X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 pair J Crew chinos, 1 pair J Crew dark gray cords $15 total in Manhattan

Comment

I was lucky enough to find these at the local thrift store and they actually fit. I believe they are vintage Florsheim Imperials due to the five nail heads on the sole and the metal V cleats on the heels. The uppers, which are pebble grain, are in very excellent condition and just a little shoe cream to breathe life back into the leather and it looks good as new. They were $20, not bad.

This is what they looked like new:

Comment

Originally posted by Jairus View Post
        I was lucky enough to find these at the local thrift store and they actually fit. I believe they are vintage Florsheim Imperials due to the five nail heads on the sole and the metal V cleats on the heels. The uppers, which are pebble grain, are in very excellent condition and just a little shoe cream to breathe life back into the leather and it looks good as new. They were $20, not bad.

This is what they looked like new:

great find. I have a pair of florsheim imperial cordovan PTB's. Just got new heals put on them finally.

Comment

After wearing them for about an hour I realize that I need to take them to my cobbler and get some new heels in and see if he can soften up the leather a bit. They cleaned up well, but really need to be broken in.

Comment

Found a pair of Allen Edmonds Hillcrest bicycle-toe bluchers in black for $5.40. They're in very good shape except for one thing - the interior is worn out at the heel (as pictured in the second photo). Anyone know of an easy way to repair that?

http://imgur.com/a/xCGm0/

reviews on AE.com: http://reviews.allenedmonds.com/7512...ws/reviews.htm

Comment

If it's not too bad you can a see if a cobbler can add a leather insole or even an inexpensive dr scholl insole.

Comment

Snagged a Hickey Freeman for Nordstrom blazer, made in the USA with Loro Piana Super 110s wool.

Sized 44L, plain navy (or black?), perfect condition. I'm pretty sure it's fully canvassed, as I can feel significant thickness through the chest and waist area.

Comment

Picked up a pair of burgundy Alden Full-strap loafers from from goodwill in NJ for $19.99 less $6 store credit. Mild-moderate wear on the soles and uppers in good condition. They're size 11.5 but the previous owner used tongue and heel pads, so they fit my size 11 dogs nicely:

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...pslgokyvuz.jpg
                  http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...psdillkjxo.jpg

Comment

Does thrifting have to happen at a thrift store? Cause I'm wearing out a local department store's clearance rack to the tune of 90% off. Sometimes that's cheaper than the Goodwill here.

Latest that way was today at lunch, 100% cotton Marc Anthony slim fit white on white stripe spread collar dress shirt...$10.20. That brand and cut fits me like a glove, to tailoring required. Sure beats paying $40-60.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                      Snagged a Hickey Freeman for Nordstrom blazer, made in the USA with Loro Piana Super 110s wool.

Sized 44L, plain navy (or black?), perfect condition. I'm pretty sure it's fully canvassed, as I can feel significant thickness through the chest and waist area.

I've picked up two fully canvassed Hickey Freeman blazers off eBay of late for next to nothing. One of them is a bust, but it set me back all of $6 shipped. I'm using it to learn how to do alterations on jackets.

Bad news though...we're the same size.

Comment

Originally posted by ronrob View Post
                        Does thrifting have to happen at a thrift store?
                        Yes. If it wasn't owned then donated by someone then it's not thrifted.

Comment

Well I eThrift a lot

Comment

Originally posted by JGL View Post
                            Yes. If it wasn't owned then donated by someone then it's not thrifted.
                            And here I thought it had to do with being thrifty. :\

Comment

Originally posted by ronrob View Post
                              And here I thought it had to do with being thrifty. :\
                              I'm all for being "thrifty" but if it came from a retail store then the post goes in Recent Purchases, not here.

Comment

Originally posted by JGL View Post
                                I'm all for being "thrifty" but if it came from a retail store then the post goes in Recent Purchases, not here.
                                Bingo. We're all thrifty - we're here on Dappered after all - but it takes a special breed to pull a golden thread from the other junk at thrift stores.

Comment

Working...
                                X