Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ 28.5, huh? That sounds like my size, but I can only trade right now, unfortunately.

Is that just a solid navy or is there some texture to it? Unfortunately the inclusion of a drop can't be trusted because it seems like everyone puts a drop measurement on everything.

Comment

Solid navy, no texture. So it could be orphaned or it could just be a worsted navy blazer (I've got one from... Eddie Bauer of all places).

Can I get more than $199 for this? Between the short size and the fact that it seems people don't often search for caruso as much as say Canali on ebay (mindblowing but whatever) the sold listings aren't too encouraging, but those pieces also aren't staples. That's why I figured I'd start the auction at $199 in case a couple people get interested. Hey maybe PTO will pick it up :P

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
        half-canvassed,
        Really? I didn't realize Caruso made half-canvassed stuff, I thought they were all fully canvassed.

Comment

I could be wrong but I didn't feel canvassing below/around the pockets. Should it be as thick as the chest area or does it thin out considerably?

Comment

Thins out considerably. Rub a spot near the bottom of the front of the jacket between your fingers. Can you feel 2 layers or 3? I bet you'll feel a 3rd layer meaning it's fully canvassed.

Comment

You can also google "pinch test" if you're not sure you're doing it right. Here are a few links:
              http://putthison.com/post/2817493175...h-test-id-been
              http://putthison.com/post/3571070668...en-a-fused-and
              http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/0...nvassed-suits/

I have 2 Caruso suits and both are fully-canvassed. I bet your jacket is too.

Comment

Not sure if it's a suit jacket. Could definitely be worn as a more formal blazer. Double-vented, half-canvassed, really classic for the most part. Buttons are dark. There were no pants associated with it and the jacket is on the short end (28.5" from BOC w/ 25" sleeves!? At least the sleeves are nonfunctional so a 40S can shorten them cheaply) I've got it scheduled to go up in the ad as a "Blazer" - is that a mistake? And how much more would I lose w/ a BIN vs an auction?
                I'm no expert and I apologize up front if this is common knowledge to you, but there are a lot of things to consider when deciding whether to put an item up for auction or BIN/OBO. Do you have a decent seller's history? This will affect where your listing is placed in searches.

I started flipping items I find at thrift stores on eBay about three months ago (around 40 sales total), and I've had more luck selling suits/sport coats at BIN. Given the fact that your blazer has odd measurements, could possibly be an orphan, is from a lesser known brand (albeit much higher quality), etc., I would personally list it at your expected high end 30 day BIN and include the OBO option.

There's always someone somewhere who is looking for exactly what you're selling, but you either have to be patient or be willing to sell at a price lower than anticipated to get your money sooner. If you do decide to list as an auction, I would suggest listing it as a 10 day auction that begins tomorrow evening. Having a high starting bid is a good way to protect yourself from selling at a loss, but will also affect where your listing is placed (items with bids are given more priority).

Comment

Originally posted by cotoks View Post
                  I'm no expert and I apologize up front if this is common knowledge to you, but there are a lot of things to consider when deciding whether to put an item up for auction or BIN/OBO. Do you have a decent seller's history? This will affect where your listing is placed in searches.

I started flipping items I find at thrift stores on eBay about three months ago (around 40 sales total), and I've had more luck selling suits/sport coats at BIN. Given the fact that your blazer has odd measurements, could possibly be an orphan, is from a lesser known brand (albeit much higher quality), etc., I would personally list it at your expected high end 30 day BIN and include the OBO option.

There's always someone somewhere who is looking for exactly what you're selling, but you either have to be patient or be willing to sell at a price lower than anticipated to get your money sooner. If you do decide to list as an auction, I would suggest listing it as a 10 day auction that begins tomorrow evening. Having a high starting bid is a good way to protect yourself from selling at a loss, but will also affect where your listing is placed (items with bids are given more priority).
                  cotoks, this is interesting info that I, at least, was not aware of. I actually have a number of items that I am interested in selling on ebay, but have been too intimidated to list them so far. I've bought plenty of things on ebay, but this would be my first foray into selling... Any suggestions from the experienced ebayers on where to look to learn some tips/pointers for a newbie such as myself?

Comment

I would guess JonATL is by far the most experienced eBay seller here. Maybe he'll chime in. I've sold a few dozen things probably but no where near the volume of him. Look at a very successful seller like balearic1 (SpooPoker from SF) and see how he does his listings. Lots of pics, lots of measurements, good descriptions, etc.

Comment

I took a look at Spoo's listings before I wrote mine up last night. Made sure to include lots of measurements and pics (didn't post them all here) He's a power seller and has the ability to do 99c starting auctions. I have no selling history so my friend advised me to have a high starting price. Cotoks, that's interesting advice. Maybe I should list it 30day at $299 OBO? That just seems awfully high though.

Comment

Up to you, but you might want to try Swap & Shop here and SF classifieds first with the Caruso. The last 4 pairs of shoes (and a lot of 8 shirts) I've sold I've sold either here or on SF and have gotten basically the same price I probably would have gotten on eBay without having to pay any of their fees. Every time I've done it, I've done it with the intention of letting it sit for a week and then going to eBay but I've been lucky enough to always have gotten a buyer. Come to think of it, I do have a couple more pairs of shoes I'm not really wearing ...

Comment

Is there a fee associated w/ taking down an auction before it ends?

Comment

Is there a fee associated w/ taking down an auction before it ends?
                            Typically speaking, you only lose the auction insertion fee. However, eBay is letting a TON of auctions get listed for free.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                              Typically speaking, you only lose the auction insertion fee. However, eBay is letting a TON of auctions get listed for free.
                              I've seen auctions end early due to "errors in the description" which I think is code for "bypassed ebay and sold directly to buyer"...

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                                cotoks, this is interesting info that I, at least, was not aware of. I actually have a number of items that I am interested in selling on ebay, but have been too intimidated to list them so far. I've bought plenty of things on ebay, but this would be my first foray into selling... Any suggestions from the experienced ebayers on where to look to learn some tips/pointers for a newbie such as myself?
                                http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/b...lems-questions

This is the best resource on the internet. Obviously difficult to navigate since it's an internet thread, but virtually everything you need to know has been discussed ad nauseam (auction vs. BIN, pricing, photography setups, shipping, PayPal, dealing with problem buyers, etc...).

I think I read something on that SF thread that said "eBay is just a thinly veiled photography contest." Obviously there's more to it than that, but having good pictures, a good description, accurate measurements, and a good product should lead to sales. Trial by fire is what worked for me. I've sold some very nice items for pennies, but have also turned a pretty good profit on others.

Totally agree with Fred - if it's quality menswear you're looking to sell, list it here or on SF first. People who visit these sites will be more keen to the value, and you won't get dinged with all of the fees associated with eBay and PayPal.

Comment

Working...
                                X