Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thrifting

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by andrewlcraft View Post
    Thanks for the compliments yoyo! Yeah, Jordache, probably not. I found a tan one that fits pretty darn good too just before this brown one.

    I should have taken the time to set up the camera for the Ludlow jacket. It is bigger than the cord, the cord is as small as I can wear. I think my arm being up and the patch pockets make it look bigger than it is.

    I here you on changing opinions. I'm hit or miss when it comes to patch pockets, but I do like these. I'll see if I can't set up the real camera...

    ...and here we go...could nip the sides a bit, but not bad...

    I agree, just a bit taken in at the
    sides, but other than that it looks
    spot on.

    What shoes are you wearing in that second pic? They look great!

    Comment


      @andrew, it looks like the sleeves could use some work too. Luckily that's usually pretty cheap. Looks like they could be slimmed a bit to reduce all of that fabric bunching.
      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

      Comment


        Thanks for the input guys!

        The shoes in the second pic are J&M Aristocraft single monks. I really like em, especially the medallion on the toe, but the glued sole is starting to come apart, so I think I'm going to just do a quick shoe-goo type repair until I can justify getting a pair of the new Jack Erwin single monks.

        Comment


          Would any of you guys be able to give me advice on these Indy boots on Ebay?

          They seem to be priced lower than other Indy boots on ebay, maybe because they are in a larger size or because the listing is not spelling Indy correctly. Or it seems like the J Crew version of these boots is slightly less popular, at least around here.

          I had to send my AE boots away for repair and "need" other boots.

          I don't like that there are taps on them. My office has concrete floors and taps make me slip, but I think they can be removed and the holes repaired.

          What does the black marker mark inside the boots mean?
          http://m.ebay.com/itm/291028593538?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

          It seems like the guy selling these has sharp taste so maybe he is one of you?

          Comment


            I suspect the misspelling is the major cause of the low pricing. I once picked up a Burberry trench for about $50 on eBay because the coat was described as "Burberrys" and did not pop up in searches for "Burberry." Similar trenches were going for $200+ at the time.
            Ben

            Comment


              Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              I suspect the misspelling is the major cause of the low pricing. I once picked up a Burberry trench for about $50 on eBay because the coat was described as "Burberrys" and did not pop up in searches for "Burberry." Similar trenches were going for $200+ at the time.
              Let's see some photos! I have three Burberry trench coats. Olive, khaki double and khaki single breasted coats. All 50-75$.

              Comment


                Hickey Freeman sport coat snagged at Salvation Army tonight on the way home from work:

                Here's hoping the sleeves can be let out/down enough.

                Whadd'ya think?

                BTW, please excuse the crud-smudged mirror. Salvation Army doesn't typically seem to keep the dressing rooms very clean, from my experience at least.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                  Let's see some photos! I have three Burberry trench coats. Olive, khaki double and khaki single breasted coats. All 50-75$.
                  That trench has been living in storage for a while. I realized after buying it that a trench coat isn't really my style, nor very practical for my needs.
                  Ben

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                    Hickey Freeman sport coat snagged at Salvation Army tonight on the way home from work:
                    [/I]
                    Great find, yoyo. Looks great except for the sleeves. Strange that they were made so short, in comparison to the jacket length. Hopefully there is room to let down the sleeves.

                    The pattern looks good, but I can't see it that well.

                    I love the lapels and the button stance. Old school!!
                    Last edited by LCDR; December 4, 2013, 10:49 PM.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                      Great find, yoyo. Looks great except for the sleeves. Strange that they were made so short, in comparison to the jacket length. Hopefully there is room to let down the sleeves.

                      The pattern looks good, but I can't see it that well.

                      I love the lapels and the button stance. Old school!!
                      Agreed, it's a great jacket. As for the sleeves - come to my city. You'll find all manner of nice old jackets meant for people w/ t-rex arms. It's frustrating.

                      Comment


                        Saw someone mention London Fog topcoats earlier in the thread. A lot of them in thrift stores. Are they any good?

                        Comment


                          Solid topcoats if they fit properly and is something you want/need, but not really valuable in terms of resale.

                          Comment


                            I finally took some good pics of the barbour find. It's 30 years old, and AWESOME. But I think I might throw it on ebay in order to fund something a bit shorter and a tad bit more roomy in the chest.


                            Comment


                              Originally posted by jonATL View Post
                              I finally took some good pics of the barbour find. It's 30 years old, and AWESOME. But I think I might throw it on ebay in order to fund something a bit shorter and a tad bit more roomy in the chest.


                              I'll take it! What do the numbers on the label mean in terms of sizing?

                              Comment


                                ... and it's gone through trade for a different style Barbour.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X