Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arg... I guess the other part of the tip that the little old ladies who run the synagogue thrift store don't always feel like going in to open it up was true too.

Comment

lol that sucks, hopefully its not too far out of the way.

Comment

Was out of town for a few days. Will post pics of the BB shirts in the next day or two. FWIW, they don't say "slim fit" or "trim fit" so I'd assume they are a tradition/classic fit.

Comment

I went to the synagogue thrift store today. My haul was:

1 Gieves and Hawkes of Savile Row navy blazer

1 Gieves and Hawkes grey w/ red pinstripe windowpane sportcoat (I'm going to call it a sportcoat even through it may have been a suit coat)

1 Oxxford grey suit

1 Grey suit from someplace in London (I forget) that looked and felt nice

1 pair Ferragamo light brown loafers

1 Liberty of London tie

1 Hickey Freeman tie

1 pair silver cufflinks

1 silver tie clip

All of them fit me perfectly... One of the coats might need the sleeves shortened a bit. I felt a little guilty paying just under $40 for all of that.

I left a Hickey Freeman cream and dark grey glen plaid suit with a subtle blue pinstripe and a brown glen plaid Brooks Brothers 346 suit, both size 37 (if anyone's interested, let me know). I'll post pics of them tonight.

Comment

@ JC - Wow! You should feel guilty, that's a steal! Looking forward to pics of everything. I'm jealous, I wish we had a place like that around here. Or maybe we do and I just haven't found it...

Do you have a monster closet for all that stuff? From your thrifting finds alone it seems like at least walk-in size...

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

@YackoYak It's pretty big, but not a walk-in. I just re-organized it this weekend and added a hanging shelf unit to hold my folded sweaters and added a bunch of cedar things to keep the moths away.

If anyone's interested in the 2 suits I left behind let me know when I put up pictures.... Also, if anyone who wears a 31 waist wants the nudie jeans I found I'll give you guys first crack at them before I put them on eBay. I'll put up pics of all tonight.

Comment

37 suits eh? I might be interested in those. Looking forward to the pics.

Also, congrats on your find - that sounds like a serious haul. Hope your closet doesn't burst from all the new stuff. I just went though and cleared my closet of some giveaway stuff to accommodate my new thrifted things.

Ben

Comment

Its probably a common problem for many of us on here, but I'm Having the hardest time accommodating all my clothes and accessories in 1 closet. I require 1 closet, two dressers, and 1 portable closet.

How do you all accommodate your clothes, shoes, accessories, ties, belts? Especially after a haul like you had JC?

Comment

My share of the closet space: a 5' wide closet w/ rods at two heights, one dresser (about 3w x 2d x 4h), and one pantry-sized closet with shelves from floor to ceiling.

I hang ties on a motorized rack. Belts get their own hook type rack on the wall. Watches, tiebars, and cufflinks are all in a modified watch box. I roll pocket squares and fold handkerchiefs before stacking them in shallow boxes.

I have been increasingly picky about what I keep, and if I haven't worn it in a year I donate it. If I'm unsure/attached, it goes into "purgatory" for a couple months. Buy one thing new? One thing old has to go. Recently I had the revelation that I'm no longer in college (I'm 30+) and don't need three weeks worth of t-shirts (or three weeks of anything). Trying to accept that I don't *need* 'formal' and 'casual' versions, controlling that "fill the gap" mentality (all colors), etc. This is especially hard when thrifting.

EDIT: Agree with Ben below, especially on the winter storage.

At least I'm not at the point of 'rescuing' clothes *yet* - IE, let me get this now because no one else can appreciate it like I can...

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

It helps if you put seasonally irrelevant clothing into storage. So in summer, put away all your coats, snow boots, and thick sweaters. In winter, store your swim trunks, shorts, boat shoes, and sandals. Just make sure to store them with some pieces of cedar to keep away the bugs.

I use one medium-sized closet (5 ft long) and a 4-drawer dresser. In my closet, there is plenty of room for my jackets, pants, and button-down shirts, plus my tie/belt hanger. In my dresser I keep my underclothes, sweaters, t-shirts/polos, and athletic wear. Whenever I notice space getting tight, I go through stuff and A) refold things carefully, and B) put together a pile of things I don't wear anymore for donation. That seems to give me enough room for the stuff I have.

Ben

Comment

Okay, here's some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113945713053434575160/Thrifting?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLihM3S8Puy_wE#5667241328 946422834

Pics 25-27 are of the Gieves and Hawkes "sportcoat"... It feels incredible and fits so well.

Pics 28-30 are of the Gieves and Hawkes navy blazer. It's missing one of these "G & H" buttons on the right sleeve, so I've gotta try and find one.

Pics 31-33 are of the Oxxford suit. It's a thick flannel wool with a subtle herringbone. It might need an inch or two of waist suppression but overall it fits almost perfectly including the inseam and has cuffs just like I like.

Pics 34-35 are of the ties

Pic 36 is of the Ferragamo loafers. They might need new soles before too long.

Pics 37-38 are of the size 37 Hickey Freeman suit I left behind. I didn't get any pics of the Brooks Brothers 346 but it was a pretty standard brown glen plaid.

The other suit I got has okay feeling fabric, but the sleeves were too long, the pants size was all off (there was really nowhere to try on pants). I found that the maker, Gerald Austin, Bond Street London, is really a maker from Korea and the suit was made in Korea (should have looked closer). Oh, well... I'll re-donate it and look closer next time.

Comment

@ Jason - Did you happen to notice if the 37 Hickey Freeman had any darting at the sides? Or was it a conventional sack suit? I would definitely be interested if it had a bit of a tailored fit....

Ben

Comment

Sorry, I'm not really sure. I was in a hurry and already taking too long a lunch

Comment

Haha, that's ok. :-P I already own a glen plaid suit and am not in desperate need for another one, but it's easy to get seduced by a good deal....

Ben

Comment

If it's there and cut slim the next time I'm there, would you like me to pick it up?

Comment

Working...
                                X