Will take it to a tailor for consideration. If it is too big, which is entirely possible, maybe someone in the forum will want it.

Comment

Put it up on eBay.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I did buy it. Will take it to a tailor for consideration. If it is too big, which is entirely possible, maybe someone in the forum will want it.
                        Not to be harsh, but - there's no question that it's too big for you. Don't even bother taking it to a tailor. Make sure there isn't any damage, take decent pics, and throw it up on the Swap and Shop thread.

Had a pretty good day yesterday. Posted these over on the SF thrifting thread, and figured I'd share them here as well.

Breuer, RLPL, Charvet, Ferragamo x2

Zegna hidden button down collar x3

Comment

Originally posted by cotoks View Post
                          Not to be harsh, but - there's no question that it's too big for you. Don't even bother taking it to a tailor. Make sure there isn't any damage, take decent pics, and throw it up on the Swap and Shop thread.

Had a pretty good day yesterday. Posted these over on the SF thrifting thread, and figured I'd share them here as well.

Breuer, RLPL, Charvet, Ferragamo x2

Zegna hidden button down collar x3

Out of curiosity, do all of these fit you, or do you thrift with an eye for resale?

Comment

Cont'd...

and this piece that's very close to being perfect

Full canvas, 100% thick cashmere, wood buttons, crazy lining, but...

Unvented. Dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by Murph65 View Post
                              Out of curiosity, do all of these fit you, or do you thrift with an eye for resale?
                              In over a year and a half of pretty serious thrifting, I've personally found exactly five items that fit me and are part of my wardrobe.

Mainly resell and trade.

Comment

OK that makes me feel better. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X