Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To roll up or not................sleeves, that is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To roll up or not................sleeves, that is?

I am going to a seminar today and it was said for the attendees to wear business casual, which to me means "no tie." I believe the event will possibly have great networking potential. My question is "Is is appropriate to have your sleeves rolled up even at an event such as this?" 'Preciate the input.

If you will be doing networking, I would say no to be on the safe side. You could always roll them up later on if you see others do the same.

Comment

I'd say no. Depending on the weather and what sort of work you're in, I may even suggest wearing a sportcoat.

Comment

Thanks gents!

Failed to say this earlier but I was going to wear a lightweight sweater and the rolled up shirt considering that it will 69/70 degrees.

Also, I'm in finance.

Comment

+1 for the sportcoat

Comment

In finance business casual means tie and sportcoat

Comment

Damn @ tie AND sportcoat in this humid weather! Thanks fellas!

Comment

Disagree that in finance, biz casual always means tie and a sportcoat, but it is better to err on the side of caution. You might wear something that's good with or without the tie, and check things out early to see what people are wearing.

I personally think that the sweater could work in lieu of the sportcoat, but I'd still be wary of rolling sleeves in a professional setting.

Comment

Regarding Jason's comment - I think this varies greatly. The client I'm at right now manages a very large set of mutual funds (aka finance) and very few people here are in a tie. The only ones I see in ties are visitors or those coming from a meeting with external parties.

However, I'm on the west coast AND seminars in general can typically warrant at least a jacket and theres nothing unusual about wearing a tie as well.

Comment

Yeah, East coast finance is more formal... The closer you are to NYC the more formal it is, I think

Comment

I'm agreeing with hornsup84 when he says that it is better to err on the side of caution. Wear the sportcoat and tie... determine if it's too formal when you get there and take it off/roll up sleeves if needed.

Comment

Fellas,

Just came back from the seminar and it was a bust! It was presented to me as a great networking opportunity and, in turn, I asked my good ol' friends here at Dappered for stylistic advice. Well, I get there expecting people to be http://www.elysion.com.au/Site/Home_...20together.png instead they were http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumbla...10417upSms.jpg. And to top that off, the presenters were peddling CDs, books and training seminars. I quickly http://i46.tinypic.com/2n84hdv.jpg.

Thanks again, Dappered brethren.

Comment

LOL nice...

Comment

Ha ha.

Comment

I am a habitual sleeve roller unless I'm wearing a jacket.. Literally cannot help it.

Comment

Working...
                              X