Question Shadow stripe suit for funeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
    Here's one for you. Don't want to hijack the thread with a theoretical question, but I have both dark navy and charcoal. My navy suit is more traditionally styled (notch lapels, worsted wool, etc.). My charcoal however has peak lapels, a ticket pocket and the wool has a herringbone pattern. Which would you wear?
    I was assuming that the navy and charcoal were both solids / similar styling, but fair point -- that being said, I'm going to disagree with charles and pepetito and say that unless the herringbone pattern and/or peak lapels are particularly garish or obscenely showy, I still might go for the charcoal over navy. Most people won't know the difference between peak vs. notch or herringbone vs. solid worsted. Although this is likely splitting hairs -- most people won't really care charcoal over navy either.

Comment

Folks put way too much thought into this. Dark suit, if you have one, dark tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
        Exactly this. I don't know if I would even include a pocket square. If I did, white cotton/linen in a TV fold only is the way to go.

The way I've seen people dressed at funerals even here in NY/NJ, showing up in a suit might attract too much attention unless you are blood related.

My wife has two very old family members on her side, so I will be putting this into practice within the next few years.

Comment

Question Shadow stripe suit for funeral

I have a solid black suit for this (and only this ) very reason. Here in Japan there is zero deviation culturally from black suit & solid black tie for a funeral. Literally, if you are over 12 you have a funeral suit. Two years ago my mom passed & I go back for the funeral w/ my black suit. I was amazed at what people wore. Other than my dad (who wore navy) almost zero suits, entirely blazers & trousers. And i was raised in a fairly conservative Midwestern suburb.

Comment

I also have an all-black suit for this purpose. Tags still on it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
              Well said.

Comment

Working...
              X