Purchasing my first sport coat/blazer, input appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing my first sport coat/blazer, input appreciated

Hey guys, I've been a long time visitor to this site and decided tonight to give the forums a try due to this purchase. I am in the market to purchase my first jacket, read: sportcoat or blazer. I have done quite a bit of reading regarding proper fit, button stance, armholes, etc. I already have a tailor to whom I take my dress shirts since every one I buy needs fairly significant taking in at the sides due to my frame (41.5" chest, 31" waist, 6'1" tall, 180 lbs) but I am obviously trying to find the best possible fit off the rack. My main dilemma is deciding which color, pattern, and fabric to choose for my jacket. I live in Florida so I am leaning towards a 100% cotton. As for colors I narrowed it down to grey or navy blue, since it is my first jacket. I will be wearing it primarily casually but would like it to be versatile enough to wear with dark denim, grey flannels, and khaki/black/heather grey dress pants. I stopped by GAP today to checkout the ticket pocket blazer which was posted recently but they do not carry it in store around here yet. I also stopped into J. Crew where I found this:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~24955/24955.jsp

It does not come in standard jacket sizing, but the Large fit damn near perfect. It is a little hard to tell from the online picture but it has very thin black pinstripes. Any input as to the suitability for this as a first sport coat, or jacket in general, is greatly appreciated.

This is one is also J. Crew, so it should have a similar fit. This particular jacket is from their Factory line, so the price is certainly right.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_factory_ca...~~~~/38647.jsp

I have this one myself, and keep in mind that the blue is a pretty dark navy color. Keep that in mind if you're looking for something a bit lighter.

No matter what you decide, be sure to stay away from synthetics like polyester. You'll be miserable in a warm climate with a jacket that doesn't breathe well!

Comment

I'd take ColoradoGuy's suggestion. Navy will be much more versatile for you. The corded one would be a good second blazer to pick up, but I'd plan to pick up a navy wool blazer in the fall too. From there, branch into another wool blazer, etf.

The Ludlow is a great route to go for a fitted coat off the rack. H&M has fitted cotton blazers now as par of their suiting for a cheaper option too. If you're defining your style, a cheap option is a good way to explore how you will use it before committing more money. Thrifting is good for this too.

Comment

It'll depend on your own personal style.

I suppose I'm a traditionalist, but my first would be navy and wool. Second would be grey and wool. Third would be khaki or brown and either cotton or corded. Then the skies the limit. (It's a slippery slope.)

Comment

The wool navy blazer is a classic staple, you should own one at one point or another.

But my point of view will be different from the others.

If you're just starting, I would just get a cheaper blazer from H&M or Gap, just to get used to the feeling. It really depends on your situation, but I found it overwhelming at first to wear a sport coat while every one around me was wearing a t-shirt or a casual shirt. Once you're used to the feeling, it will be the time to invest in some classic, dependable pieces.

I harldy wear my wool navy blazer, it looks too formal for me. On the other hand, I would love to wear a cotton navy blazer like the one ColoradoGuy posted. If they had smaller sizes, it would be an instant buy.

Comment

since you live in florida, and you know what colors your seeking, i think that blue linen number at H&M is a good look. personally i think H&M makes awesome fitting jackets and many may disagree but i think their quality is fairly good, as long as you properly tend to the fabric. look at this one and tell me you dont like it!

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
            I>0<I

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. It seems the consensus is that for a first jacket it should be in navy. I will definitely check out the H&M cotton line. I plan on going with cotton since the 90 degree plus weather is beginning to set in here. I too think a wool navy blazer looks too formal for my needs right now. Thoughts on this, also from J. Crew?:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...2291/72291.jsp

Comment

i think that blazer is too "memorable". while the glen plaid is understated, it may not give you the versatility you seek. You might get away with 2 wears a week in it...but with that aside its a nice looking blazer but its not true navy, i think its more a royal blue

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

Being that you're in Florida and it's about to be Summer (I'm not sure they do Spring in Florida, or if they do it's while the rest of us are doing Winter) I'd say stay away from wool unless it's labelled "tropical wool". Linen or cotton would be the best bet. I'd also stay away from Navy right now. I think the last one you linked is on the right track... It depends on how noticeable the pattern is.

Actually, I may have the perfect thing for you... I bought this hoping to make it work for me:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/291953/zegna-silkskin-blazer-in-silk-cotton-patch-pockets-twin-vent-made-in-switzerland-c-44-offers-welcome

It's an amazing sportcoat and if I could I'd spend a lot to get it tailored, but it's just too long for me. Since this is your first sportcoat, though, you probably don't know the right measurements so I wouldn't suggest the risk unless you have something to compare it to.

Comment

I'm really having trouble with choosing a color. The majority of my shirts I would be wearing under it at this point are some sort of blue. I stopped by H&M and was highly disappointed in how far past my shoulder the shoulder of the jacket extended. Would the first jacket I linked honestly be a bad choice for a first jacket? Or grey as a color in general?

Comment

Light grey is not a bad choice at all. That, beige / natural linen, or royal blue would be my suggestions for the summer.

Comment

Hey guys, quick update. I ended up picking up the Corded Cotton in Ludlow fit from J.Crew the other day, I loved the grey. I dropped it off at the tailor yesterday to have the sides taken in. Another quick question. I am going to a sorority formal in the next few weeks and plan on breaking out my new jacket for this. They call it a formal but it is far from everyone walking around decked out in suits. What are your thoughts on pairing it with either of these pants? (I'm curious since they are also grey, just darker):

http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-408368_6Q.html?CM_MERCH=Shopping_Cart

http://www.dillards.com/product/Murano-Zac-FlatFront-Wool-Blend-Dress-Pants_301_-1_301_502962824

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Here's the jacket link again:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...4955/24955.jsp

Comment

It's Spring! Put some color in there. What school do you go to? What's your school colors?

Maybe some blue or red chinos?

Comment

Hey Jason, were you thinking navy blue?

Comment

No, something more like this (or maybe a touch darker):

http://www.bonobos.com/po-8754-garga...e-straight-leg

Comment

Working...
                              X