Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sleeve length

Ok, looking for a bit of advise on sleeve length. Two questions:

1. where should the cuff rest on a dress shirt?

2. where should the cuff rest on a sport jacket?

Thanks in advance!

1. At your wrist bone.

2. About 1/4" shorter than the shirt (you want to show about 1/4" of shirt cuff).

Comment

what bone is that exactly?

Comment

Shirt cuffs should always cover your wrist bone, but not pass your wrist where as to have the shirt begin to cover your hand. On most OTR and RTW shirts, this means closing the cuff with the inner button and the rest will take care of itself. Just make sure the shirt sleeves are long enough. Sleeves on a jacket should not be longer than your wrists, however shorter is a matter of preference.

Comment

For reference, I size (non-French cuff) shirt sleeves in the store by if the side of the cuff with the buttonhole is just below my pinky knuckles with the cuffs fully open.

Of course, this is always a bit of an issue as my right arm is 34 while my left is more like 33.5. I usually just get 34 so it will shrink to 33.5. Sometimes stated length means nothing, too... I recently got a 34 which is a 35.

The pic is what I mean by below knuckle.
          Last edited by ianr; January 7, 2016, 09:07 PM. Reason: Illustration

Comment

[MENTION=15018]Gangster[/MENTION] -- you described it perfectly. This is true when arms are at rest (not perfectly straight) by your side. [MENTION=14805]ianmichaelray[/MENTION] -- I agree with the extra length when the shirt cuff is open. You should be able to put your arms out horizontally in front of you without feeling like you are going to rip the shirt. Paul Fredrick size 34 fits me, but size 34 Charles Tyrwhitt is a little too small.

Comment

Doesn't this mean that all the models for brands such d SuitSupply are wearing shirts and jackets too small for them?

Comment

No, not that I have seen

Comment

Originally posted by coppertone View Post
                  Doesn't this mean that all the models for brands such d SuitSupply are wearing shirts and jackets too small for them?
                  You can go up to a half-inch of cuff, which is a more European look. Personally I like to show more cuff—but I often have to fight with American alterations tailors to give it to me. Until recently, the style in the U.S. was to show no cuff at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X