Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up these Allen Edmonds at Goodwill for $6. Going to give them two strong polishes and see how they turn out. I'll post more pics when I'm done cleaning them up.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

My first Kiton. Yellow linen.

Comment

nice pickup jon. wiwt?
        My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
          nice pickup jon. wiwt?
          about 2 (or 4) sizes too big. Ebay.

Comment

I like those, tdig. I had a pair of To Boot NY's polished professionally and they turned out fantastic. Good luck and I look forward to the pics.

Comment

Anyone in Southern California have any tips on places to thrift?

Specifically, OC.
              Last edited by zmac; May 14, 2013, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zmac View Post
                Anyone in Southern California have any tips on places to thrift?

Specifically, OC.
                I am in Irvine and haven't had much luck anywhere in OC. I asked a similar question a few months ago. There were no specific answers but some recommended Laguna Hill/Woods area because of Leisure World/Laguna Woods Retirement Community. There is one Goodwill on El Toro and a Salvation Army on Ridge Route. I haven't had any luck with either.

If anyone is willing to share their secret spots with us please do.

Comment

Did you try anything in Newport/Costa Mesa?

Comment

Alright, this guy drives me nuts! http://brokeandbespoke.tumblr.com/po...-shop-thrifted

WHERE does he find all this great stuff? I know he lives in the East Bay, just wish I knew which thrifts he frequents. I've had zero success with the Goodwills in Albany and Berkeley, with the exception of a nice Hickey Freeman tie for $4 in the Berkeley one.

Comment

Matt. It helps to know when they restock with new items, so you can be first to see them. You can ask the folks who work there, and they will tell you the day and a general timeframe. Show up whenever that is, and you will often see serious thrifters who have the same idea. Also, getting to know the employees might be a good idea. It's usually against policy, but some workers will keep an eye out (and sometimes pull things out to save them) for a buddy. But that's playing dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by MattRicketts View Post
                        Alright, this guy drives me nuts! http://brokeandbespoke.tumblr.com/po...-shop-thrifted

WHERE does he find all this great stuff? I know he lives in the East Bay, just wish I knew which thrifts he frequents. I've had zero success with the Goodwills in Albany and Berkeley, with the exception of a nice Hickey Freeman tie for $4 in the Berkeley one.
                        Matt it's all about luck. 9/10 times (maybe even 9.5/10) you'll walk away with nothing.

Comment

You can easily find all that stuff in a major city with a little patience. I'm a little surprised at the prices he paid, though, but I guess those are the going rates in his area.

Comment

I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe he goes to the city a lot and finds stuff there.

Comment

Anyone know (and not mind sharing) of any good thrifting spots in Philadelphia? My first few forays have been supremely unsuccessful, and I'd appreciate any pointers.

Comment

AE Byrons

Snagged these Allen Edmonds Byrons today for $5. Definitely have some wear and tear on the sole, and some creasing, but otherwise I think they look pretty good. I'm pretty new to the shoe care game, any tips on next steps? I see AE has a recrafting program, anybody have experience/wisdom about it that they can share? Or should I just take them to a local cobbler and ask for a makeover? Any advice is good advice. Hope the link to pic works.

Thanks. Pat
                                Last edited by phigdon1; May 23, 2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X