Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather shoe repair (small tear in Allen Edmonds Park Avenues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather shoe repair (small tear in Allen Edmonds Park Avenues)

Hi everyone,

I purchased a gently worn pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. There is a small tear in the leather along the crease that runs across the toe of the shoe. I have attached pics below.

Any thoughts on the best way to repair or minimize damage at least? I know there are some Do-It-Yourself kits out there, but have no idea what works and what is good. I probably wouldn't pay too much to have a cobbler repair (as the shoes were pretty cheap to begin with), but want to know my options at this point.

I guess while I have this thread open also, do you guys have any tips/products that work well with disinfecting used shoes, as well as polishing/maintaining the outside leather? Also - the side of the leather soles is browning a bit (fading from black) - any solutions to this?

Sheesh lots of questions - any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

A good cobbler should be able to fix that fairly easily and cheaply, but it might be a repair you need to revisit occasionally.

You can hit the brown parts with edge dressing. Or polish. Or you can pay an extra $5 and the cobbler should shine the uppers and put on the edge dressing for you while you get the rip repaired.

Comment

Can't help you on the leather tear, sorry.

Regarding disinfecting: After doing a preliminary Google search when I wanted to remove the smell from a used pair of shoes that I bought, I ended up blasting the inside with Lysol spray. Yes, more than once over time. I sprayed lightly, not saturating it but the stuff dries pretty quickly. I was concerned that I might do some damage to the inside with whatever chemicals are in there, but the shoes are old, the insoles rock hard (read: not that comfortable), I didn't want my feet smelling like the inside, and I got them for $35 so I didn't care.

I heard some positive comments for Kiwi Foot Freshener, but it may be more of a temporary spray once before use once a day type of thing. I bought it at Nordstrom Rack for $4.50, but haven't used it yet.

Regarding maintenance: you could do like a lot of people have done and read the gobs and gobs of posts on this thread on StyleForum: http://new.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

After going through most of those, reading comments on various other shoe care threads on Dappered Threads, and watching videos on YouTube, here's the most basic I've come up with for myself at the moment. Keep in mind that I just polished my first pair of shoes a few days ago and have done three total since then so I'm definitely not experienced in techniques and products.

1. Buffing cloths: old t-shirts, old socks, or microfiber cloths (purchasable at Walmart, Target, auto stores, or my personal favorite: dollar stores)

2. Leather conditioner: Allen Edmonds should be fine (which is a leather cleaner as well). Lexol (obtainable at auto stores). Or if you have rich blood, Saphir Renovateur.

2b. Not sure where leather cleaners fit into this...

3. Polish: Allen Edmonds premium polish (it's a wax and cream combination). Carried by Nordstrom usually ($9). Or Kiwi if you're not particular. Or Meltonian cream. There's a difference between straight wax polish and creme: the former protects more and buffs to a greater shine, the latter moisturizes more. Both add color.

4. A horsehair buffing brush. $12 for an 8" brush on eBay or Nordstrom. Some people just use cloths, but what the heck, why not use a brush if you can spare $12

Basic process:

1. Wipe down with a damp cloth to remove dirt and let dry.

2. Apply leather conditioner. Seriously just use your bare hands like you're putting on lotion. Cloths absorb the conditioner. You don't have to use as much as you think, you'll see. Wipe off any excess or just let it dry completely and then buff with the horsehair brush.

3. Apply a thin layer of polish. Additional thinner layers are better than one massive thick layer. Honestly I still need to get a feel of how much polish to put on. I was working in not-so-great artificial light and it seemed like I wasn't applying enough polish and even when I buffed it it didn't look shiny, but when I stepped outside, BAM!

4. Buff with a microfiber cloth which also removes excess polish.

5. Buff with a horsehair brush.

The pros I'm sure will chime in with better techniques and advice.

I saw these videos beforehand, but now that I've given it a go, I have a much better idea of what's going on:

Shoe Shine Like a Boss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrzNkhJsJm8

Best Shoe Shine Ever (well, maybe not, but that's how it's titled): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdb1x2vQ2Z0

Comment

I just tried the Lysol spray and it stained the leather insole of my shoe. I just used a little bit so it's not that bad, but still - this won't be an option for me. I may try Lysol wipes next, but I don't feel like that gets enough coverage.

Comment

Freezer?

Comment

Working...
          X