Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those wingtips look amazing! Even better than my new J&Ms. The color is especially nice.

Ben

Comment

Wow, nice job by the cobbler. How much did that cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

$60 for the re-sole, new heel, polish and conditioning.

Comment

I finally came across a pair of AEs at a thrift shop today. They were black tassel wingtip loafers (sort of a strange combo IMO) in fairly decent shape. They were in 10D and I wear 8 but naturally I had to try them on anyway... no deal, but it at least gives me hope that I might find a good shoe in my size someday.

If anyone wants them I can run back to the store and pick them up (if they're still there), they were $8.

Ben

Comment

Urgh... If they weren't black I'd say yes. I do need to get some black shoes at some point, but if I'm wearing black shoes it'll be because it's a funeral or something formal, so loafers wouldn't cut it anyway. 10D is a good size for me if you find any other AE's though

Comment

Alas. :-) I think I'm going to pick them up anyway, as I have a blazer I need to exchange for the same price. And even if no one here wants them, I can probably sell them on eBay.

Ben

Comment

The funny thing is I feel like I wear more black shoes than brown. Only because being involved in the Financial Industry, I wear suits more times than not (if not a suit than, trousers and sportscoat). Granted I have more brown dress shoes than black, but I do seem to wear them both equally often if not black a bit more.

Comment

Update to the AE tassel loafers - I went back to the store to get them. I looked at them more closely and noticed a few spots where the leather is cracked. Eh... I don't think I want to push damaged shoes on anyone, so I guess I'll have to retract my offer. Sorry guys.

In their place I found some shoes I must have overlooked earlier. Brown wingtips with leather soles. Brand is unknown, as the inner heel is so worn that only a few undiscernable letters remain. The shoes are in good physical condition (no tears or cracking) but looked a little worn and dirty.

45 minutes of TLC later, they are looking pretty good. It's amazing what some saddle soap, polish, edge dressing, and elbow grease will do. These ones aren't up for grabs - despite being marked as a size 9, they fit my size 7.5-8 feet perfectly. I'll post some pics in a moment.

Ben

Comment

Here are the wingtips:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060095.jpg

FWIW, the brand name begins with "Free." Googling reveals that there was a Freeman Shoes operating out of Beloit, WI until 1990. I think they might be the maker, but it's hard to say.

Ben

Comment

@BenR - Glad you were able to find some good shoes. Persistence pays off when thrifting. Funny that a size 9 fits your 7.5-8 foot. I found a size 9 AE and it fits my 9.5-10 foot. Weird.

Found a few shirts today. 2 of them were Brooks Brothers shirts in 15.5/35. Too big for me, but decent finds. They look barely worn if at all.

Comment

Glen were those shirts large in the body or a slimmer fit BB? I only ask as that is my size and I've had dismal luck with thrifting thus far.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Yeah, pics of the BB shirts please

@BenR Any pics of the soles of the shoes? Might be something identifying.

I went to an eclectic little shop tonight and I found a set of cufflinks (FINALLY) and a tweed driving cap with a white and dark brown cross weave and flecks of orange and yellow color thrown in. But the BEST thing I got was a tip on where to pick up Hickey Freeman suits... The woman running this shop is getting out of the vintage clothing biz so she was willing to give me a tip on where to look. It might help y'all in looking too... Her tip was a thrift store at a synagogue here in town that basically nobody outside the congregation knows much about, is not visible from the street, and is only open about 20 hours a week.

Comment

@JC sounds like you hit the jackpot of knowledge. Good luck with all the searching and future finds

Comment

I went to a little church charity based spot today. I was trying to look at a pair of flannel pants when a pair of jeans fell off the hanger... They're NWOT (as far as I can tell) Nudie Jeans in 31/32. I think they're gonna be my first foray into selling stuff on eBay since new pairs of Nudie jeans are going for $130 and even heavily used pairs are going for $60-70.

I got the Nudie Jeans and a Brooks Brothers casual purple checked cotton button down for $5.

Tomorrow morning I'm hitting up the synagogue thrift I was told about.

Comment

@ JC Yeah, I'll take some pictures of the soles tomorrow when there's better lighting. I want to solicit folks' opinions on whether I need to get them resoled or not anyway.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X