Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding this weekend - suiting

Hi gents,

So I have a wedding this weekend in SF. The wedding is at 2PM and then shifts over to San Ramon for the reception.

I have a ton of blazers/sports jackets + odd trousers/slacks, but my wife would prefer I wear a suit. That's where it gets tricky. My two suits are:

1. Bonobos black suit
    2. Bonobos Seersucker suit: https://bonobos.com/bundles/the-foun...&pant-waist=31

Honestly, I'd love to wear the Seersucker, but my wife thinks it's a little crazy for a February wedding. What would you guys recommend? I know neither of the suits is particularly ideal (black suits are for funerals, Seersucker for a Derby Day or summer wedding, blah blah blah), but would love some opinions. Thanks!

I don't know your social circle but a blazer for me is not inappropriate at all. Tell your wife you don't have an appropriate suit.

Comment

I think black gets a very bad rap here. It has it's place. Is it as versatile as blue or gray? Nope, but I think if the suit is required it will do. Wear a nice tie, pocket square and be done with it. I wouldn't wear seersucker to a February wedding.

Comment

The black suit is the lesser of two evils here.

Comment

It's a two pm wedding. Black is a not a good choice, IMHO. If it was a night wedding, maybe.

Is it cocktail attire?
          My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Wear the black.

Comment

This is tough but I would probably wear the black suit. I would definitely not wear the seersucker. Maybe the sports coat+trousers combo if there is prior knowledge of very casual attire by people invited in this wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                I don't know your social circle but a blazer for me is not inappropriate at all. Tell your wife you don't have an appropriate suit.
                I probably should have elaborated on our relationship; it has something to do with jumping as high as I can when she tells me to.

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                  It's a two pm wedding. Black is a not a good choice, IMHO. If it was a night wedding, maybe.

Is it cocktail attire?
                  The invitation doesn't specify one way or the other. My brothers' in law are each wearing a dark (grey and blue, respectively) suit, FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
                    This is tough but I would probably wear the black suit. I would definitely not wear the seersucker. Maybe the sports coat+trousers combo if there is prior knowledge of very casual attire by people invited in this wedding.
                    The families involved (in my experience) don't seem all that dressy to me, however, I might try to force thru the sports coat+trousers combo. The suits I referenced (thanks to my tailor) fit very well, but I do get that neither is ideal, especially the seersucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
                      Wear the black.
                      I think this is the likeliest outcome assuming my wife doesn't go for the blazer/slacks combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabe Gador View Post
                        The invitation doesn't specify one way or the other. My brothers' in law are each wearing a dark (grey and blue, respectively) suit, FWIW.
                        I'm pretty fair skinned, especially in the winter. I wouldn't want to be photographed in black right now. Seersucker is a crappy choice too though. It will probably look out of place. I'd rather look out of place than look like shit in photographs personally. The forecast says upper 70s for this weekend up there anyway.

Honestly, I'd try to talk your wife into a sportscoat and trousers. You don't have any good options.
                        My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

I would want to know more about the formality of the wedding. San Francisco, and the West in general, isn't exactly known for a high level of formality. In any case, I'd generally be more inclined toward blazer and trousers. Having once ceded my own sartorial judgment and played dress-up doll for a manipulative ex-girlfriend, I can also tell you that you, not your wife, are responsible for your wardrobe choices.
                          Ben

Comment

Blazer and trousers. Black for a 2pm wedding seems really odd. Seersucker for a February wedding seems tacky. Both seem less appropriate than a blazer and nice slacks.

Or tell your wife that you need a new suit if she insists that your wear one.

Comment

Just buy a new suit.

But black otherwise. Maybe flair it up with a snazzy tie. but don't go overboard because it could get tacky quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X