SuitSupply vs Oliver Wicks vs Spier and Mackay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does SS win out because they have physical locations in some major cities? I am learning more about each one as I continue to browse these discussions. I would feel very comfortable going into a physical location and would probably pick SS over some others because of that reason. But if the quality is better with the other ones, then I would venture out to order online. Are they all on the same plane as far as quality? I am a plug and play kind of guy and would like to buy from one place but if one has better suits over ties or pocket squares, I will go where the best deal is and the best quality can be found.

I have no idea what Oliver Wicks is.

For basics (and increasingly, patterns) and value, Spier wins out in a landslide. If you prefer to go to a physical location, then go to a physical location, it's that simple. But know that the internet holds a lot of options for you if you're comfortable with that. For someone who wants a greater variety of fits, styles, and fabrics, SS > Spier, but that's not really where Spier is trying to compete right now - they're much smaller and younger.

Comment

Oliver Wicks was formerly The Dragon Inside. It's online MTM, which is always a gamble on multiple levels. If you want plug and play, go with Suitsupply, especially if you live near a brick and mortar store.
      Last edited by theplayerking; January 2, 2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Haven't tried a SS suit but perusing various forums I would say its safe to say that SS and S&M are broadly comparable. However, since the most affordable suit from SS is their $399 Napoli which comes with some very trim pants that don't work for everyone I'd say S&M is the best value suit. There prices are going up VERY soon due to the high variance in CAD vs USD. However, I suspect that even after the price hike they will still be the value leader as right now their not on sale suits are $448 CAD which is roughly $325 USD.

Comment

The only caveat to that is the free shipping/free returns with SuSu, versus paying quite a bit to ship something to Canada (cost me $50). For me the risk for a suit is too high, but if you have your proper dimensions down, then the risk may be minimal to others.

Comment

By directly comparing SuSu and S&M, I can say the dimensions each list show the differences accurately.

If you know what will fit you in one, then you can tell quite closely of the other will fit (though you might have to compare differing sizes).

Comment

I am waiting on some SM custom shirts, I bought 5 on black friday but haven't received them yet. I will order a suit or two from them when they start offering long sizing. I have 2 shirts and 2 suits from SS and everything fits perfectly. I took advantage of free shipping and returns, I ordered 5 suits from SS and sent back 4 and they didn't bat an eye. It's like Galco said, get your measurements down and don't depend on sizes. Looks like I would probably have to size up from a 42 to a 44 in SM because their shoulders look narrower.

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
                The only caveat to that is the free shipping/free returns with SuSu, versus paying quite a bit to ship something to Canada (cost me $50). For me the risk for a suit is too high, but if you have your proper dimensions down, then the risk may be minimal to others.
                This is why I've stayed away from S&M. There stuff looks great but not worth the risk in shipping returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
                  I am waiting on some SM custom shirts, I bought 5 on black friday but haven't received them yet. I will order a suit or two from them when they start offering long sizing. I have 2 shirts and 2 suits from SS and everything fits perfectly. I took advantage of free shipping and returns, I ordered 5 suits from SS and sent back 4 and they didn't bat an eye. It's like Galco said, get your measurements down and don't depend on sizes. Looks like I would probably have to size up from a 42 to a 44 in SM because their shoulders look narrower.
                  I wear a 44s in napoli. The contemporary 44 in SM was comically large everywhere, including shoulders, chest and waist (I expected it to be larger in length and sleeves). Shoulder fit, at least in my case, is affected on top of shoulder width by shoulder structure and padding, as well as armhole and proximal arm width. This makes trying on a jacket in person invaluable, so free returns is a must for me.

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
                    I wear a 44s in napoli. The contemporary 44 in SM was comically large everywhere, including shoulders, chest and waist (I expected it to be larger in length and sleeves). Shoulder fit, at least in my case, is affected on top of shoulder width by shoulder structure and padding, as well as armhole and proximal arm width. This makes trying on a jacket in person invaluable, so free returns is a must for me.
                    That's strange that it was larger than the napoli. Do you mind PM me the order#, I want shipping to check the suit it see if the size specs were correct. The chest and shoulders are nearly an inch smaller size to size on our jackets compared to the Napoli.

Comment

Literally should not be bigger than the Napoli. That's so odd.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                        This is why I've stayed away from S&M. There stuff looks great but not worth the risk in shipping returns.
                        We're working with a 3rd party shipper to start picking up returns from the USA. Should be in place by the time the SS stuff hits. We'll trying to offer free returns on your first suit purchase so you have the opportunity to lock down sizing. Hopefully this alleviates the risk somewhat and give folks the opportunity to give us a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                          Literally should not be bigger than the Napoli. That's so odd.
                          I thought so too and ordered based on dimensions and forum reviews. I get how difficult it must be to offer free returns to Canada but it's hard for me to go down than path again. I am waiting for a bunch of shirts which I think have much lower risk (as long as the collars fit well - and the SM collars are awesome -.everything else can be figured out).

Comment

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
                            We're working with a 3rd party shipper to start picking up returns from the USA. Should be in place by the time the SS stuff hits. We'll trying to offer free returns on your first suit purchase so you have the opportunity to lock down sizing. Hopefully this alleviates the risk somewhat and give folks the opportunity to give us a shot.
                            This is a great move and I'll be picking up a suit shortly from you all then!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                              Talk to their customer service. I was unsure of which way to go with sizing for suit pants. Their customer service rep did a great job answering question. When I got my suit, it fit spot on. The only thing I had to do was have the pants hemmed. If you know your measurements, they can help you out so that exchanges aren't an issue. If you don't own a tape measure, I would highly recommend picking one up, it will make online ordering a lot easier for you. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X