Looking for Fitness Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Fitness Recommendations

I am trying to find a website, blog, podcast or other resource that helps men to lose weight and stay fit. My goal is to better fit into the great suits recommended on Dappered! And be healthy too!

Any recommendations from the Dappered readership?

Thank you!

I do don't-bite-more-than-you-can-burn diet in general. I run when I'm like 10 more pounds than my ideal weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy in Atlanta View Post
      I am trying to find a website, blog, podcast or other resource that helps men to lose weight and stay fit. My goal is to better fit into the great suits recommended on Dappered! And be healthy too!

Thank you!
      I'm doing the lean gains intermittent fasting right now. It's easier than expected for the fasting. I've never experienced so much fat loss. The problem for me is that 5am is the best time for me to go to the gym. I end my day at 6am when I get home. So I'm not eating after 2pm. It's easier to fast in the morning when caffeine can aid you.
      My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by Guy in Atlanta View Post

Thank you!
        Similar to making changes in your wardrobe, I recommend taking it very slow and introducing small changes to your routine, one at a time, and observe whether or not each change makes a difference. I also think logging the foods you eat and your exercise are important. There are a number of websites and apps, like myfitnesspal.com, which make this easier. I wouldn't even make changes to your routine or diet initially. Just get in the habit of logging everything first. After a few weeks of this, try to identify which changes will give you the most benefits with the least amount of pain. Most people slip back into old habits, but that's ok. That simply means you were making too big of a change too quickly. Try changing something else.

I think there are a lot of psychological and emotional aspects of fitness, but they tend to vary from person to person. It's important to keep focusing on the benefits, stay flexible, be patient with yourself, and try not to beat yourself up when certain changes don't work. It helps if you review your diet and exercise regularly with an objective point of view. For example, pretend like you are reviewing someone else's diet and exercise and making recommendations to that person. You wouldn't make disparaging remarks to a friend; so, don't do it to yourself.

Comment

I am a big fan of in home fitness. p90x 3 is 30 minutes and great, there are others too that are just as good. You just need some dumbbells and a pull up bar (a little space for the cardio). Just push play on the DVD player. Strength training mixed with cardio and diet changes will yield results.

Comment

If you have access to a squat rack and a barbell, I can't recommend the Stronglifts 5x5 program highly enough. It's relatively quick, easy to follow, and it has a good, free app. I've put on muscle and added a lot of strength in just over two months. Only need to lift 3 days a week.
            stronglifts.com has all the info.

Comment

HIITS (High Intensity Interval Training) and Tabata workouts work great! Quality workouts over quantity. Also, "You can't outwork a bad diet." Fitness is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Log all your food to get an idea of the number of calories you are consuming - when I started logging my food I was shocked at how much salt and fat I was consuming. I use the app LoseIt! www.loseit.com
              Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

First is to determine your goals ... are you trying to get more muscle or focusing on weight loss? If focusing on weight loss ... that's done in the kitchen primarily. Increase cardio, but focus on cutting food out of your diet. 90% chance you intake more than your body needs. This comes down to simple meal planning, and calorie measuring. There is no other way to do it. As a very general guideline (it's not full proof) you need to cut 3,500 calories out of your diet to lose 1 lbs. Healthy weight loss is roughly 2lbs a week.

For cardio, I like focusing on time rather than distance. It's good to get used to your body running, 20, 30, 40, then 60+ mins then saying I'm going to run a mile. As you progress in time then you you should up speed to keep pushing yourself. If you don't push yourself you aren't getting better.

Adding muscle/strength will help improve metabolism etc. Personally, I love the gym. It holds me accountable, helps get a little motivation when I see others where I want to be, and it's harder to push off since when I am there I am 100% focused on being there. It takes roughly 66 days for something to become a habit. Don't let off. Everyday won't be amazing but somedays just going or working on it is more progress then not. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Autiger367 View Post
                  I am a big fan of in home fitness. p90x 3 is 30 minutes and great, there are others too that are just as good. You just need some dumbbells and a pull up bar (a little space for the cardio). Just push play on the DVD player. Strength training mixed with cardio and diet changes will yield results.
                  I did p90x with good results. However, by only eating 8 hours a day and lifting weights 30 minutes a day five days a week I am seeing much better results. The premise of IF is that if you eat only half the hours your awake there are two fat burning benefits. One your body is in a fasting state where there is no caloric intake for fuel. Two by only eating half as many hours, you are eating less, making watching what you eat less important.

Kinobody videos on youtube will give you an idea of what to do. I wouldn't buy any of the guys programs, though. There is too much free info online. He actually provides good info. He does scare me though. He comes off as a sociopath. He still has good information, if you can get over that.

Comment

If you just want to lose weight get a fitbit and track your caloric intake. If works very well if you actually input your calories.

I lost 25 pounds in like 3 months last summer. Then i gained back 10 since September which i am now trying to lose. Pants are getting tight!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
                      If you just want to lose weight get a fitbit and track your caloric intake. If works very well if you actually input your calories.

I lost 25 pounds in like 3 months last summer. Then i gained back 10 since September which i am now trying to lose. Pants are getting tight!
                      I meant to add that if you want to lose weight you have to be in a caloric deficit. Basically if you take your desired weight and multiple it by 12, that's your calorie allowance for burning fat. Depending on age and activity level this could vary. Once you reach desired weight, for men, the magic number is generally 15 calories per pound of body weight.

Comment

Find a non-crossfit personal trainer that has their education grounded in physical therapy/rehab education or experience. While stronglifts is a good program, you need to be taught proper anatomical positions when doing any weighted lifting. People jump on stronglifts and carry their bad form through their gains and eventually fuck themselves up because they never learned the right way.

Breathing from your diaphragm is also critical when lifting. Look up DNS (dynamic neuromuscular stabilization) videos on YouTube and practice them consistently... They will make a HUGE difference.

Losing weight is pretty easy... Either don't eat as much, track what you eat, perform HIIT exercises, etc. What you should strive for is to get HEALTHY. Which means eating well and learning about your anatomy. Learn how your body mechanically operates and you will be set and performing much better than 90% of people in the gym. Posture is also huge.

Take some kettlebell classes.

Comment

Good luck with your quest. I'm in a similar situation. I work a desk job and need to get off my butt and do something. Stronglifts 5x5 is probably what I'm going with, but as [MENTION=7536]wheresbrando[/MENTION] pointed out, form is critical. I'm concerned that I don't have the flexibility needed to maintain good form. Hopefully you are more limber and can just dive into a routine. If you are interested in lifting your way to better health, definitely look into Stronglifts. Also check out Starting Strength.

Comment

I did leangains for about 6mo and I really enjoyed it. I kind of messed up because I was doing the cut protocol when I should have done a slow bulk. Cut is for people with some sort of muscular base and not new to lifting. I was eating at a deficit and wasn't getting a solid 8hrs of sleep every night and it wore me down. Looking to start it back up soon.

I'd say the most important things besides lifting are foam rolling (self myofascial released is critical), stretching and keeping your entire body engaged while lifting. Can't recommend checking out DNS enough. Kind of new in popularity but it is the truth.

Comment

I would be very careful with any sort of heavy lifting campaign. Knowledge of form is key! Get a trainer that actually knows something.

I ruptured a disc back in college and ever since I have been battling some annoyance-level chronic pain mixed with occasional flare-ups that basically land me in bed for a day or two and a month of healing time to get back to normal. That happens to me about once a year, actually i'm about 4 days into one of those right now! Anyway, take it from the old guy, make sure you have good form and make sure you don't try to lift too much. And don't skip leg day.

Comment

Working...
                              X