Allen Edmonds' bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SWong37 View Post
    I grabbed bourbon dalton seconds for $159 that I'm happy with. I still see them pop up on shoe bank though.

So bourbon has had a troubled history with AE?
    Yeah, I have the Dalton in bourbon, too. I'd been considering a shoe - [MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION], I found all of the McAllister, Cornwallis, and Carlyle tempting, and would have found the Strand, too, if I didn't have it in walnut - but didn't pick one up. $295 still seems a bit much to me. Yes, there are a few pairs on the Shoebank, but not that many. Some posters recommend not buying bourbon seconds, because the defect is sometimes inconsistent application of the burnishing, and so the shoe looks like it has tiger stripes or there is a greenish hue to it that some don't like. I personally don't mind the greenish hue, but wouldn't want a striped pair. Still, some say the same about oxblood, but I have a pair of oxblood seconds and a pair of bourbon seconds and am happy with them both.

[AE makes/made bourbon shoes by taking a walnut upper and burnishing it on a black burnishing wheel. Some pairs thus seemed very much like a darker version of walnut, while others were much closer to being a true medium-brown, rather than a dark tan].

Comment

In regards to the difference between Walnut and Bourbon: Bourbon Strands and Walnut Bartletts

Different enough for me.
      You can never have enough shoes

Comment

I was very tempted to plunk down some hard earned cash for a pair of bourbon Daltons or McAllisters during the sale. Never did pull the trigger but found myself going back to the website over and over again. Definitely a fan of the colour.

Comment

Given that you also buy Edward Green and are now looking into John Lobb, I think it's fair to say that you've more disposable income than I do! So, in your case they definitely are different enough. I have to limit my collection a little more, even though in theory I agree with you that it's impossible to have too many shoes.

I think that your bourbon is a relatively dark bourbon, though - some are a bit closer to walnut. To be clear, I would get fairly similar shoes: I do own both a merlot McAllister and an oxblood McGregor. Despite owning a walnut Strand, I would get a brown Strand or a bourbon McAllister. But I just think that adjacent colors on the same model (or upgraded version of the same model, as in the case of the Bartlett) is a bit too much given the constraints of my budget.

Originally posted by MNJ83 View Post
          In regards to the difference between Walnut and Bourbon: Bourbon Strands and Walnut Bartletts

Different enough for me.

Comment

Dat Bourbon doe.....

20160513_191807 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Bourbon was certainly a great color for AE.

The new red, green, and blue options on the Cornwallis? Not so much.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/me...sz=18&start=22

Not quite sure why they sell the Cornwallis in two shades of blue and one non-burgundy/mahogany [merlot/oxblood/chili] shade of red but not in medium-brown [bourbon], but there you go.

(Blue's also on the Strand - also available in navy - and St. John).

Comment

The cornwallis *WAS* part of the most recent bourbon offering. It's not a year-round thing, so you have to jump on it when it comes around (or wait a little bit for returns to hit shoebank).

The red and green aren't my cup, but the blue I kinda dig. I have a rather eclectic collection at this point though so the less-standard stuff intrigues me more.
                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I know they did recently have a bourbon Cornwallis available. It's just too bad that they keep taking bourbon out of circulation. If they bring it back again, I'll get a bourbon Cornwallis/McAllister/Carlyle at some point.

Of the three new colors, I actually like the green the most. But I own an olive Neumok, and I don't think I need two green shoes.

I also think that those bright colors are weird on as formal a shoe as the Cornwallis, and would work better on something like the McTavish or St. John. I know that the walnut Cornwallis is very popular, but although posters often say walnut is too loud to wear with dark suits, and they're probably right, it remains the case that tan is within the mainstream color range for dress shoes, whereas blue, green, and red are not (at least not that shade of red).

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                  The cornwallis *WAS* part of the most recent bourbon offering. It's not a year-round thing, so you have to jump on it when it comes around (or wait a little bit for returns to hit shoebank).

The red and green aren't my cup, but the blue I kinda dig. I have a rather eclectic collection at this point though so the less-standard stuff intrigues me more.

Comment

Working...
                  X