This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys make me jealous.

Thrifting here is pretty unfulfilling. Have never, ever seen shoes even worth considering buying - both due to brand and condition. Same generally for clothes. I'll keep trying, but I've never had much luck.

Comment

Went to the Goodwill to find some beater jeans for a camping trip next week, and found these:

Goodyear welted work boots from Montgomery Ward that had never been laced! Those will work just fine.

I was also looking for a large flannel to layer up with and found this instead:

Got some cheap Levi's, too. Not a bad trip.

Comment

Damn, maybe I should try and flip those boots!
        http://www.etsy.com/listing/12012542...ens-work-boots

Comment

I don't think he has any chance of selling those boots at that price. Here are completed listings from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Mens-Shoes-/...ery+ward+boots

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
            I don't think he has any chance of selling those boots at that price. Here are completed listings from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Mens-Shoes-/...ery+ward+boots
            Yeah I saw those too. I'm just going to wear 'em as I intended.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member and heavy thrifter of late. I've compiled a nice collection of vintage shoes. And a few current models. Below is a partial list of shoes

Bostonian Florentine two - tone oxfords made in Italy
              J&M Aristocraft Made In USA
              Alden Brogues Made In USA
              Bally Kilt Loafers 10.5 Available
              Salvatore Ferragamo Pebble Grain
              AE Woodstock Kilt Loafers Made In USA - 11.5 Available
              J&M Ox Blood Wingtip Brogues
              Ecco Weave Loafers - 11.5 Available
              Florshiem Kilt Wingtip Loafers
              Grensons Bench made Tassell Loafer
              G.H. Bass WeeJuns Made In USA

I have plenty of shirts, ties, pants, and sport coats that I will also post later.

I will post photos soon

Comment

Always find it incredible the stuff people find thrifting. I never have any luck with it. When I do find one of those goldmine vintage stores, the stuff is great but it's always either too large or too small. When I troll GW and SA, it's nothing but junk. I don't know how you guys do it.

Comment

Well, it varies a lot by location. I live in a major metropolitan area, and for some reason good stuff turns up form time to time in my local shop. I stop by once a week.

Comment

Found a pair of grey suede Robert Wayne desert boots for 3.99 at the GW today. Now I can stop looking longingly at j.crew's that I can't bring myself to drop the coin on.

Comment

Picked up a pair of Alan McAfee oxhide wingtips at a local thrift shop. Looks like they were a pretty good find after doing some research on em. Not as much info as I'd like to find though. These seem to be from the mid 60's *maybe* and are in great shape. Anyone with info on the brand would be much appreciated!

Comment

And cleaned up! The standing pic is the closest to true color, they are fairly dark.

Comment

Those look cool, Andrew. I'm not always on-board with pebble-grain (I *think* that's what those are there, right?), but yours there are a good-looking version of that style. I have a pair of vintage Dexters that have a very similar look, albeit in an orange-ish cognac hue (leaning more orange). Mine are just a little too tight for me though. Sometimes a thrift goes that way - from "Score!" to "meh."

Again, those you've found there look very cool. Wear them well!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                            Those look cool, Andrew. I'm not always on-board with pebble-grain (I *think* that's what those are there, right?), but yours there are a good-looking version of that style. I have a pair of vintage Dexters that have a very similar look, albeit in an orange-ish cognac hue (leaning more orange). Mine are just a little too tight for me though. Sometimes a thrift goes that way - from "Score!" to "meh."

Again, those you've found there look very cool. Wear them well!
                            I agree that the shoes are cool. I've never seen that hybrid short wing/long wing look. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                              I agree that the shoes are cool. I've never seen that hybrid short wing/long wing look. I like it.
                              The short/long wing is what sold me. Not a fan of traditional long wings, but these caught my eye.
                              For the leather, a normal pebble grain is a pressed in pattern, these are labeled "ranch oxhide" and apparently are made from buffalo or bison and the texture is natural to the leather. There's virtually no creasing on these things and from the soles they appear to have been worn a decent amount.

Comment

Thrifting

Snagged a pair of Edward Green single monks and a pair of AE Park Aves today for a great deal. Both pairs need new soles, but the uppers are clean. Not my size but they'll make someone happy. Just wish I had smaller feet..

Comment

Working...
                                X