Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprise Tux Help!

Hello all,
    I'm new around these parts (have lurked occasionally for a while, long-time Dappered reader), and was hoping to ask the group for a suggestion for how to not break the bank on a tux? I found out yesterday (1/6) that my boss has secured my wife and I tickets to a black-tie gala/fundraiser on 1/23 for my organization that's our biggest of the year. Also, I bet it's a lot of fun. The problem being: I have never owned a tux! So, I've got a little over two weeks to find a tux (I'm not interested in renting, I don't think, last time I did that was a specific tux for a buddy's wedding last year and the bill came to over $300 for the rental). I'd really love a midnight-blue or navy one, honestly, have wanted one of those for years now but never had the excuse to buy it! That being said, my clothing budget is $200/month (and I've already spent January's - thanks SuitSupply Outlet!), so I don't really want to kill the fatted calf here. I looked at the suitsupply options, but I can't really justify spending the $600-700 on a thing I wear perhaps once per year (if that), as that'll kill the ol' clothing budget well into, like, June. I'd be happy with any type of lapel, though I think the shawl collar or notch-lapel are the most fun. I'm a very slim fella, and am pathologically averse to boxy clothing, but happy to visit the tailor. That being said I've thought about:

https://combatgent.com/tuxedos/midni...-collar-tuxedo

Anybody have experience or thoughts with them? I've heard mixed reviews in the past regarding shipping times, but I've never really heard a lot of discussion of their fit/quality/etc. And, for $200 I'd probably be happy to take a flyer and see what happens, I suppose. Anybody have other suggestions for tuxes that are reasonable? As I said, bonus points for navy or midnight blue!
    Bears

Given a very short turn around, I'd suggest checking out Macy's or other department store. I picked out my tux from there, they had separates for easy fitting, had it fitted and perfect. For an item that won't see a lot of use, I think a department store tux is the way to go. Also, Macy's is having a ton of sales. If I remember correctly, with coupons etc. I was out the door for under $200.

I want to say it was this one but that was 5 years ago: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/i...26kws%3Dtuxedi

Then if you find yourself wearing one more often, take the time to explore SS or Combatgent where you aren't pushed for time.

Comment

A fine suggestion, and I thank you! I had totally not thought about going into an actual store, that's a fine idea! I don't have any Macy's anywhere near my location (I live in a small-ish town), and that would be great right now, I think, as they're having a lot of close-outs at present. However, we have a Belk and a JCP in town, so perhaps one of them would have something "suitable" () with some sort of discount code action. Corollary question for the group: anybody ever wear a blue/navy tux with brown shoes? I have a lovely pair of mid-brown double monks that take a nice high shine if need be, and brown and blue are perhaps the peanut butter and jelly of the sartorial cupboard, and using things I already have (instead of buying black shoes, which I have never bought as I just like the various browns considerably better) would certainly help keep the note cheaper.

Comment

Never worn anything but tuxedo shoes with a tuxedo. Now I did buy a very cheap pair of tuxedo shoes because they made see 2 outings a year.
        http://www.amazon.com/Stacy-Adams-Ro.../dp/B00EIH1PO6

I would not wear monks, or any brown shoe with a tuxedo. Tuxes for formal events are strictly tuxedo shoe or high polished plain black shoe in my experience. Not that it cannot be done but would definitely stand out for the wrong reasons.

Comment

I wear my super plain black captoes shined up with my formal attire. I'm in the market for some fun formal pumps, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I would have a hard time wearing brown shoes with a tux... the midnight blue is already technically a diversion from the norm in terms of black tie.

I'd probably say a black tux should be bought before a midnight blue -- I've had plenty of weddings where the groomsmen were required to be in a black tux, but could wear their own if they had it. I wouldn't want to wear midnight blue in those situations, as it'd be disrespectful to the groom (and the bride). I also have some formal events that I'd feel awkward in something less than a traditional black tux. YMMV. That being said, I may grab a dinner jacket that is a slightly patterned midnight blue or a traditional white dinner jacket so I can mix things up at my formal events that are... less formal?

Comment

I just ordered a dinner jacket and pants from CG as well, but they haven't shipped yet. But I am happy with the quality of their suits - in my opinion, they are surprisingly well made, and fit really well (obviously it works for my body). I personally haven't had any problems with shipping or returns.

Also, keep in mind that the pants will need to be hemmed when you receive them, so that would also entail finding a tailor.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
              I'd probably say a black tux should be bought before a midnight blue
              Depends on the immediacy of the need, yes? Looks like for this particular event, it really wouldn't matter.

But generally, I agree with you that midnight blue wouldn't work for every occasion.

Comment

Thanks, one and all. Seems like sage advice, I'll steer clear of the brown. Maybe I can find a black Park Aves seconds for cheap or something that I can get to a high shine - I'm a big believer (generally) in not having uni-taskers more than necessary, and formal patent leather pumps seem like the embodiment of the concept of a uni-tasker. I fully realize that a tux may be considered a uni-tasker, but they say if you own one then you find reasons to wear it more often. That also being said, my groomsman days are done most likely as the last of my group of gents got married last year, so I need not worry about that too much, and could potentially let my not-black-tuxedo freak flag fly.

