This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phigdon1 View Post
    Snagged these Allen Edmonds Byrons today for $5. Definitely have some wear and tear on the sole, and some creasing, but otherwise I think they look pretty good. I'm pretty new to the shoe care game, any tips on next steps? I see AE has a recrafting program, anybody have experience/wisdom about it that they can share? Or should I just take them to a local cobbler and ask for a makeover? Any advice is good advice. Hope the link to pic works.

Thanks. Pat
    How bad are the soles? The uppers look good. If the soles aren't too bad you can just slap on a topy over them for around 20 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
      How bad are the soles? The uppers look good. If the soles aren't too bad you can just slap on a topy over them for around 20 bucks.
      Below is a link to the more busted sole, with a small hole in it. Someone put these things to good use for sure, but took decent care of the uppers, as you said. I'm really having a hard time deciding on this one. If I were to have someone local put a topy on and then clean/polish them up for me, how much you think that would run me?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqne3a3yt0kjuo2/photo.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by phigdon1 View Post
        Below is a link to the more busted sole, with a small hole in it. Someone put these things to good use for sure, but took decent care of the uppers, as you said. I'm really having a hard time deciding on this one. If I were to have someone local put a topy on and then clean/polish them up for me, how much you think that would run me?

@phig: Ah, that's not too bad. You have several options here:

1. Go talk to a cobbler to see if he can just slap on a topy over it. I've done this before and in San Francisco this runs about $24. Most cobblers will give you a complementary cleaning if you pay for the topy or sole repair.

2. If the cobbler feels the sole is too worn down for a topy he may opt for a half sole replacement which would be around 40-50 dollars. I'm not sure of the heel status in your pics but those may need to be replaced as well for an additional cost.

2a: You may also consider doing a full sole replacement. This is superior to a half sole repair but will cost more. I am unsure of the cost.

3. Going the #2 route means you forfeit the ability to do recraft in the future tho. I don't even think Allen edmonds offers a half sole non-recraft repair: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Id=40000000001 this means you may need to shell out $125 through them for a recraft just to repair the soles. I could be wrong about this tho.
        Last edited by Acousticfoodie; May 24, 2013, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post

Thought I posted this already but I'm not seeing it now. Above is a pic of the more beat up sole, with a small hole. They're definitely well-worn, but as you said the uppers are in pretty good shape. I'm debating the full AE recrafting v. just having somebody locally clean them up for me.

Comment

Have still found nothing close to resembling a good pair of shoes while thrifting. Decided to go farther away today to a new location for me because I figure the nearby high end consignment store sops up all of the nicer clothing in a 6-7mile radius. The Goodwill I visited was awesome, well organized and very clean. Almost grabbed a staple mid-gray BB jacket from 2006 but couldn't find the matching pants. Tried on a few 100% cashmere sportcoats (HSM and Haspel) but they were big in the shoulders and had really short sleeves (seriously, somedays I feel like everyone in this city who wears nice clothes has t-rex arms, a pot-belly, and oversized shoulders; everyone else wears Jos A Bank). Didn't get anything but I was really happy with the overall selection of jackets (lots of HSM, a Cerruti-fabric suit, handful of BB) although the shoes and shirts really sucked. Almost walked out with an amazing Alexander Julian (not "Colors") green patterned tie, but the reverse side had pretty bad sweat damage.

Does anybody ever bother looking through the pants separates at a Goodwill? I only quickly glance across to look for interesting textures/fabrics or light-gray trousers.

Comment

@acousticfoodie Just wanted to check in after a busy mem day weekend and say thanks for the great info. I'm going to take them to a local cobbler for some TLC.

Can anyone recommend a good cobbler in Boston by chance?

Comment

Goodwill had a 25% off sale on Memorial Day, green tagged items were an additional discount and then if you had a G'will member card, you still got your extra 5% of $20+ purchase. Needless to say, Mrs. Styles got hooked up. We got 13 items for just over $40.

Comment

Thrifted this oldschool dressing valet (circa Dec.1968) for $10. The seat of the chair flips open for a little storage unit. Good times!

Comment

Yoyorobbo, that thing is awesome looking!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post

Very nice!

Comment

Got me a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues for $4.99. The soles are shot and the inside sole is worn, but the uppers are great. Off to my local cobbler they go!

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Styles View Post
                          Got me a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues for $4.99. The soles are shot and the inside sole is worn, but the uppers are great. Off to my local cobbler they go!
                          Nice!

Comment

Today was pretty good.

All made by ....

Comment

So my first trip to Goodwill around here was interesting. Lots of tags to look at. 75% didnt have sizes for the jackets. I need to research labels more to find what I am looking at.

I did score a great condition SP11 Ludlow in navy Irish linen. $30. Really pumped on that find and it fits great.

Comment

Originally posted by jonATL View Post
                                Today was pretty good.
                                All made by ....

Whoa, Saint Andrews! Great finds!

Comment

Working...
                                X