Allen Edmonds' bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by napaxton View Post
    Does anyone think that bourbon looks a little green? I've been to the local AE, as well as the S. Carolina outlet recently, and I can't get over a feeling that there's a little green there…
    A little bit. I had seen it mentioned online before and never believed it, but I went into a Johnston & Murphy looking for a close enough matching belt (I ended up getting an AE seconds belt), and the store clerk asked where I got those greenish-brown shoes. I guess certain light does it.

Comment

Originally posted by napaxton View Post
      Does anyone think that bourbon looks a little green? I've been to the local AE, as well as the S. Carolina outlet recently, and I can't get over a feeling that there's a little green there…

I'm trying to decide on a color for some Daltons. The staff in SC indicated that Walnut and Chocolate Brown would be having a seconds sale later this month.
      How similar is the "chocolate brown" on the Dalton to the "burnished brown" or "dark brown" on the dress shoes?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
        A little bit. I had seen it mentioned online before and never believed it, but I went into a Johnston & Murphy looking for a close enough matching belt (I ended up getting an AE seconds belt), and the store clerk asked where I got those greenish-brown shoes. I guess certain light does it.

How much does it bother you? So far as I can see, most non-black dress shoes are going to have subsidiary hues that aren't the same color as the base color that predominates on the hue. For example:

AE walnut - light brown with orange hue.
        AE chili - darkish brown with red hue.
        AE brown - very dark brown with black hue.

But it's not just AE: Loake's tan, for example, is a light brown with a yellow hue (it's even lighter than AE's walnut).

Comment

Funny, I've been looking recently for a belt to match my AE bourbon Lexingtons. Did you come across anything that was close before going with the AE belt? I have a hard time spending $70 (much less $100) on a belt that I won't even wear that often.

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
            How much does it bother you?
            It doesn't bother me at all, and I think the olive only comes out under artificial light. In natural light, the walnut base really shines through:

Sunlit shot:

Bourbon is walnut+black from what I've read.

Originally posted by Dixon01 View Post
            Funny, I've been looking recently for a belt to match my AE bourbon Lexingtons. Did you come across anything that was close before going with the AE belt? I have a hard time spending $70 (much less $100) on a belt that I won't even wear that often.
            I searched far and wide and came up with nothing. Even my Nordstrom Rack, at the 2nd largest mall in the US, had a paltry belt selection. The Manistee seconds belt was $49 plus $5 for shipping. Totally worth it, and the only flaw I could find is that the belt is ever so slightly darker than the shoes. Everything I have read suggests that the Dearborn is not quite the same Bourbon as the shoes, so I would go with the Manistee.

Comment

How similar is the "chocolate brown" on the Dalton to the "burnished brown" or "dark brown" on the dress shoes?
              A bit different. To my eye, a little shinier, and deeper in color. Actually looks like a decent quality chocolate bar.

Comment

Yes, bourbon is a walnut shoe that has been darkened by black burnishing. That's why some people criticized AE for not having a "medium brown" in which the color was dyed into the leather as medium brown but, rather, was a light brown that was then darkened. Loake's brown (i.e. medium brown - darker than "tan", lighter than "dark brown") is not produced by burnishing. I suspect that the reason AE has stopped selling bourbon is not just, as they said on Ask Andy, to focus on the other colors, but also to try to develop a medium brown that is achieved by dye.

Your bourbon Strand looks good. In that light, it doesn't look different enough from my walnut Strand to warrant a second Strand, even on closeout. I've seen photos in which bourbon looks much darker than that. I'm thinking of picking up a bourbon Dalton, McAllister, or McGregor, but I'm going to wait a while. They may sell out soonish on the main site, but I think they'll be popping up on the Shoebank for quite some time.

It doesn't bother me at all, and I think the olive only comes out under artificial light. In natural light, the walnut base really shines through:

Sunlit shot:

Bourbon is walnut+black from what I've read.

I searched far and wide and came up with nothing. Even my Nordstrom Rack, at the 2nd largest mall in the US, had a paltry belt selection. The Manistee seconds belt was $49 plus $5 for shipping. Totally worth it, and the only flaw I could find is that the belt is ever so slightly darker than the shoes. Everything I have read suggests that the Dearborn is not quite the same Bourbon as the shoes, so I would go with the Manistee.

