Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to exhibit my ignorance...but what is thrifting???

I would do it...if I knew what it was...ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Josec3 View Post
      Sorry to exhibit my ignorance...but what is thrifting???

I would do it...if I knew what it was...ha.
      Shopping at thrift shops

Comment

Originally posted by willsee View Post
        Shopping at thrift shops

Oh ok. I figured. Where would I find them in NY...? I would take a spin. Probably the cheapest window shopping I could do here.

Comment

Josec3, my one foray into NYC thrifting was down at a Goodwill in Manhattan. 106 West 25th Street. Mrs. Styles and I found a box of $1 scarves and got hooked up with Armani, Gap, and other favorites that we still use. There's a Buffalo Exchange on the other side of a block which has funkier, one-off styles but is more pricy. Seriously, I'd just Google Goodwill and go for it.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Furious....I think me and my GF just might...who knows what we'll find.

Comment

Inspired by acousticfoodie, I'm working on these Florsheim Lexington caps tonight, whilst watching some TV. Got them earlier this afternoon from a local Salvation Army. They were marked $10.99, but today they were 1/2 off. Sweet! Hoping to be able to get those creases out. For < $6, I think they're worth a shot. Eh?

Comment

For <6 absolutely! Those look good! So I take it you're using saddle soap to clean them.. what will you use to take the creases out?

Comment

I visited my local Goodwill for the first time this week. I found one pair of pretty nice Bass leather-soled wingtips, in great condition, but they were a full size too big, unfortunately. I guess I'll keep searching.

Comment

The use of saddle soap is a divisive issue:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/223571/s...oap-or-no/0_50

Comment

That's the way to do it. Search often, know what you're looking for, buy less frequently.

Comment

Thrifting is difficult. It's hard to pass on something that is great--except it's the wrong fit, or there's an imperfection, or it's too worn, etc. Walk away 99 percent of the time, grab that perfect fitting, good condition thing the remainder.

Comment

This wasnt exactly a thrifting find, but I think it fits best here. I was searching on ebay for some black AE Sanfords. I wasnt 100% sure what size I would need in that shoe and was looking for a good deal. Ended up finding a pair listed (starting price) of $80 with a BIN of $150 that was being sold from about a half hour from where I live. Watched it for the whole auction, and it ended with no bids. Emailed the seller to say I'd be interested in seeing them and buying them for $80 if they fit me. He responded and said it was in his store and I could go check them out. Stopped by and he owns an "upscale" men's consignment shop. They fit great and are essentially unworn! I can tell that they are older and probably just sat in someone's house for years without getting worn. Looks like they were stored without shoe trees, as they have a bit of wrinkling, but for $80 this seemed like the steal of the century.

As a side note, I can tell the leather has dried out a bit over time. It's just not as supple as on my new AE's. What's a good option for some leather creme/lotion/polish to rejuvenate these. They are also in need of a good polish.

Last edited by drocpsu; February 4, 2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Dear Dropscu,

What a score!

Comment

Today's finds:

Size 15! Score!

32/34 Nudie Selvage. I'm definitely going to get these hemmed.

Pretty amazing vintage Norman Hilton. Cashmere. MOP buttons. 39 R

Comment

Outstanding Dropscu! Those look near perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X