Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys use anything to ward off moths in your closet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys use anything to ward off moths in your closet?

I don't really see that many moths in my house, but I was curious if this is something everyone needs to do kind of like using shoe trees for their shoes.

cedar blocks and cedar hanging blocks is what I use in between all my suits blazers and near my wool ties. Also keep some with a few pairs of wool socks and my sweater drawer.

Comment

FWIW, I've never had any moth damage despite never taking any major precautions. That being said, it only takes one damaged jacket to make you wish you had.

I do have 3 pairs of cedar shoe trees that fill the closet with cedar smell. I like to think that helps, though I honestly can't say whether its really enough or not. I also used to have litlle 1" cedar blocks tossed in my sock drawer but they lost their potency years ago.

I have seen cedar planks that you can buy to line your closet walls - basically turning your closet into a cedar vault. I would love to do that.

Comment

I have little cedar rings on the hangar for most of my sportcoats and wool pants and hanging cedar blocks spread through my closet.

I also have cedar blocks in the hanging drawers I keep my sweaters in.

Comment

I use cedar pant hangers for all of my dress pants, but I'd like to get more cedar hangers for my shirts and suits.

Comment

Yes, I use spiders.

Comment

Wait...I can just put my shoes (with cedar wood trees) in my closet to ward off moths!?

Comment

@Acoustic: Any cedar helps. Shoe trees probably don't go very far, but it's better than nothing.

Comment

@Alan: Hmm...so do I just go to home depot or something and buy a block or cedar wood ?

Comment

@Acoustic: It has to be aromatic cedar, and the closer it is to your clothes and the bigger the smell, the better. Otherwise, yup.

Something like this is better than nothing.

Comment

@Acoustic - Amazon has a good variety of cedar products:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_sq_top/186-6707699-3357268?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=cedar%20hangers&in dex=blended&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0ZHFBYTFG9Z7N554XAQE&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p =486539851&pf_rd_i=B000ETOFWG

Also, Cedarville Store has a huge selection:

http://www.cedarvillestore.com/default.aspx

Comment

I have cedar hangers, a shoe rack and the shoe trees. I don't even notice the smell anymore but when I first got em it was nuts how much my room smelled like cedar.

Comment

@runner guys thanks, I'm browsing through amazon now.

How many wooden blocks would I need? My closet with my more important things is 6 feet by 4 feet. Is buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/CedarFresh-Cedar-Lavender-Blocks-Set/dp/B000BZWENU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

enough wood?

Comment

@EF: You probably don't notice them as much anymore because the smell dissipates after a while. Lightly sanding them should start them all right back up.

@Acoustic: The blocks work well inside drawers, bins, etc. If you're using them to fill a room, you'll probably want more than one package. That being said, I don't know the magic number. But the closet you're talking abotu isn't particularly large so that helps.

Comment

One of the things I have is like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cedar-B222-Aromatic-Hang-ups-18-Piece/dp/B003VWDOCK/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_c

I got all of mine at Target... those hangers, little round things to stick on regular hangars, and little 2x2x.5 blocks that I stick in with my sweaters.

Comment

Working...
                              X