Comment

Your bourbon Strand looks good. In that light, it doesn't look different enough from my walnut Strand to warrant a second Strand, even on closeout. I've seen photos in which bourbon looks much darker than that. I'm thinking of picking up a bourbon Dalton, McAllister, or McGregor, but I'm going to wait a while. They may sell out soonish on the main site, but I think they'll be popping up on the Shoebank for quite some time.
                  I agree, they typically look much darker than that. I would get another pair if I were you, but like you said, maybe not another Strand. I'm very tempted to get a pair of bourbon McGregors for everyday wear, but black Park Aves are higher on the list for now.

I'll warn you that I have had to send back Bourbon seconds before because each shoe was a slightly different shade, even though they appeared to match in the picture the rep sent. It's all part of the seconds game, as I'm sure you know.

Comment

Yeah, good point about the seconds. I believe that bourbon seconds can be especially risky. I'll keep an eye on bourbon firsts and see how I feel when they start to run out. I imagine even that is several weeks away.

Dalton is probably the most useful for me, as I currently don't own a dress boot. I'll also consider a bourbon Carlyle, but I believe that bourbon didn't work as well with plain shoes as with brogues.

(Also, isn't it that case that at a certain point in the closeout process, they move all shoes to the Shoebank, so that you can get closeout firsts from there? I picked up a pair of brown Kenilworths from the Shoebank in October that I could swear are firsts. But perhaps I'm wrong).

I agree, they typically look much darker than that. I would get another pair if I were you, but like you said, maybe not another Strand. I'm very tempted to get a pair of bourbon McGregors for everyday wear, but black Park Aves are higher on the list for now.

I'll warn you that I have had to send back Bourbon seconds before because each shoe was a slightly different shade, even though they appeared to match in the picture the rep sent. It's all part of the seconds game, as I'm sure you know.

Comment

Bourbon is my favorite color by AE, honestly. But, even with firsts, there's really no guarantee that the burnishing is going to be uniform. My Daltons are a prime example, as there's a large dark patch on the vamp of the left boot that's not present on the right. Doesn't bother me, as I think that certain cosmetic irregularities like that add "character." If you need everything to be uniform, Bourbon may be an OCD nightmare for you. That said, the pair of Bourbon seconds I have (Randolphs) look fine and I really couldn't find the error on them for months until I was cleaning and polishing them (ended up being a slight mis-stitch on the vamp). And none of my shoes look green, so that's strange.

Comment

I'm totally down with the splotchy character, but one shoe was noticeably darker than the other, even from across the room. And I'm OCD haha

Here's a good example of "green" bourbon from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmond...EAAOSwFnFWET4e

It's all down to lighting and photography. I very very rarely notice the green tint in person.

Not sure about closeout firsts at the shoebank.

Comment

After a brief revival of bourbon, it looks as though AE has taken all of its bourbon shoes off the website again. They're not even available on clearance, which surprises me. I guess they were effectively making them as requested on a sort of MTO basis. (There didn't seem to be many popping up on the Shoebank).

So long again, bourbon. At least until next time. At which point it will hopefully be a dyed rather than burnished bourbon that's a more reliable mid-brown without the danger of tiger striping, looking too green, or looking too much like walnut.

Comment

Managed to get through the bourbon sale period without buying anything, although the mcallisters were tempting
                            Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I grabbed bourbon dalton seconds for $159 that I'm happy with. I still see them pop up on shoe bank though.

So bourbon has had a troubled history with AE?

Comment

Originally posted by SWong37 View Post
                                I grabbed bourbon dalton seconds for $159 that I'm happy with. I still see them pop up on shoe bank though.

So bourbon has had a troubled history with AE?
                                I believe there have been some issues with inconsistent coloring, from what I understand their bourbon is just burnished walnut which I think is the root cause. I have seen "bourbon" Allen Edmonds that range anywhere from barely darker than Walnut to almost a mid-brown. There have also been some issues with the burnishing process creating some "tiger stripes" or "splotches" of darker coloring. Then there were some batches that seemed to have a greenish tint to them. I know a lot of people who are really happy with AE bourbon shoes, but I think the inconsistencies and above issues have turned some folks off to the "color". If I had any need for another lighter brown shoe I would have no problem getting a pair.

Comment

Working...
                                X