Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First! It's a women's trench, though.

Comment

score! Hickey Freeman Navy Pinstripe 42r suit, near mint $10. I'm officially hooked on thrifting.

Comment

here's a pic of the hickey freeman jacket. A little strange is that it doesn't have tags, just some manufacturing tags and the clues I have that it is HF, is the HF on the trousers clasp and the Made in USA

Comment

The HF trouser clasp doesn't mean Hickey Freeman, I don't think. Those are the only tags in the jacket?

Comment

hey jonatl..yes, that's it...no tags anywhere, and no indication that anything has been removed.

so, the mystery continues. it fits great, and is nicely made..i'll try to post a couple of more pics so some clues may reveal themselves . thanks, t

Comment

I'd add this to my post but can't figure out how..so here's more.

Comment

Sorry, but that interior tag doesn't look like any Hickey Freeman I've ever seen.

But all that really matters is that you like the suit.

Comment

Nice find, jonATL. It even has the most recent-styled patch. That should be worth something.

Comment

Confused here..jonatl says no...Alan says yes?

I agree with the most important part, I got a near new suit that fits almost perfect(needs to be tailored just a bit) for 10 dollars.

Comment

Alan,

My wife now has a nice trench. That should keep her off my back about how many thrifted things are in our second bedroom right now ... at least for a bit.

Comment

@Black: Perhaps you misunderstood me. I was talking to jonATL about his Burberry trench coat. I've got direct no advice on the suit you found. But if it's wool and it fits, then $10 is a fine find. I've bought unspecial thrifted suits before just because they fit well. In fact, one of them is the suit I wear more often than any other now because it does fit so well.

Comment

@jonATL: That's how to do it. I recently bought my wife a nice coat to offset the purchases I've been making. She wore it tonight and got compliments on it. And she told me how much she loves it so I think I did ok. It's not Burberry, but it's better than nothing. :-)

Comment

I was in NYC this past weekend and hit up a couple higher-end thrift/consignment stores in East Village for the first time. I was pretty impressed with the higher-end brands available (e.g., Thom Browne, Zegna, Prada, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Marc Jacobs, Theory, etc..), but I was taken aback by how high the prices were. I mean, they were still killer deals compared to retail - most things were between $100 and $1000, but they were definitely not the sub-$40 finds I'm used to seeing while thrifting at home (Denver). Then again, I never see the top-end brands mentioned above.

With that said, I found a suit that I could not pass up. Ralph Lauren Purple Label, light gray, three button, notch lapel, double vent, that fit like it was tailored for me. It's the first canvassed suit I have ever found while thrifting, and I was thrilled when the "pinch test" actually revealed the presence of a third layer. The pants were about 1 inch too tight in the waist (with plenty of material available to be let out), but without question it is the best fitting suit I have ever tried on (the upper end of my experience with suits has been Brooks Brothers). I ended up paying $240 for the suit, and while I love it, I'm wondering if it was a little too high for such a find. What do you more experienced thrifters think? I'll try and post pictures shortly.

Comment

90Shilling! Let's see the suit!

$240 is a little under ebay prices, I think, and since you got to try it on before you bought it ... and you really like it ... I think it's worth it.

Here's one recent pickup of mine, which I grabbed for $3.12:

A lot more recent, but no less aquatic, than a vintage Gucci pickup from this spring:

Comment

Did I brag about this yet? 100 percent alpaca Luciano Barbera sportcoat made in Italy by Saint Andrews (Ralph Lauren Purple Label)? No? It's probably the most expensive jacket I've thrifted.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...xPZcROfLAg.jpg

And here's a full-body shot of the Burberry Trench:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Authentic-Burberry-London-Black-trench-coat-size-6-med-Nova-check-No-Reserve-/00/s/MTYwMFg4MDg=/$T2eC16h,!y0E9s2S9KJLBQoHmO2QZQ~~60_57.JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X