X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=8057]Jamie[/MENTION] -

Comment

That's one hell of an investment on a wing and a prayer that they sell.

Good thing Marshalls has a great 30-day return policy.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
        @Jamie -
        This wins.

And mcadamsandwich it's not a matter of if but when the G&G will sell on Ebay. He can expect at least $150 in profit per pair IMO. Not sure if he's better off consigning to Spoo or selling them on his own though, as LuxeSwap will give you great exposure but I don't know how much Spoo's cut will be.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
          That's one hell of an investment on a wing and a prayer that they sell.

Good thing Marshalls has a great 30-day return policy.
          I'm not concerned whether or not they'll sell, as G&Gs have a good history of selling for $600-$800 on ebay. Will they sell the second I put them up? Not likely, but its not like I can't pay my credit card bill until they sell or anything. There's not a ton of demand for shoes that sell for several hundred dollars, but just as someone here would happily lay down $150 -$200 for NIB AE Strands, someone (far wealthier than I) will do the same for a pair of G&Gs that's priced at half retail...eventually.

Comment

I've found what appears to be some AE Bentons for $25 at the local salvation army. Looks like they're not going for sale on ebay for enough to warrant trying to sell them there though. Are they not especially lusted after? I see AE shoes going for well over 100 bucks, but Bentons seem to cap out at 50.

Comment

I'm curious, how often do you guys go thrifting? Do you primarily thrift for yourselves or do you do it to flip stuff on eBay?

I try to go at least once a week if time permits. The majority of things I buy are casual clothes and maybe some baby clothes for my son. I don't buy used shoes, I rarely look at suits because I never find anything worth buying, and there are never dress shirts in my size. The only dress accessory I've had occasional luck with has been ties, but even then I'm picky. For example, I've come across used Kiton and Brioni ties in the past, but the patterns were so ugly I left them behind.

I seem to have better luck finding NWOT stuff in casual more than dress.

Comment

Next time you find a Kiton tie, send it to me.

Comment

I'll be honest, I find the idea of thrifting to flip stuff a little dickish. If it's something you're going to use/alter/etc. then more power to you, but otherwise my opinion is to leave it to people that may _need_ a $20 suit to improve their life. Just this guy's opinion.

Comment

Hey! Thrifting to flip! Alex! LOOK AWAY.

Two summery RLPLs. A little dirty, but should clean up nicely. A shame they're way too big.

Comment

Picked up a NWT Wolverine Bryce vest while thrifting. Didn't save much. The tag had a retail price of $49.99 but they were selling it for $19.99. Either way, I like it

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
                        Picked up a NWT Wolverine Bryce vest while thrifting. Didn't save much. The tag had a retail price of $49.99 but they were selling it for $19.99. Either way, I like it
                        Sounds like you saved $30.00 / 60% off of the retail price. While I wouldn't call it a "thrift store price", you still saved a good amount on a desired item.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc999 View Post
                          Sounds like you saved $30.00 / 60% off of the retail price. While I wouldn't call it a "thrift store price", you still saved a good amount on a desired item.
                          oh yeah, i'm not really complaining, it's just that this particular thrift store chain seems to have inconsistent prices on their NWT/NWOT items. For example, a couple months ago I thrifted a NWOT North Face pullover fleece jacket and only paid $14.99. when I bought the vest there was another Wolverine vest next to it that appeared used and it still had the same price tag of $19.99. This thrift chain is also not a registered 501c non-profit, so they tend to inflate their used prices, especially on name brand items. this of course might be the growing trend with thrift stores as i've heard that GW has also been raising their prices.

Comment

First time post and first time thrifting

I came across this thread a few days ago and was inspired to check the local Goodwill near my office. Allen Edmonds Sanford's in my size for $14.99. They looks to be in pretty good shape.

I already have a pair of AE Strands in Walnut so I am going to have them refinished to a dark burgundy / cordovan color.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinj3 View Post
                              I came across this thread a few days ago and was inspired to check the local Goodwill near my office. Allen Edmonds Sanford's in my size for $14.99. They looks to be in pretty good shape.

I already have a pair of AE Strands in Walnut so I am going to have them refinished to a dark burgundy / cordovan color.
                              Wow. Great find.

My first (and only) attempt at Dappered-inspired thrifting led me to a pair of black Park Avenues in my size. Then I got home and realized the leather was cracked.

Comment

Here are those same shoes but refinished to a new color.

Comment

Working...
                                X