This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loake made for Britches of Georgetown.

9 D, U.S. sizing. Fit toward the narrow size, but seem to be a standard 9 length.

Pretty amazing condition. Color is a deep brown with red undertones. Available.

Pro tip: Find out what top-tier makers produced shoes for long-departed department stores. Ebay to your heart's content.

Comment

I picked up a couple of Lands End shirts, a silk Italian tie and an unlined cotton LL Bean blazer for $7.50 today.

Comment

Originally posted by jonATL View Post
        Loake made for Britches of Georgetown.

9 D, U.S. sizing. Fit toward the narrow size, but seem to be a standard 9 length.

Pretty amazing condition. Color is a deep brown with red undertones. Available.

Pro tip: Find out what top-tier makers produced shoes for long-departed department stores. Ebay to your heart's content.
        Used shoes make my skin crawl. Still can't figure out why anyone would wear used shoes that someone else's disgusting feet have been in

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
          Used shoes make my skin crawl. Still can't figure out why anyone would wear used shoes that someone else's disgusting feet have been in
          Meh. Disenfect and wear socks. The door handles you touch on a daily basis are worse.

Comment

longtime reader/lurker, first time poster. i make a living thrifting. only about 2 years ago that I started to collect things I found at thrift stores to wear. i also started a vintage clothing business here in nyc as a result.

anyways, here are my thrift finds last week:

Nudie Jeans Grim Tim 32/30 - I love Nudie Jeans! They are "true" slim jeans and they have length sizes 30/32 as suppose to 34. This is my 3rd pair and I can't get enough of it!

G-Star Raw Jeans - 33/32 - I had to alter these. I made it a skinny jean.

JCrew Tailored Fit Shirt L - Not really tailored fit.

Rockport Suede Saddle Shoes 6.5 (fits like 7) - I've always wanted a saddle shoe that I could wear without socks. This was perfect at $12! It was barely used.

Comment

Originally posted by cotoks View Post
              Meh. Disenfect and wear socks. The door handles you touch on a daily basis are worse.
              Sorry but no amount of disinfectant will remove the funk of someone else's feet from used shoes. They're tainted.

As for the door knob comparison, washing my hands solves that problem, whereas, you're talking about microbial germs in every nook and cranny of someone's shoe.

But whatever, if it works for other people then knock yourselves out.

Comment

Door knobs are usually not a pourous material. Usually metal. Shoes are fabric and leather. Completely different.

Comment

Same here. I can't do used shoes. And, especially if it's a good shoe, the leather will have conformed to someone else's feet, and they're not going to feel right to you.

Comment

I find it hard to do most things used, with the exception of perhaps ties, pocket squares, and (very rarely) jackets.

Comment

I have found a few ties (stafford, BB, and other randoms) and a couple of blazers but that is all. I find good shirts all the time but never in a good fit for me. I don't have the patience to go through the pants very often. Again, fitment is an issue so it isn't usually worth it. I still enjoy it but I go for books, records, and electronics as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
                        But whatever, if it works for other people then knock yourselves out.

Nobody's making you guys wear used clothing, so why not just disregard the thrift thread?

If anyone is into fashion-forward stuff, this is a standalone SC (not an orphan). Made in Italy by Lardini for John Varvatos. Would work for a 38 R or even an L.

Brown with red pinstripes. Peak lapels. Only a certain kind of person could rock this.

Comment

Nobody's making you guys wear used clothing, so why not just disregard the thrift thread?
                          Because this is an online forum?

Besides, you can thrift many accessories (e.g. ties, pocket squares) and other style elements that are not clothing per se (e.g. bags, watches, cuff links, tie clips).

Comment

my comment was specifically directed at used shoes, not used clothing. two completely different things. I buy a lot of used clothing, but I don't have the same revulsion with a used button up shirt (or pants, shorts, etc) that I can wash versus a funked up pair of ratty old dress shoes.

Comment

John Mclane didn't like used shoes and he got feet full of broken glass. Im just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                                Same here. I can't do used shoes. And, especially if it's a good shoe, the leather will have conformed to someone else's feet, and they're not going to feel right to you.
                                I see your point but 3 of my regular rotation are used and comfort and other people's issues haven't been a problem. With dress shoes I expect I am getting a lot of shoes from people who recently retired and cleared out and they all have appeared to have been sock wearers. Guess

I am gradually replacing with new but it takes time to save up.

Comment

Working...
                                X