Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't stand actual thrift shops. There's way too much junk to try and wade through. Who wants to spend his time that way?

On the other hand, if you live near a good vintage clothing store, consider yourself lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
      I can't stand actual thrift shops. There's way too much junk to try and wade through. Who wants to spend his time that way?
      People who enjoy the treasure hunt and want to stock their closets for pennies on the dollar.

Also this. And this.

Comment

Originally posted by cotoks View Post
        People who enjoy the treasure hunt and want to stock their closets for pennies on the dollar.
        Yes it is the treasure hunt for me too. Also lets me try out some ideas to see if I like them before I spend a ton on money.

I am in e- thrifted Allen Edmonds brogues, thrifted Samuelsohn jacket and some thrifted Joseph Abboud pants today. Paid about 80 bucks total as the shoes were 60.

Comment

So is the idea of thrifting to flip stuff on eBay? Or find treasures for oneself?

I guess I don't have the patience, regardless, and maybe it's just because I've never been successful. I got into it a few years back with someone who liked it, and we would spend hours and hours of our weekend going from thrift shop to thrift shop. I'd find nothing, and I'd go home depressed about wasting all that time in musty shops looking through junk when I could have been outside enjoying the sunshine. That's when I discovered vintage clothing stores, and yes, you do pay more there, but the nice thing is, somebody else has spent all those hours rummaging around in those musty old shops.

But even in vintage places, the discoveries were very rare. In about 12 hours over a year going to those places, I found maybe one or two items that were keepers.

I'm also really picky about cleanliness and wear. Even the best vintage stuff I ran across felt dirty and worn, to me.

Comment

12 hours a year? Wow. Ummmm ........

Comment

Your point? In other words, for a while, I was going vintage shopping about one weekend a month for about an hour.

Sorry if I wasn't a more compulsive shopper, LOL. Or are you saying that's excessive?

Comment

First and foremost the idea is to find items for myself. But I won't leave highly coveted items if I know someone else might want them.

The more time you spend thrifting, the easier it becomes to scan stores quickly. I don't do it as much as I used to, but I'll still hit a couple stores during the week. It's a hobby that just seemed like a natural progression stemming from an acquired interest in menswear. I've become much more knowledgeable on what makes a quality garment, and have developed my photography skills and general sales abilities through my interactions on eBay.

Comment

Your point? In other words, for a while, I was going vintage shopping about one weekend a month for about an hour.

Sorry if I wasn't a more compulsive shopper, LOL. Or are you saying that's excessive?
                  There are people who spend 12 hours a week in thrift/consignment/vintage shops. Honestly, finding one or two items that were keepers when you visited a vintage shop once a month for a year is a pretty high success rate. If it's not your cup of tea, that's great. But it's unfair for you to dismiss the hobby and say "who wants to spend his time that way" when you haven't put in the time yourself. That's like saying nobody should play tennis because you couldn't figure out how to hit a consistent serve after playing for 12 hours cumulative (apples to oranges but you get the point).

Comment

Ha ha, okay, sorry if I hit a nerve. I didn't mean to sound dismissive.

Comment

Hah I realized after I posted that I should've probably just received a "u mad" response.

Comment

So is the idea of thrifting to flip stuff on eBay? Or find treasures for oneself?
                        For myself. In my case it is out of economic necessity - 4 mouths to feed an one income means the time is well spent. My kids wear a fair amount of thrifted clothing.

But I also enjoy it and as [MENTION=8849]cotoks[/MENTION] says it is pretty easy once you have the hang of your local shops. I'll do it to unwind in the evening or on a Saturday when I don't want to kick around the mall and look at the same old stuff. An hour a week would be a lot for me - more like popping in for 15 minutes on my way to something else.

Comment

Originally posted by cotoks View Post
                          There are people who spend 12 hours a week in thrift/consignment/vintage shops. Honestly, finding one or two items that were keepers when you visited a vintage shop once a month for a year is a pretty high success rate. If it's not your cup of tea, that's great. But it's unfair for you to dismiss the hobby and say "who wants to spend his time that way" when you haven't put in the time yourself. That's like saying nobody should play tennis because you couldn't figure out how to hit a consistent serve after playing for 12 hours cumulative (apples to oranges but you get the point).

Speaking of finding keepers .... where's that T&A sportcoat you picked up recently? SELL IT TO ME.

Comment

Found an nice looking small paisley pattern tie, flipped to the back, italian silk flipped back to the front to find a coffee stain

Also a couple nice looking italian suits in huuuuuuuuuge sizes.

You win again thrift store.

Comment

Originally posted by jonATL View Post
                              Speaking of finding keepers .... where's that T&A sportcoat you picked up recently? SELL IT TO ME.
                              It's hanging in my closet in plastic wrap next to the big E non-repro selvedge 501s that I can't bring myself to let go of.

Comment

Sometimes you can find great deals at thrift shops like the saying goes which I don't know much about but heard it I might be saying it wrong so please don't quote me

" one man's trash is another man's treasure "

Comment

Working...
                                X