Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chareth
    replied

I'll keep that in mind if I get bigger or my feet grow a few sizes.

I need to learn some discipline to try and not buy these "like, but not love" items in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

@Chareth: At that point you just need to get rid of the albatross. If it's a 40R jacket or 12D shoe, you can just send it to me. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Chareth
    replied

I kind of have an opposite problem. If I spend more than $100 on something but then later on I find that I don't really love it, it becomes a burden on me to wear it more often than I would normally otherwise, just to get my money's worth out of it.

Leave a comment:

• trash
    replied

Weaning yourself off of materialism can be hard, but it's liberating. I've probably gone too far in that respect, as I don't put much stock in symbolic/sentimental value either, but it's nice to know that I own my possessions and not the other way around. Clothes are meant to be worn, seen, and enjoyed, so I don't worry about it too much. I think if a pair of shoes (or whatever) is too precious for you to actually wear, they were too expensive for you in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

"I'll take Anal Bum Cover for $7000"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM0gP...eature=related

Leave a comment:

• Focuspants
    replied

haha Shawn. "I'll take the penis mightier for 100 Alex".

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

I'm usually that way about new things, regardless of price, for the first couple of weeks that I own them, and then I stop caring.

Leave a comment:

• OnlyShawn
    replied

That's "therapist," Sean Connery.

Leave a comment:

• mathis
    replied

@ OnlyShawn That sounds like something a sex therapist would say.

Hey OOOOOO!!!

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

I was that way at first with my English wingtips, but not so much anymore. Nothing else I own has really affected me that way, though, including major purchases like my vehicle and my house. My brother is afraid to put a nail in drywall to hang a picture, and I'm over here driving large hook screws into my wood paneling and ceiling to hang temporary Halloween decorations.

I guess I was very cautious with my first DSLR, too. And it wasn't nearly as nice as the one I sling around now.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Yeah, enjoy them while you wear them, then take care of them after. They'll get little scuffs but it gives them character over time if you take care of them and don't let the damage add up.

Leave a comment:

• OnlyShawn
    replied

Start valuing the patina. Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• mathis
    replied

I really appreciate this post because I've actually never purchased a pair of (non-running) shoes for over $100.00. In fact, most of my shoes have been priced at around $50.00. As you can imagine, I cycle through them quickly. Since I've been hanging around here, I'm making my plans to get me a quality pair of shoes and I still feel like I have to learn how to care for them, etc. before I take the plunge.

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    started a topic Don't let Items become a burden

Don't let Items become a burden

A friend of mine noticed my shoes and we started talking about shoe quality. She asked if my appreciation for more expensive footwear was a burden. I informed her no, and she proceeded to tell me about one of her friends who bought some 500 dollar shoes from some women's shoe company that is supposedly really good. However, since buying them, they have become more of a burden for her than anything else. She's always mindful of their condition, is scared to take the out and (in her opinion) just seems more miserable than happy with it.

Thinking back, I've had friends who purchased expensive gear (whether it's a new car, guitar, computer or etc) and were never able to enjoy them because they were so scared of keeping their items pristine. Clothing, as related to this site, would be even worse since you might not be able to keep the same form - that nice suit you bought but too scared to wear no longer fits you now.

I go through this period maybe for a month when I get something new and nice and afterwords I could really care less about it lol. However, it's not until I reach that point that I'm truly able to enjoy the item. Anyways, just food for thought

Working...
X