Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

came up on a nice hugo boss messenger bag/briefcase for 8 bucks! also saw a jcrew belt made in italy in brown for a dollar

Comment

I don't thrift much as where I live has slim pickings usually, but I grabbed a pair of Ballin Grey Flannel dress pants in size 33, single pleats, for $4.50. Waist fits perfect, but I need to shorten the length and may slim the legs.
      "Tempus Fugit"

Comment

What a pathetic day for thrifting. Went to 3 different GW's and found nothing worth buying. I think I need to spread out my visits so there's more fresh stock when I go

Comment

Found a Fairway and Greene gingham sport shirt and a pair of Allen Edmonds "Polo" shell cordovan shoes (confirmed by the folks over at AskAndyAboutClothes). Grand total? 15 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Alan Nelson View Post
            Found a Fairway and Greene gingham sport shirt and a pair of Allen Edmonds "Polo" shell cordovan shoes (confirmed by the folks over at AskAndyAboutClothes). Grand total? 15 bucks.
            Nice!

Comment

Picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds - Maxfield for $4 last night.

Not my first time to find quality shoes locally but the first time to find them in my size.

They may need a bit of love before I wear them out. Hopefully not too much... May have been overly excited by my find.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanR View Post
                May have been overly excited by my find.
                Definitely a danger with thrifting. I found a three piece suit and tried on the vest and coat in the store, which fit pretty good except the vest was a little short for my torso which should have been a red flag. Tried the pants on at home and there was about 6 inches of leg showing. I am tall and skinny. Previous owner must have been short and skinny. I need to get to a tailor and see if there's enough fabric in the pants to let them out.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                  Definitely a danger with thrifting. I found a three piece suit and tried on the vest and coat in the store, which fit pretty good except the vest was a little short for my torso which should have been a red flag. Tried the pants on at home and there was about 6 inches of leg showing. I am tall and skinny. Previous owner must have been short and skinny. I need to get to a tailor and see if there's enough fabric in the pants to let them out.
                  That's a pain. I picked up a Brooks Brothers suit with a 2/3 roll lapel not long ago. Sleeves are a smidgen short. I've been threatening to take it to a tailor (if I can find one local) to see if the sleeves can be let out at all.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                    there was about 6 inches of leg showing
                    Just don't wear socks and act like a Suit Supply model. The women will flock.

Comment

Tried on some casual OCBD's from GW the other day and came up short. 2 were J crew, one of which was an incredibly soft flannel, but the tail was too long. The other was a medium pink madras shirt. Nice color but it was too tight around the neck and I spotted a hole on the shoulder. Also tried on a BR Henley but again, found a hole in the fabric. You gotta really inspect clothing nowadays because thrift stores do a piss poor job of weeding out the good from the bad

Comment

Went to a consignment shop today and came across a J Crew field mechanic jacket for $42. Too bad I'm not really into that style of jacket

Comment

Hey! I'm new to Dappered Threads, but I've been on StyFo for a while, if there are any cross posters around. Couple new items today:

Contact me about gently used high end menswear and consignment.

Comment

yesterday I picked up a J Crew red chambray shirt, an Old Navy flannel and a Banana Republic OCBD. An odd thing about consignment shops is that all of the BR stuff was marked up at stupid prices, especially sweaters. I saw several merino wool v-necks with price tags of $28 to $32. I guess the sellers have a weird idea of worth when it comes to this sorta thing. my J Crew chambray was only $7 at the consignment shop.

Comment

I have been wanting a wool topcoat, but had not been wanting to spend real money on a topcoat. Enter the Goodwill. H&M, 80/20 wool/nylon, acetate lining, dark charcoal, brand new, the pockets were still sewn shut, and even my size (38R), all for 14.99. Not a bad deal in my book, to test drive a new (personal) style this fall/winter. (Pic is just over a polo)

Comment

Best thrift find by far today! I was in a crappy thrift shop at the end of the strip mall where my daughters ballet class is, killing 30 minutes or so during her class. I cruised the through the men's section, and was about to head for the door, when I walked to the back instead. There was a table set up with some junky sneakers and one pretty dusty pair of cap toe balmorals. I saw the pinking on the tongue, picked one up, and saw the Alden logo on the insole. They were my size (9 b/d), and aside from the dust, in PERFECT condition. I cleaned them up, and even though they aren't shell, they still glow with almost a mirror shine.

Price tag: $10.00

Comment

Working...
                                X