Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, the goodwill in my town sucks. The only good places are the thrift stores.

Comment

I'm new a thrifting and wanted to know if suits like this Givenchy are worth picking up for sale or trade. I have had trouble finding out much information about the suit but its brown, two button, double vented, and roughly a 40L and 33 x 36. Could anyone provide me with more information or a relative value? Thank you for any insight. Picture 3 shows the only blemish I could find, a 1 in fray on the inner liner on the right breast, the last is a fabric detail picture.

Comment

Saw these today in perfect condition (no indication they were ever worn more than once on the sole):

Unfortunately they are on the 2 last which is super narrow and they were also half a size too small for me...bummer...I'll leave them for someone else to stumble upon. But fortunately I ran into this:

Not really a fan of black shoes...but I'll take it I suppose :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
          Man, the goodwill in my town sucks. The only good places are the thrift stores.
          Yeah I haven't had luck at my local Goodwill, either. Unfortunately thrifting is one of those things that takes time, which I don't really have much of as a father of twins.

Comment

Originally posted by MattRicketts View Post
            Yeah I haven't had luck at my local Goodwill, either. Unfortunately thrifting is one of those things that takes time, which I don't really have much of as a father of twins.
            It's hard with Mr. Broke and Bespoke lurking around...but it's still very possible!

Comment

surreal thrifting day

The thrifting bender continues for me, and yesterday I hit a new spot nearby...score:

Florsheim Imperial Longwings, my size- $3

2 Pairs of the metal springloaded shoetrees -$2 each pr.
              BB No-Iron Oxford, mint $3
              Club Monaco OCBD VG cond.. $3
              4 silk ties $4 various makers, italy
              Cuisinart Coffee maker that replaces the exact one I wrecked a year ago by submerging the electronics...$4 !! (in store, $100)

I picked up an Oxxford Jacket today that is not my size but I'm willing to pass it on...

measurements:
              P2P :21"
              Shoulders: 19"
              Sleeve: 25 1/2"
              Waist: 21"
              Piece is very clean, Super 100's 3/2, no holes, marks, etc..the only thing I notice is that some extra padding was added behind left shoulder.(my guess is this was a custom fitting) I'm pretty sure this would be easy to remove if not needed...
              I'm open to trades, or offers...I don't want to deal with the bay. thanks, tony

Comment

I snagged a pair of Banana Republic wingtips and a Thomas Pink french cuff shirt today. $21 total!

Comment

I've spent some time in thrift stores but never found anything to buy until after Christmas. Here is what I brought home with me.

Comment

Unfortunately both of the black ones have a blemish or two. One Haan has some cracking on the side and a slight gash on the top. One J&M has a gash on the side. I glued down the piece that was sticking up and I looks better but not perfect.

Not sure the brand of this suit (I didn't bother to put the pants on, or a proper shirt) but is made in Canada and has a Maxwell's Men's Shop (Toronto) in it.

Also got an 70 wool/30 cashmere overcoat that is a bit big, might go to a friend.

Overall, very successful!

Comment

Really wanting to get into it. Not sure where to start, just moved to Los Angeles and not sure where to start, any recs?
                      "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

The main thing I've found about thrifting is that you need to be persistent to get the best results. I regularly found decent stuff last year when I visited the same thrift shops 2-4 times per week and really took the time and went through everything.

I tried thrifting again a handful of times this past fall and came away with nothing.

Successful thrifting requires patience and persistence.
                        Ben

Comment

TJ Maxx run:

Comment

@tony2, I can't believe you found those shoes in that condition for that price. What a find!

Comment

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
                              Really wanting to get into it. Not sure where to start, just moved to Los Angeles and not sure where to start, any recs?
                              Persistence, for sure, as BenR says, is important.

Another helpful piece of advice is to look at thrift stores in more affluent neighborhoods on the principle that most stores (though not all) get their stock from local contributions.

I also find it helpful to target one or two types of clothing, rather than looking through every garment in the men's section. In practice, for me, that means suits/blazers and shoes, which are the items where you're most likely to get the best price:value ratio.

Finally, be selective in what you purchase (and if it doesn't fit perfectly, factor in the cost of tailoring to the price) but be decisive when you find something you like that fits. Don't leave it there and think about it; it'll be gone when you return. Do, however, inspect the garment carefully for any defects that could be dealbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Chalkey View Post
                                @tony2, I can't believe you found those shoes in that condition for that price. What a find!
                                At first glance they looked beaten to death but it was just a matter of cleaning, conditioning and some polish. They are built like tanks...also, they hadn't seen a shoe-tree maybe in forever, so after a week or so they look even better.

Comment

Working...
                                X