Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilted down jacket

Ok Gents, I've got an impossible dream:

I want to get a coat that looks something like this or this for about $100. Im looking for a solid piece with some insulation that can look dashing on it's own at my office, but can also add warmth when worn under a slightly-too-light down-insulated ski coat. A truly slim fit is a must. Blue color is preferable, but black also works. Some semblance of insulation and warmth are also important.

I've looked around and tried on options from Nordstrom rack, macys, my local thrift store, etc but everything seems too baggy or not-quite-right. I just ordered this, so we'll see how it works. Since I'm not that optimistic about the coat that I ordered I thought I would ask you fine gentlemen for suggestions. Have you come across anything similar under $150?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Originally posted by Danny View Post
    Ok Gents, I've got an impossible dream:

I want to get a coat that looks something like this or this for about $100. Im looking for a solid piece with some insulation that can look dashing on it's own at my office, but can also add warmth when worn under a slightly-too-light down-insulated ski coat. A truly slim fit is a must. Blue color is preferable, but black also works. Some semblance of insulation and warmth are also important.

I've looked around and tried on options from Nordstrom rack, macys, my local thrift store, etc but everything seems too baggy or not-quite-right. I just ordered this, so we'll see how it works. Since I'm not that optimistic about the coat that I ordered I thought I would ask you fine gentlemen for suggestions. Have you come across anything similar under $150?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Danny, check out the Bonobos sale section for Outerwear right now. With code STAYWARM, you'll see there are a few options similar to what you're looking for around $100. Bonobos is known to have a flattering fit, though I haven't had experience with their jackets.

Then check out Brooks Brothers sale section Outerwear. Again for around $150 if they're still there.

You just missed the JC version for under $100 in their sale section -- maybe it'll come back in stock randomly like they seem to sometimes?

Boden has one for under $100 on their website. (This is probably your best bet.)

And as always, Target probably has a cheaper one to try out before diving into these more expensive options, but might not be slim enough like you're looking for to be worth any money to you.

I know these off the top of my head because 1) I have a problem and 2) I've been back and forth about rocking that style of jacket; and haven't been able to bring myself to commit with $$.

Best of luck

Comment

[MENTION=13309]DuFrank[/MENTION] Thanks for the extensive advice!

I'll respond point by point:
      Bonobos options seem to be excluded from the sale, otherwise they would be a sure winner.
      Bummed that I missed JC
      Boden one has an orange zipper that I'm not fond og
      couldn't find the jacket at target when I went.

I'll see how the one I ordered fits and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
        [MENTION=13309]DuFrank[/MENTION] Thanks for the extensive advice!

I'll respond point by point:
        Bonobos options seem to be excluded from the sale, otherwise they would be a sure winner.
        Bummed that I missed JC
        Boden one has an orange zipper that I'm not fond og
        couldn't find the jacket at target when I went.

I'll see how the one I ordered fits and go from there.
        Look for the "Banff" jacket in final sale section - it is not excluded and can be had for $100 and a few pennies until 11:59 PT. Emphasis on final sale so be sure you're certain, but looks like a great jacket and would buy one myself if I didn't already have a very similar J Crew jacket.

Comment

[MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION] I wish I had found out about that this morning. I would certainly pull the trigger on it if it wasn't final sale, but given that fact I've just got to resist.

Comment

I haven't owned a down jacket since the 70's. Are they constructed in a way that they can be easily altered? If they're easily altered, that would greatly increase your options for finding one that fits and is in your price range.

Comment

How about this?

http://www.landsend.com/products/men...93?sku_0=::BLA

Comment

Ooooh, great suggestion [MENTION=14265]Billyum[/MENTION]!

Comment

I have that LL Bean primaloft in blue in a medium. Worn it like 10 times but I have been pondering selling. What size do you wear Danny?

Comment

First off, none of the jackets are Down. Most are Primaloft, Thinsulate, or some other sort of synthetic insulation, and most have very little of it so they are not extremely warm.

I just went through this in the fall, and I ordered and returned ~10-different jackets. I kept the J.Crew Sussex: https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...4337/04337.jsp and the Boden http://www.bodenusa.com/en-us/mens-c...quilted-jacket (mine is green). I'm a 40R 5'11" 175lbs, and I wear a M in both.

