Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to see what all of the fuss was about so I ventured inside a Goodwill for the first time in my life this week, with the exception of mistakenly taking some donated items inside a new store a couple of years ago because I didn't see the donation center on the far side.

I've read on here that in many areas GW takes their donated items to a main processing center and then distributes them to the various GW stores in the area. But I don't think that's the case where I live. We have about 4 GW's so I went to the one closest to my work in the busier side of town and basically just saw junk. Target, JCP with a few American Eagle/Gap items and virtually no men's shoes.

But today I decided to give it another go and checked out the GW closest to the real nice side of town. Ran across a bunch nicer selection of items. Anyways it not much compared to what I've seen posted in here but ended up popping my thrifting cherry with a like new Brooks Brothers polo for $3-something.

Also saw a few items I'd like to gauge what seasoned thrifters thought about. Christian Dior sport coat ($8), Paul Frederick dress shirt and Forsyth of Canada dress shirt (shirts $3.75 ea). No pics but all in nice to new like condition. Worth it?

Comment

If you really want to get into thrifting, head over to the Styleforum thrift thread and just sit and read and learn. And you did well to not pick up any of those other items.

Comment

@jon - Thanks for the reply. And after I posted I did check out SF and saw where some said they bypass P. Frederick shirts all day long. I also saw the list of quality thriftable brands in a post on PTO.
        After seeing rows and rows of Target/JCP/Kohls/Van Heusen and other run of the mill stuff, coming across a few decent brands and in great condition did catch my eye. But glad I passed. I doubt I'll be a weekly regular but want to be discerning in what I pick up.

Comment

Found this jacket, Canali on one side and Barcelino on the other inside lining.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
            @LosRockets, how much are those boots? Those are the single greatest winter boot in existence. Commonly referred to as a "bunny boot." They are military issue and somewhat hard to come by typically. My dad used to find them at gun shows in North Dakota and would buy them. Can't even find them at those types of events anymore. I have a pair that is at least 15 years old. Your feet will never, ever, ever be cold. Granted, you live in TX.. so that's maybe not an issue.
            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I picked up a new with tags J.Crew brown pin dot tie for $1.49 and a looks-new-to-me Banana Rep grey cardigan for $4.99. I haven't thirfted in a few weeks so it was nice to be back inna saddle...

Comment

@greg: They weren't much, around $10-15 tops maybe? I did some reading up and they really do seem awesome. Way overkill for Texas though. Check on Ebay, there are several pairs of bunny boots available for reasonable prices!

Comment

Oh I still have mine and they are going strong! To anyone that moves to a godforsaken climate like MN or ND (or Canada...), these are THE boots for the rough weather.
                  "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Just took a friend thrifting (first time for him) and he scored a pair of like new dark brown Churches of England captoe balmorals for $65. Trying them on in the store, he received several admiring comments from female onlookers. This after I gave him a big speech beforehand about how 90% of the time you don't find anything worthwhile when thrifting.
                    Last edited by Idle_Hands; July 19, 2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post

Also found these the other day, any idea what they are?

closer: http://imageshack.us/a/img189/9963/o6yj.jpg and http://imageshack.us/a/img507/571/95zp.jpg
                      Managed to out run an Imperial Walker during the Battle of Hoth in those bad boys.

Comment

I haven't been thrifting much for the past year (mostly because thrifting brings out my tendency to buy crap just because the price is good, and partially because I just don't have many holes left in my wardrobe). But I still go every once in a while. The pickings are slim here where I live in Montana, for all the obvious reasons. But I did spot a decent watch in the case for the first time... ever. (Okay, I did find a vintage '70s quartz Seiko a while back, but that was in rough condition at best. That and a '90s-looking Swatch are the only "real" watches I've seen in all my time thrifting.)

I knew the watch was small when I looked at it up close, but I have the darnedest time judging watch size without a reference. I knew it was somewhere between 36mm and way-too-tiny. Thought I'd snag it anyway, then saw the price was $60. Psh, nope. No thanks.

Put it back and walked around the store some. Then I saw that items with pink tags were 50% off today, and the watch had a pink tag. $30? Ok. Worth a shot since it was in near-mint condition.

Bought it, took the screw-down caseback off in my car with my thumbs and a bit of elbow grease, checked out the battery type, and drove to Batteries Plus. One fresh battery later and the watch is almost indistinguishable from new. Pic is borrowed since I haven't taken my own yet:

The watch is definitely very small, though. 35mm case diameter, which suits my small wrist fine, but 16mm lugs, which is narrow even for my taste, especially since the stock leather strap has a noticeable taper. I googled the model and it was marketed as either a women's or youth size watch. I stuck the watch on the only 16mm strap I had, an olive NATO, and I actually like the combo quite a bit. I'll post pics a bit later.

[Edit] Here's a quickie phone pic:

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; July 21, 2013, 06:35 PM.
                        Ben

Comment

I picked up these Alden captoes, which fit me, for $4.50.

Comment

can anyone tell me roughly how old this could be? Picked up a few different ties like this

Last edited by Peteypistol; July 29, 2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonATL View Post
                              I picked up these Alden captoes, which fit me, for $4.50.
                              jonATL, that is insane, dooooode. Nice!

Originally posted by Peteypistol View Post
                              can anyone tell me roughly how old this could be? Picked up a few different ties like this
                              I keep looking at the thrift stores around here for silk knit ties, but never ever see any. I did snag a few from JAB at 90% off. What-what-whaaaaat...?!?!? Italian silk knits originally marked $100, coming out to about $10 after the tiered cuts on already-marked-down goods. Crazy. Still, I like the idea of thrifting a cool vintage one like yours there. Sweet! (sorry, no clue on the carbon-date, just admiring your find)

Stopped yesterday at a local (to my office) S.A. and snagged some nearly-new J&M Optima Made in USA wingtips, and a few simple staples: 2 OCBDs (one mint green - could've used that a couple days ago for the weekly challenge - doh!, one standard light blue) and a lilac LE polo. So, nothing super-major this time (the J&Ms are nice, but they're no Aldens - crazy! - and I know the feeling - snagged some Aldens from SA a while back too - who drops those things off there? wild!), just finally some "fitted" wardrobe-staple shirts at Salvation Army. No need to tailor them at all, and they were $2.50 each. I'm good with that.

Comment

$6? That'll work.

Comment

Working...
                                X