X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome haul Cotoks. Congrats!

Comment

I looked up those AE's and I believe they made out of sharkskin. If you email or call AE with the shoe serial number, they will tell you the year they were made and what they are made out of, if you ask. Cool looking shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
        I looked up those AE's and I believe they made out of sharkskin. If you email or call AE with the shoe serial number, they will tell you the year they are made and what they are made out of, if you ask. Cool looking shoe.
        Interesting - I've also been told they may be wildebeest. I've had good luck identifying shoes through AE customer service. Thanks!

Comment

Lots of good stuff there. I really like the churches, florsheim and santoni. I haven't been going out much lately. Have a trip to Mexico coming up and am trying to limit spending until then.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
            Lots of good stuff there. I really like the churches, florsheim and santoni. I haven't been going out much lately. Have a trip to Mexico coming up and am trying to limit spending until then.
            Thanks! I can't decide if that's the original finish on the Church's, or if the previous owner hit them with some black polish. The patina is unique that's for sure.

Comment

Where do you live that you find this stuff...? Also, if any of the shoes are a 9 that you're looking to sell, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
                Where do you live that you find this stuff...? Also, if any of the shoes are a 9 that you're looking to sell, let me know.
                In my experience, thrifters don't like to tell you where they thrift...especially if they are flippers. I get it I guess.
                Last edited by idvsego; July 3, 2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                  In my experience, thrifters don't like tot ell you where they thrift...especially if they are flippers. I get it I guess.
                  True, I hadn't thought of that. I'm just curious how you all manage to find tons of really high end stuff on a regular basis.

Comment

you and me both.

Comment

Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
                      True, I hadn't thought of that. I'm just curious how you all manage to find tons of really high end stuff on a regular basis.
                      I live in Kansas City, Missouri. Not exactly a hotbed for high-end menswear, but it's out there. I would be happy to share with veteran Dappered members the stores I frequently visit via PM.

"Regular basis" is relative. The guys who are finding great stuff either a) live in (or close to) a highly populated, wealthy urban area, or b) spend A LOT of time in thrift stores. More than likely, it's both. The learning curve is steep, but once you get the hang of it, you can scan stores fairly quickly.

Here are the sizes of the shoes I posted yesterday:

Vtg LL Bean boots: 9 M
                      Church's: 9.5 D
                      E.T. Wright: 10.5 A
                      Santoni: 9.5 D
                      Grenson: 10 D
                      Florsheim Royal Imperials: 11 C
                      AE Wildebeest (confirmed in 1981 catalog): 8.5 C

Comment

[MENTION=8849]cotoks[/MENTION] I was just in kc yesterday, but I spent the day in antique stores. thrifting there has always been a waste of time for me. I guess I should rethink that after seeing your haul.

Comment

Today I thrifted a NWOT North Face fleece pullover for $12. Aside from the North Face convertible pants I scored 2 weeks ago I never find TNF stuff while thrifting.

I also came across a NWT LL Bean field jacket in size large @ Goodwill but passed on it. I guess I could've flipped it on eBay but I thought I read something somewhere about QC issues they've been having lately. It was only $9.99

Comment

Traded a recent BB suit in 39 R to someone on SF. He's going to sell it on ebay. What did I get in return?

40-percent cashmere St. Andrews sportcoat

Polo Italy Flax sportcoat

I'm heading to the tailor tomorrow to get the sleeves shortened. Other than that, these guys are ready to roll.

Comment

Just started thrifting two weeks ago. This week I got NWT seersucker in 42 R / 38 for $10. Also picked up these AE Graysons in 12 R for cheap.

The AE are up for sale or trade if anyone has interest.

Comment

I've recently started browsing thrift stores as a frugal way to upgrade my wardrobe.

I'm curious if I did a good job today - this is new to me. What do you think?

1. Wool/silk trousers. Clearly was part of a suit but couldn't find the jacket anyplace. Label suggests that the fabric is Zenga? They have pleats. Do you think they'd work as odd trousers?

2. Emilio Zenga cashmere sport coat. Fits perfectly. When I got it home I saw that the back seam looks like it has been pulled. (Newbie mistake.). Anyone know if a good tailor could fix that?

3. Not too exciting but decent JAB wool/silk sports coat. Again - fits great.

Comment

Working...
                                X