Too Soon for Summer Suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Soon for Summer Suit?

I don't about the weather for where you guys live but here in NYC, it's supposed to be 70s on Friday and I have an event that requires business attire. Do you guys think it's too soon to where a chino/khaki suit for that event? Is there any rule of thumb as to when to wear a summer suit, ie, from Memorial Day to Labor Day or something like that?

For a wedding I'd say go for it, but for business attire in March in NYC I'd say stick to your go-to wool suit.

Comment

I wore a linen/cotton blend blazer today, and I'm going to wear a khaki cotton blazer tomorrow. summer weather has certainly arrived already in NYC.

I don't know how formal your event is, but I say if the sun is shining go for the lighter suit.

Comment

I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm going to guess that given that a chino suit would be considered suitable, like, ever in your industry leads me to believe it would probably be okay for you to wear on a warm-ish Friday in March.

Though, to be honest, I'm having trouble imagining in what industry an event would be conservative enough to actually require a suit that would also be liberal enough that a chino suit wouldn't get laughed at.

In the end, if you know a chino suit would be a business appropriate option, then you shouldn't let any dogmatic sartorial rules dissuade you from wearing one.

Comment

I'm with @TheMe, I'd stick with a conservative suit this early on. If it's a midday, outdoor type of event, maybe you can go with the khaki, so long as you're comfortable that it'd be considered appropriate for the event.

Comment

I agree with others. Go with a wool suit.

Comment

Oops. I should mention it's not a work related event. It is a cocktail party hosted by some watch company.

Comment

If it's a casual event, then wear whatever the weather allows, but cocktail parties are IMO dressier than a cotton suit. At the very least, I'd want a dark suit, regardless of material. SF suggests black if you've got it.

Comment

Khaki suits are not under the same restrictions as white shoes/seersucker (Memorial Day until Labor Day). It is perfectly all right to wear Khaki suits whenever the weather is fitting.

Evening functions generally suggest darker wear; but, frankly, that is rarely conformed to these days.

Comment

Oh please... A coctail party hosted by a watch company for potential customers? Wear whatever you like. If you wear any kind of suit you'll probably be the only one who's not a salesman for the company.

Comment

I didn't read it as a customer event, but that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X