Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question Shadow stripe suit for funeral

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Question Shadow stripe suit for funeral

    Is a black shadow stripe, aka self stripe, aka tonal (I think they are all the same) suit acceptable attire for a funeral or only solid black? I have a nice Canali shadow stripe but am unsure if it would be appropriate.

    #2
    Originally posted by suitsxthree View Post
    Is a black shadow stripe, aka self stripe, aka tonal (I think they are all the same) suit acceptable attire for a funeral or only solid black? I have a nice Canali shadow stripe but am unsure if it would be appropriate.
    Traditionally a suit worn to a funeral should be a solid dark color with black being the most traditional. I don't own a black suit so I usually stick with dark grey or charcoal but have worn a dark navy suit as well (I have been to a lot of funerals). I always stick with a white shirt and a solid dark tie with a solid white pocketsquare/handkerchief. I would say use your best judgement but if the suit reads as solid from a short distance go for it. It will also kind of depend on where you are in the world, the type of funeral (yes there are types), your relation to the deceased, etc. Down here in New Orleans people don't generally follow the guidelines for funerals and they can get a little rowdy. Google Jazz funerals and 2nd lines and you will see what I mean.

    Comment


      #3
      That's likely fine. This style is often sold in the "funeral" category.

      Comment


        #4
        Even dark blue/navy is taking a bit of a risk for a funeral in a traditional setting, isn't it? I'd thought that dark grey/charcoal was the preferred alternative to black for those who don't own a black suit. How do you determine when blue is appropriate and when you should stick to grey?

        Originally posted by Michael Kenny View Post
        Traditionally a suit worn to a funeral should be a solid dark color with black being the most traditional. I don't own a black suit so I usually stick with dark grey or charcoal but have worn a dark navy suit as well (I have been to a lot of funerals). I always stick with a white shirt and a solid dark tie with a solid white pocketsquare/handkerchief. I would say use your best judgement but if the suit reads as solid from a short distance go for it. It will also kind of depend on where you are in the world, the type of funeral (yes there are types), your relation to the deceased, etc. Down here in New Orleans people don't generally follow the guidelines for funerals and they can get a little rowdy. Google Jazz funerals and 2nd lines and you will see what I mean.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by srlclark View Post
          Even dark blue/navy is taking a bit of a risk for a funeral in a traditional setting, isn't it? I'd thought that dark grey/charcoal was the preferred alternative to black for those who don't own a black suit. How do you determine when blue is appropriate and when you should stick to grey?
          Again I would say it would be situation dependent. My blue suit is a midnight blue and very hard to distinguish from Black; I guess you wouldn't really call that navy actually. I think what it really boils down to is the attire should be classic, somber, downplayed, simple, not flashy, etc. Avoid bright colors, loud patterns (or any patterns really), etc. But I have seen everything you could think of at funerals including shorts.... yup... Gotta love the South.

          Comment


            #6
            Shadow stripe is fine. Pin stripe isn't. You'll be fine.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by srlclark View Post
              Even dark blue/navy is taking a bit of a risk for a funeral in a traditional setting, isn't it? I'd thought that dark grey/charcoal was the preferred alternative to black for those who don't own a black suit. How do you determine when blue is appropriate and when you should stick to grey?
              You do your best with what you have. If you don't have a completely appropriate suit you wear the darkest, most formal but not dressy suit you have. If you're reaching an age where funerals/memorial services are not a rare thing, you look into buying an suit that really fits - like dark gray. But if not, you dress respectfully in navy or mid gray or something, with a plain tie and plain shirt, show up and don't worry too much about it.


              Originally posted by Michael Kenny View Post
              I think what it really boils down to is the attire should be classic, somber, downplayed, simple, not flashy, etc.
              This.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
                You do your best with what you have. If you don't have a completely appropriate suit you wear the darkest, most formal but not dressy suit you have. If you're reaching an age where funerals/memorial services are not a rare thing, you look into buying an suit that really fits - like dark gray. But if not, you dress respectfully in navy or mid gray or something, with a plain tie and plain shirt, show up and don't worry too much about it.


                This.
                Well, sure. But my question was really, "If you own both a dark grey/charcoal suit and a dark blue/navy suit, under what circumstances or at what types of funeral would you choose to wear the navy rather than the charcoal at a funeral?" I own both a navy suit and a charcoal one (and a mid gray one). If I were to go to a funeral, I'd be far most comfortable in the charcoal unless I knew something particular about the family of the bereaved that suggested they wanted a less somber ceremony or wake.

                Comment


                  #9
                  If you had both navy and charcoal, I'd go charcoal.

                  However, the point of the post is contained in the first sentence: You do the best with what you have.

                  If it's a judgment call, as noted, pick the darkest suit you have.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                    Well, sure. But my question was really, "If you own both a dark grey/charcoal suit and a dark blue/navy suit, under what circumstances or at what types of funeral would you choose to wear the navy rather than the charcoal at a funeral?" I own both a navy suit and a charcoal one (and a mid gray one). If I were to go to a funeral, I'd be far most comfortable in the charcoal unless I knew something particular about the family of the bereaved that suggested they wanted a less somber ceremony or wake.
                    Either suit would be fine. I've been to a number of memorials/funerals recently (the price of getting older) and very much doubt that people at them are very judgmental about what others are wearing as long as it's not way off.
                    Last edited by JT10000; January 5, 2016, 04:59 AM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I totally agree. You'll see people in far less appropriate attire than a shadow stripe suit. I think it will be great for a funeral. Very respectful. In these situations you are dressing for others, and I doubt anyone will look at you twice at a funeral with your suggested attire.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                        Well, sure. But my question was really, "If you own both a dark grey/charcoal suit and a dark blue/navy suit, under what circumstances or at what types of funeral would you choose to wear the navy rather than the charcoal at a funeral?" I own both a navy suit and a charcoal one (and a mid gray one). If I were to go to a funeral, I'd be far most comfortable in the charcoal unless I knew something particular about the family of the bereaved that suggested they wanted a less somber ceremony or wake.
                        If you have navy and charcoal, I'd say 99.9% of the time, you should wear your charcoal if it's available to wear. I can't think of a reasonably likely scenario where both color suits are ready to wear and the navy would be more suitable than the charcoal for a funeral.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                          If you have navy and charcoal, I'd say 99.9% of the time, you should wear your charcoal if it's available to wear. I can't think of a reasonably likely scenario where both color suits are ready to wear and the navy would be more suitable than the charcoal for a funeral.
                          Here's one for you. Don't want to hijack the thread with a theoretical question, but I have both dark navy and charcoal. My navy suit is more traditionally styled (notch lapels, worsted wool, etc.). My charcoal however has peak lapels, a ticket pocket and the wool has a herringbone pattern. Which would you wear?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
                            Here's one for you. Don't want to hijack the thread with a theoretical question, but I have both dark navy and charcoal. My navy suit is more traditionally styled (notch lapels, worsted wool, etc.). My charcoal however has peak lapels, a ticket pocket and the wool has a herringbone pattern. Which would you wear?
                            This is an easy one. The navy for sure. You don't want to walk into a funeral looking like Tom Ford. Also, if navy is a solid and charcoal is a check, go navy. Honestly, I would go with whichever is darker. If the navy is darker than the charcoal, I would choose navy.
                            My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
                              Here's one for you. Don't want to hijack the thread with a theoretical question, but I have both dark navy and charcoal. My navy suit is more traditionally styled (notch lapels, worsted wool, etc.). My charcoal however has peak lapels, a ticket pocket and the wool has a herringbone pattern. Which would you wear?
                              Navy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X