The Sussex is probably my favorite. It is the warmest, and the cut is the most "trendy" (slim fit with a short hem). It is more on the casual side, and I typically only wear it with jeans or sometimes chinos. You can find the old Broadmoor version on eBay cheaper, but the sizes are limited. I bought it on sale for $98.

The Boden is a bit thinner, a bit longer cut, and a bit more roomy. A combination of the color, the cut, and that it is little more shiny seem to make it more versatile. I can easily wear it with wool pants, possibly over a suit (though I haven't). It does have elastic inside the wrist cuff that can both be helpful and a hindrance (something to be aware of). I bought mine NOS on eBay for $80.

The Barbour Chelsea http://www.orvis.com/p/mens-barbour-...ed-jacket/0k45 was high on the list, but it was fairly thin, and I didn't feel like it was a good value for the cost. It was difficult to find on sale, and I too was looking to stay at ~$100.
                    The Barbour Liddesdale http://www.orvis.com/p/barbour-liddesdale-jacket/735p was initially what I thought I wanted since it was longer. However, the cut was too bulky and baggy, and it looked way more farm casual than I wanted.
                    I picked up the one from Target on sale for $25 http://www.target.com/p/men-s-quilte...a/-/A-17347521 It is very light weight. I thought I still might keep it for a spring/fall jacket since it was so cheap. However, it was so light weight and poorly made, I didn't think it was worth it. Even at $25, I'd rather have that money for something else, so I returned it.

There were others I picked up from Amazon, Sierra Trading Post, Lands End, Brooks Brothers etc but this was a few months back, and I've forgotten the specifics. Most of the turn offs were due to fit/cut or some had funky collars.

If you decide on Boden or Barbour and know your size, try searching http://www.ebay.co.uk/ for sellers that will ship to the US. You can find both new and used jackets for much cheaper than the ones on the US ebay site.

If you search quilted, chelsea, or boden on here, you will find lots of useful forum posts. Here is a review of the Chelsea with some additional links: http://dappered.com/2014/09/in-revie...a-sportsquilt/
                    I could have sworn Joe did an article on "best quilted jacket" and Boden won, but I can't seem to find it in my searching this morning. Maybe someone will have better luck.
                    Last edited by connersw; February 16, 2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

On the subject of the Banff jacket, it still seems to be on sale, or rather, they seem to be accepting (and advertising) their previous TOUCHDOWN code for 40% off all final sale items. So this seems to be selling for basically $100. They don't seem to have a ton of sizes in Slim now, but they have a couple.

I bought this and I do think it looks nice. I didn't want polyester, which most similar coats seem to be. I also didn't want elastic cuffs like the Boden (which is also polyester). So the Banff was closest to what I wanted, with the Sussex being next. I will say that the Banff is quite stiff. The fabric is pretty heavy, and it's self-lined, so it's not a soft jacket if that's what you're looking for.

Comment

I have the Lands End quilted primaloft blazer and really like it. I think it was 80 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                          On the subject of the [URL="https://bonobos.com/products/the-banff-jacket"]I bought this and I do think it looks nice. I didn't want polyester, which most similar coats seem to be. I also didn't want elastic cuffs like the Boden (which is also polyester).

Are you referring specifically to the Grey Wool one? Because most of the other jackets mentioned, including the Boden, are nylon, not polyester. Many cheaper wool jackets are polyester blends, but I don't think that is what the OP is looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
                            Are you referring specifically to the Grey Wool one? Because most of the other jackets mentioned, including the Boden, are nylon, not polyester. Many cheaper wool jackets are polyester blends, but I don't think that is what the OP is looking for.
                            I was referring to the navy Banff which is a cotton blend. I should have said that I didn't want an all-synthetic jacket (though my apparently incorrect recollection was that the Boden and others were poly). Nothing wrong with synthetics but not what I wanted. Sussex was second option mostly because it's also primarily cotton.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
                              I have that LL Bean primaloft in blue in a medium. Worn it like 10 times but I have been pondering selling. What size do you wear Danny?
                              I'm gonna be a small. I'm 6'0 and 138lbs, so I tend to swim in anything in a medium.

Comment

Working...
                              X