This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orthoguy View Post
    Best thrift find by far today! I was in a crappy thrift shop at the end of the strip mall where my daughters ballet class is, killing 30 minutes or so during her class. I cruised the through the men's section, and was about to head for the door, when I walked to the back instead. There was a table set up with some junky sneakers and one pretty dusty pair of cap toe balmorals. I saw the pinking on the tongue, picked one up, and saw the Alden logo on the insole. They were my size (9 b/d), and aside from the dust, in PERFECT condition. I cleaned them up, and even though they aren't shell, they still glow with almost a mirror shine.

Price tag: $10.00
    Pics or it didn't happen [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
      Yeah, it sounds like b.s. But I will post a few pics tomorrow. Not sure yet if I am going to hold on to them or sell them to help take the sting out of a larger purchase that I would wear more frequently, like a pair of chromexcel Indy boots.

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
        And here are some pics:
        http://imgur.com/5fnc9ua
        http://imgur.com/z0ySxyr
        http://imgur.com/UXV1Tbc

Comment

Originally posted by koala-t-menswear View Post
          Hey! I'm new to Dappered Threads, but I've been on StyFo for a while, if there are any cross posters around. Couple new items today:

I just lurk over on SF, but I think I follow you on eBay. Hahaha.

Comment

Pretty recent Zegna flannel suit in a 54 L and these guys:

Comment

Picked up 2 J Crew OCBD's, one striped lightweight and a pink 2-ply. Passed up a short sleeve madras Bonobos shirt and a fun Palm tree print short sleeve button up from J Crew (it was missing a button).

Comment

Anyone know of good thrifting spots in the DC/MD/VA area?

Comment

Originally posted by Lankus View Post
                  Unique in Fairfax and Rockville is alright, look around DC in general, and other than that, be prepared to be disappointed. There's not that many places and it's expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Lankus View Post
                    Crossroads Trading Co. on U St usually has a pretty solid selection, can be a bit pricey though. Mustard Seed in Bethesda is mostly women's but if you manage to hit it right after they stock up you can get some great deals on denim - plus Montgomery County Thrift shop is also right up the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Winters View Post
                      Crossroads Trading Co. on U St usually has a pretty solid selection, can be a bit pricey though. Mustard Seed in Bethesda is mostly women's but if you manage to hit it right after they stock up you can get some great deals on denim - plus Montgomery County Thrift shop is also right up the street.
                      Or these

Comment

cordovan!

I have been haunting the local Goodwill stores the last few weeks and have found a few nice things that fit but nothing I would bother to post. I had a good find Friday morning though and thought I would share. Walked in at opening and these were in the shoerack.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=j15wf8&s=8#.VFGJGWOex8E

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=358q...8#.VFGJQGOex8E

I apologize for the poor pics, no real camera available at the moment, used a cellphone.

AE MacNeils in color 9177 cordovan black, uppers are good except the heel lining is worn through. The are at about 85% of a full resole (not AE resole) and I had new full rubber heels put on ( $20) . The cobbler will replace the leather heel lining for $20 bringing my cost total to $44 including the original $4 at Goodwill. 10 1/2 E, I wear a 11.5 to 12.5 depending on brand although I can squeeze into these, they are tight on the toes. Probably going to ebay them or just give them to my godson who has never had really good shoes before. The insoles are dark brown but the leather is in good shape and the outsides of the uppers are excellent. These are my first time even holding a cordovan shoe and it was fascinating to take a bit of coconut oil on my finger and rub a scuff completely away.

Comment

Originally posted by winghus View Post
                          I have been haunting the local Goodwill stores the last few weeks and have found a few nice things that fit but nothing I would bother to post. I had a good find Friday morning though and thought I would share. Walked in at opening and these were in the shoerack.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=j15wf8&s=8#.VFGJGWOex8E

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=358q...8#.VFGJQGOex8E

I apologize for the poor pics, no real camera available at the moment, used a cellphone.

AE MacNeils in color 9177 cordovan black, uppers are good except the heel lining is worn through. The are at about 85% of a full resole (not AE resole) and I had new full rubber heels put on ( $20) . The cobbler will replace the leather heel lining for $20 bringing my cost total to $44 including the original $4 at Goodwill. 10 1/2 E, I wear a 11.5 to 12.5 depending on brand although I can squeeze into these, they are tight on the toes. Probably going to ebay them or just give them to my godson who has never had really good shoes before. The insoles are dark brown but the leather is in good shape and the outsides of the uppers are excellent. These are my first time even holding a cordovan shoe and it was fascinating to take a bit of coconut oil on my finger and rub a scuff completely away.
                          can't see pics.. broken links? congrats on the find!

Comment

Originally posted by thebigq View Post
                            can't see pics.. broken links? congrats on the find!

Links work for me, don't know why you can't see them.

Comment

The selvedge gods smiled upon me today and I was able to score a pair of N&F selvedge chinos weird guy fit in my size. Aside from the low rise they fit perfectly. $36 from a consignment shop. Not bad considering these retail for $150

Comment

Picked up two J Crew shirts, Brooks Brothers V-neck Sweater, and two pairs Lucky straight jeans. Total: $30

Comment

Working...
                                X