Color Matching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color Matching?

Hey guys, I recently got a charcoal herringbone blazer as well as a pair of chocolate brown chinos. I am a little unsure what color pants go well with the blazer (aside from jeans) and conversely I am unsure what colors would go well with the brown chinos. I feel like most of my attempts end up clashing or being too single color/monochromatic.

Color-wise, a charcoal blazer will go with nearly everything. Style-wise, if its really dressy, it'll look odd with casual pants/shirts and vice versa.

As for the chinos... any cool colored (blue, green, purple) would probably work as well as white and grey. That's surely not an exhaustive list, though.

Comment

sup steve. To add to alan's point, it really depends on the fabric and and scale of the herringbones, but with you saying it can be worn with jeans, i feel its definatley sc worthy, so with that being said you can wear it with anything barring sweat pants, and IMO cargo chinos (dont understand that fad).

The chinos on the other hand be careful with the monochrome, depending on your skin tone you can look very washed out. Colors to close together might not work so well, i suggest earth-tones, reds yellows greens. Im not so sure about the purple though. Also remember to contrast your colors, if your bottoms are dark top should be lighter...even out your scaling...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

@Max: Not so sure about the brown/purple?

Comment

Thanks guys. Today with the chinos I tried out a lighter brown belt and shoes with a white shirt (with thin blue windowpane stripes). Looked pretty good. I will try more cool colors and earth tones.

As for the blazer its basically right in the middle of dressy and casual. It's not a completely unstructured casual only material, however it isn't something I would wear when trying to be extremely formal. Works well for business casual or hitting a bar and wanting to dress a little nicer than your typical crowd. I had a thought though, would these two items actually work together (the blazer with the pants)? Would be an ironic solution to both issues.

Comment

It would be entirely possible (if not likely) that they'll work together, though the combo would be rather dark, and spring is a bright season. Something to keep in mind for fall, though!

Comment

second alans comment. And Alan, love the challenge accepted, i will try this combo when i get home, i have both colors...what purple you thinking? a pastel or a richer color?

I>0<I

Comment

I'm trying it with a shirt that has extremely fine gauge alternating stripes of deep purple and white that resolves to a medium/light purple. Punching up the color with a red tie. Finishing it off with a navy blazer. I'm walking out the door this way today so lets hope I don't look like an idiot. But at least I'm committed. :-)

Comment

The result (for better or for worse):

The full write-up is in the WIWT thread.

Comment

Alan, looking good man. From the original description I was anticipating the purple being a lot deeper/darker, the light color looks great.

Comment

Thanks! The shirt is a little more purple than the picture shows, but the blue walls and the cool color temperature of the overhead lights kind of jacked up the picture. Still, it's closer to a lavender than a deep purple. It's kind of hard to tell there's any brown in the pants, too. Oh well.

Comment

nice one alan, i figured a lavender would look alright with the darker brown. I think a pastel like lavender works well with many darker colors. i think it works mainly because you have good contrast going and you blended in the white stripes. Well done!

I>0<I

Comment

Working...
                        X