No announcement yet.

Tecovas Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got mine in, and I love them. I haven't been able to wear them enough to give a good review yet--it's 90 degrees with a hurricane warning right now, so it seems a little inappropriate. I will post a review once I've had a chance to break them in a bit. Also I will be at the event on Rainey Street in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
      I got mine in, and I love them. I haven't been able to wear them enough to give a good review yet--it's 90 degrees with a hurricane warning right now, so it seems a little inappropriate. I will post a review once I've had a chance to break them in a bit. Also I will be at the event on Rainey Street in a few weeks.
      Glad to hear positive first impressions. What's the event on Rainey St?

Comment

Originally posted by ajs116 View Post
        Glad to hear positive first impressions. What's the event on Rainey St?
        Tecovas 1 year anniversary party on 11/5 at L'Estelle House in Austin. Invites went out to customers with accounts on their website from what I can tell.

Comment

Tecovas Boot Review

I'm wearing a pair right now. I should first say that I'm a woman, so mine are the women's Penny style. (Sorry, I know this is a men's site.) I've not been able to find any reviews of Tecovas boots, but I ran across this site in my search and thought I'd try to post my own.

At any rate, I've been wearing cowboy boots since I was five years old. I'm now 58, so I feel like I'm qualified to speak with some authority on the subject. ) Former free-spirited horsewoman, current drudge of corporate society (still free-spirited). My boot of choice has been Lucchese for many years (Justin before that), but recently I've noticed a decline in the Lucchese quality. I try to find old models on eBay, and I hang onto every pair I've got, because I'm not willing anymore to pay full price for a pair of Luccheses that don't even have the same fit as they used to have.

Fit:

Here's what you want in a well-fitting pair of good cowboy boot: good arch support, a nice heel cup that cradles your heel, but allows for a little slippage when you walk, plenty of toe room. When you pull the boots on, you should hear a "thunk" when your heel hits the bottom, almost like it's being sucked in. Your heel should feel like it's completely down into the cup. (This is one thing I've noticed lately with the newer Luccheses, is that the heel cup is too shallow or something; in fact, I don't feel a "cup" at all.)

My impression of my Tecovas boots:

First of all, I believe they're well worth the price, my pair coming in at under $200. I like the authenticity of the block heel and rounded toe (but not so round as to look like a roper or to detract from the overall sleekness). There isn't a spur ledge, but how many of us are actually wearing spurs? The leather is smooth and thick. Mine are black, so I can't speak to the "burnishing" on the toes that you see in the brown versions. I don't care for that look, and that's why I opted for black. Would have probably gotten the bourbon otherwise. (Tip: Match your accessories to your hair color, and they'll go with anything -- ha!) The cording around the top of the shafts is a subtle yet classy touch. In fact, everything about these boots is subtle and classy. I can't think of a single other person where I work, in a building of 600-plus, who wears cowboy boots. I wear them virtually every day in three seasons. I never feel out of place. I guess they've become more or less my trademark. This particular pair of boots, you could wear to any event or non-event, on any job.

Comfort:

This is key, after all. I'm a standard medium width, and these fit me perfectly. I have a VERY high arch/instep. I'm left-handed; thus, my left foot is slightly larger, instep higher. The left boot is a snugger fit than the right, and this is normal for me. (Most people try on the right boot, so it may be stretched out before you even buy the boots.) At any rate, these will loosen up a bit, this being a quality leather. The ball of my foot hits exactly where it should, at the widest part of the boot. (I bought my regular size 10.) My toes are not cramped at all. I can wiggle them around with no problems. The best part of the fit (for me) is that there is ARCH SUPPORT provided by the pegged sole. You don't get that in a cheaply made pair of boots. This is also my favorite part of all my Luccheses, except the last pair I bought, which seems to be missing this feature.

Bottom Line:

If you're in the market for a well-made boot of quality materials and classic style at a good price, I don't think you can go wrong with Tecovas. Especially if they're more or less a whim (and who doesn't have whims?), they're a good investment, because you will have authenticity without breaking the bank.

I hope this review was helpful,
          Annette

Comment

Here are a few pics of mine after a handful of wears. I'm impressed so far. A+ for quality and comfort. The burnishing on the toe gives nice visual depth to the leather on the vamp. On the other hand, the leather on the shaft is very uniform in color which cheapens the look a bit. Obviously the shaft is not visible 90% of the time, so this is a minor complaint.

Kinda wish I would have waited for the chocolate calf color they just released - maybe I'll add that to the rotation next year.

Comment

Kinda wish I would have waited for the chocolate calf color they just released - maybe I'll add that to the rotation next year.
              Agreed. I prefer the chocolate to the bourbon calf that I bought. I have no use for two pairs, though, and the bourbon is breaking in nicely.

Comment

Here are a few pics of mine after a handful of wears. I'm impressed so far. A+ for quality and comfort. The burnishing on the toe gives nice visual depth to the leather on the vamp. On the other hand, the leather on the shaft is very uniform in color which cheapens the look a bit. Obviously the shaft is not visible 90% of the time, so this is a minor complaint.

a very solid looking boot! Leon, Mexico is awesome.

Comment

Just thought I would post a quick update:

I wear my bourbon Cartwrights quite a bit, and they only get better with each wear. They are more comfortable than I imagined cowboy boots would be. On one occasion, I walked about a mile in them, and I had no blistering, chafing, etc. The leather is holding up very well, as are the soles. The only problem is that I've worn them so much that I've worn off the cool Tecovas imprint on the sole. Definitely worth every penny.

I went to the Tecovas one year anniversary party here in Austin, and I had a great time. Live music, open bar. I met the guy running the company. He was very nice, chatted with my wife and me for a bit. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and vibe these guys bring to the table. I had the chance to go to the showroom in Austin last weekend, and the head man was there. He actually remembered meeting us at the anniversary event. Very nice folks, offered beer and non-alcoholic drinks when we walked in, all of the employees chatted with us. Gave me a free koozie. No sales pressure at all. My wife found a pair she liked, so I ended up buying them for her as an early valentine's day present. They came in yesterday and look perfect.

So all-in-all, great experience with the product, and great experience with the company.

Comment

Doing a little cleaning & shining on this beautiful Sunday afternoon in Austin

Comment

Great picture. I love the look of these boots, and western boots in general. I'm glad there is a little bit of attention for them here.

Comment

Are ya'll still happy with your Tecovas? I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on some full quill ostrich boots as a graduation present to myself today.

Comment

Originally posted by KingKroupa View Post
                          Are ya'll still happy with your Tecovas? I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on some full quill ostrich boots as a graduation present to myself today.

i ended up getting a pair for my sister she wears them all the time, nearly. I fully inspected them when i got them, and they are well put together, and very much worth the money. My sister just *loves* them.

Comment

Originally posted by KingKroupa View Post
                            Yep. I added a 2nd pair to my collection - ostrich, chocolate brown.

Although I just looked at their website for the first time in awhile and saw they added square-toe boots ...I remember for awhile they were outspoken against them. Money talks of course.

Comment

Working...
                            X