On an only-somewhat-related note, I gave waaaaaaaaaaaay too much thought to the double-breasted black watch tuxedo on the suit supply outlet last night, as it is just baller as all hell, but it'd really never see the light of day much. It also may come off just a little too 70's as the lapels look wildly wide, and I think wide peak lapels on top of a plaid-esque pattern on top of a double-breast is just too much. But damn, with enough swagger it could look good. Maybe.

Comment

You could also look at thrift stores. Personally, I wouldn’t “invest” in a tux from JCP. You might luck out and get better quality at a thrift store that would work with quick and minor alterations.

Comment

Check eBay for shoes. You can find formal patent leather shoes for pretty cheap on there. I got my current pair of tuxedo shoes on eBay for $15.

Check out the black tie guide website, there is great information on what is appropriate and what is not.

Comment

Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
                      Depends on the immediacy of the need, yes? Looks like for this particular event, it really wouldn't matter.

But generally, I agree with you that midnight blue wouldn't work for every occasion.
                      Naturally. I assumed (whether right or not) from the OP's post that he doesn't have a ton of occasions to use formal attire. If that's the case, I personally would want one that would work for everything. Buying midnight blue now might require a second tux at a later time... or it might not. Like I said, YMMV as it depends on the OP's particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                        Naturally. I assumed (whether right or not) from the OP's post that he doesn't have a ton of occasions to use formal attire. If that's the case, I personally would want one that would work for everything. Buying midnight blue now might require a second tux at a later time... or it might not. Like I said, YMMV as it depends on the OP's particular situation.
                        And I'd say that I certainly don't have many black tie occasions, though I do like a good party. And I certainly am grateful for the advice! I shall ruminate upon these things.

Comment

If I were worried about versatility, I'd strongly consider a dark suit, white dress shirt, and a satin bow tie. I don't know how "black tie" this event really is, but a tux is really a poor fit for both cost and versatility.

I'd find it difficult to justify spending $300 on a rental (can you really not rent cheaper than that?) or purchasing a tux I didn't really want when I could buy the one I actually want (SuitSupply midnight shawl collar) for $600. That's a lot of money, but so is $300 if it comes with enough compromises that I don't really like the end result, and most of what I see at Macy's is at least $300 and definitely not what I would want. The CombatGent tux would be something I'd consider, since the main compromise seems to be the extra button (and I guess the angled flap pockets), and the price point is good. I'd be worried about ordering from them if I needed the tux tailored and wearable in 2 weeks, though.

I doubt that I'd need a black tux significantly more often than a midnight blue tux. That only happens when I'm in a wedding party, which is quite rare, and I'm not sure that my tux would be a close enough match to avoid the rental anyway. Will the bride be okay with my shawl collar, single button black tux when everyone else is wearing ill-fitting notch collar, two button tuxes? Maybe, maybe not. Again, hard to justify compromising on what I want in order to satisfy a hypothetical situation.

So yeah, I'd probably try to get by with a nice suit or spend the money on the tux I actually want (or find a more affordable rental).

Edit: Blue suit like so: http://hespokestyle.com/black-tie-blue-suit/

This would probably end up looking way nicer than a rented tux, and be way more versatile (and cheaper if you own a navy suit) than any tux. With so many tuxes styled like suits anyway, all this is really missing is satin trim.
                          Last edited by dpark; January 7, 2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I don't know if I would wear a navy suit masqueraded as a tux. I don't know where OP is from, but at black tie events in LA, a dark suit is not out of place. A dark suit dressed up as a tux, to me, looks like out of place. If I were to go that route, I would just wear it with a normal white shirt and a neck tie.

If OP wants to go with a midnight blue tux, I think that is fine. A midnight blue tux is just as formal and versatile as black. The only downside to midnight blue is that it will stand out slightly, and if you go to multiple black tie events, it will be obvious you are wearing the same tux to each event. If you wear the same black tuxedo to all the same events, nobody will think anything of it.

I like CG products, and when I have ordered from them when the item is in stock, I get the product very quickly. I have gotten stuff the next day (of course, I live in LA, near their location). However, I do not like the designs of their current tuxedo offerings, as they are not exactly correct.

With a tuxedo, I would not want to settle for something I didn't like and have to make another purchase later. eBay can be useful if you know your measurements. If you cannot make it to a department store, you can probably order from them online. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Billyum View Post
                              I don't know if I would wear a navy suit masqueraded as a tux. I don't know where OP is from, but at black tie events in LA, a dark suit is not out of place. A dark suit dressed up as a tux, to me, looks like out of place. If I were to go that route, I would just wear it with a normal white shirt and a neck tie.
                              I don't know. Given the choice between "suit dressed up as a tux" and "clearly not even trying for black tie", I'd go with the former. But it might depend on what you're referring to when you say normal shirt and tie. Does it look like it's appropriate for the office? Then I wouldn't wear it to a black tie event. If my invite said black tie, I would want to show up looking dressier than I would for a meeting.

But then, I never go to black tie events, so maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X