Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't underestimate the value of your local thrift stores in improving your shoe collection. My entire collection of hardbottom shoes is thrifted, including Florsheim black oxfords which are, quarter brouge notwithstanding, textbook formal shoes. This in a low style rural area. The thrift game can be tough sometimes, but one can make a killing on the right day. Godspeed.

EDIT: Poor word choice. All apologies.
    Last edited by JohnnySnow626; February 5, 2016, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandwich View Post
      Thanks guys. It's not about worrying how good I look at the funeral- it's about buying a pair of shoes that will be ready for me so I don't have to think at the time (and maybe get use out of now). At my grandmother's funeral (she was 90, it was her time, but thank you for the kind thoughts), there were people in brown suits, ski jackets, and everything else. I know there won't be anybody looking at my shoes at this or any future funeral, but I'd rather put the thought in now so I don't have to later. If I can get a little wear out of the shoes elsewhere, I'd be much happier than dropping money on a pair of shoes that I wouldn't take out of the closet for anything else, like my square toes....so that's why I'm asking.

I have a navy and light grey suit, the navy suit with a white shirt and black tie/leather/shoes is what I would wear in the future. I don't want to be flashy, like I said, but if I can double these shoes for interviews or weddings but dress them more conservatively for an occasional funeral, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the help.
      If you're looking for interview shoes, then I think I'd actually want to have a pair of more traditional black captoe (or wingtip or half brogue) shoes vs. a double monk or chelsea boots. Same for weddings, but not as necessary if they aren't too formal. I bought black shoes for such occasions and, even though I heavily favor brown leathers, have found myself wearing them more than I expected at work (although I wear business attire at work a good bit).

Comment

I would look at cap toe or punch toe black shoes. You don't have to spend a ton of money on them if they are only worn occasionally. Something that can take a good polish.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarick View Post
          Unless it's a very formal funeral, I doubt anyone would notice what you are wearing. I attended a funeral for the first time as an adult last year and made sure to follow all the rules (black suit, somber tie, plain black shoes, etc). Half the people at the funeral were just in what I would consider business casual and very few of those who did wear a jacket or a suit wore black. It's really all about the person you are remembering and their family though, and nobody is really looking at clothes.
          I have been hanging onto an old black suit because I thought I might wear it to a funeral but I wonder if I really would. Firstly, many people I know seem to be leaving formal religion so I go to few funerals these days. Second, I am from CA and people dress really casually and often inappropriately. I would likely just end up wearing a nice sportcoat anyway as I could literally be the only person in a black suit I am thinking.

So now I wonder would I ever wear this black suit to maybe an evening event rather than my mid-grey one?

Comment

Originally posted by ninpb View Post
            I was going into the thread thinking people were going to talk about what shoes will be buried into the ground.
            Me too. Let said if one would bite the dusk, what brand of shoes and suit would one be burying in? Lol.
            Does the dead one need to be dapper from head to toe lieing in the coffin? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by sean_anon View Post
              I have been hanging onto an old black suit because I thought I might wear it to a funeral but I wonder if I really would. Firstly, many people I know seem to be leaving formal religion so I go to few funerals these days. Second, I am from CA and people dress really casually and often inappropriately. I would likely just end up wearing a nice sportcoat anyway as I could literally be the only person in a black suit I am thinking.

So now I wonder would I ever wear this black suit to maybe an evening event rather than my mid-grey one?
              I hear you. In hindsight, I wish I had purchased a more versatile navy suit. Navy and mid-grey can cover a ton of range.

I don't think anyone would bat an eye at a navy suit at a funeral. Not a bright blue, but navy. If the blue was bolder, I'd say just about any grey suit would look more appropriate.

Comment

He wrote like in a movie.

Comment

Working...
                X