Faceless pictures on menswear forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faceless pictures on menswear forums

I'm just curious what the deal is with the faceless pictures and fit questions, e.g. "does this tie look right?" posts.

I understand not everybody cares to be out there on the Internet. But, I do think at least some kind of blurred shape of a face would help with these types of questions. It is sort of difficult to help out otherwise.

How this is supposed to work if people are asking how they look, but not revealing any bit of how they look? It's like you look like a headless man. Buy a head that matches those lapels. Just saying...

Maybe I am wrong here and people are better at imagining this stuff than I am. If so, sorry for questioning it.

It's a balance, innit? Sure, if a person posts a full picture including their face, others might be able to provide more concise feedback. However, there is value in preserving a certain anonymity on the Internet, as I have to presume that many of us are professionals with careers with a smidge of concern for our online footprints.

Comment

As long as you're not doing anything stupid on the internet, what's wrong with having your face out there? I ran a quick search of my name on Google, and I only came up with 5 results that matched my face (fb, linkedin, google+, non-profit website, and old myspace profile). All are non questionable pictures. I can't imagine a "how does this look" picture will put your career in the commode.

Comment

Personally, I like to see faces, because it helps frame what I'm seeing. That's why instagram pages like @Rule_of_Thumbs freak me out lol.

Comment

well i mean, if i posted a fashion website picture, it's not about me, it's about my outfit.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
            well i mean, if i posted a fashion website picture, it's not about me, it's about my outfit.
            I guess it kind of depends on why you're posting. If you're posting to say "check out the awesome outfit I wore today" then yes, it's about the outfit. But if you're posting for advice, sometimes you need to see the entire picture. Skin tone, hair color, etc would be important I would think.

-John

Comment

Yea this is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine. I know it's personal preference, but it just looks weird when people post pictures with their faces blocked. Especially if it's a menswear blog or IG page.

Comment

I would figure you guys would all know by now that everyone on a mens fashion website is just ugly, and trying to compensate somehow. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                  I would figure you guys would all know by now that everyone on a mens fashion website is just ugly, and trying to compensate somehow. ;-)
                  Exactly. In my case, don't mind the troll face, just tell me the hat looked good.

Comment

I notice the only people who ever bring this up are never regular WIWT/Sunday Challenge/etc posters.
                    Ben

Comment

I used to show my face in WIWT but that was when my wife was taking the pictures. She now leaves earlier for work so I take them myself in an awkward selfie pose. I also use my name as my forum name which helps me think before posting something stupid. I would say to your face anything I post on these or other forums.

I agree with LBD that this is usually brought up outside of those mentioned threads. I guess only certain people post there but off the top of my head I know what 3-4 regular posters faces look like. Also Michael Ray, you posted your face recently so I know what you look like now too!

Comment

I dont think the faces are relevant. Faces determine attractiveness, body determines fit. I worked in the service industry for years and I always felt uncomfortable bumping into customers outside of work. They recognized me, knew my name and talked to me like we were friends and stuff. Sure, there were a couple that I actually liked but for the most part I was kissing your ass for money. I dont want to do that int he grocery aisle. A little off point there for a second but bear with me. You guys are all cool. I would even consider a meetup. But I dont want every registered user to have the ability to recognize and approach me outside of the forums int he real world. The chances of that are super slim but I have actually had it happen. Someone recognized my car from a car forum and actually waited around until I came out to leave. No thanks man. If I wanted to hangout we would have PMed and you would have my number. MOST of the people on here it would be totally innocent but there are some nutbar idiots out there. WIWT and your opinion on how my face shape impacts the fit of my blazer is not worth the exposure...and honestly not that relevant. If I ask about how a pair of glasses look, you can get my face. The rest, you dont need it. Honestly, it can be distracting from the actual item. There is a reason most mannequins inside of the store do not have heads. They want you to focus on the clothing and not make a personal connection other than your own. Mannequins with heads are most commonly used in window displays when the store is trying to create a "scene".

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                          I used to show my face in WIWT but that was when my wife was taking the pictures. She now leaves earlier for work so I take them myself in an awkward selfie pose. I also use my name as my forum name which helps me think before posting something stupid. I would say to your face anything I post on these or other forums.

I agree with LBD that this is usually brought up outside of those mentioned threads. I guess only certain people post there but off the top of my head I know what 3-4 regular posters faces look like. Also Michael Ray, you posted your face recently so I know what you look like now too!
                          +1. If you're taking the pictures yourself it's much harder to get your face in it and have it come out good. You'll see both from me. I actually tend to prefer the faceless pictures, because it keeps the focus on the outfit. The only time I think it might matter to the outfit is if you have a head that's disproportionate to your body and have to take that into consideration when coordinating outfits. Most people don't have that issue.
                          My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by udub86 View Post
                            As long as you're not doing anything stupid on the internet, what's wrong with having your face out there? I ran a quick search of my name on Google, and I only came up with 5 results that matched my face (fb, linkedin, google+, non-profit website, and old myspace profile). All are non questionable pictures. I can't imagine a "how does this look" picture will put your career in the commode.
                            Based on the amount of NSA spying, identity theft, publicly available facial recognition sites, etc. I'd say there is a very good reason to preserve one's identity. Namely their privacy. You won't miss it (your privacy that is) until it's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                              Based on the amount of NSA spying, identity theft, publicly available facial recognition sites, etc. I'd say there is a very good reason to preserve one's identity. Namely their privacy. You won't miss it (your privacy that is) until it's gone.
                              I'm not a conspiracy nut type, but I agree with this -- I'm sure someone could piece together my online presence and figure out who I am if they really wanted to, but I don't want to give it away that easily for anyone with google.

As for professionalism, it's not just protection of saying something stupid; it's more that anyone I work with or across from doesn't need to know I post here or anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X