Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durable Socks

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some dress socks recommendations. I believe merino wool socks have been suggested a couple times and are nice enough to wear year round (summer-winter)? Do you guys have any specific suggestions/brands/links that you can recommend? I've been only buying cheap socks from J.crew, BR, etc. and they all start to rip at the toes so I"m looking for something that's durable and will last me a while.

I know Joe has recommended these from Nordstrom, anyone have any experience? Something along this price range would be good. 3 pairs for $35.
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstro...resultback=570

Thanks,
    Jon

Those Nordstrom socks are worth every penny. They always stay up, don't fade, look good, and I'm on at least 30 washes on mine.

Comment

Nordstrom also has the Lorenzo Uomo merino wool blend socks which are pretty good. Their cotton socks aren't bad either if you are not into washing your socks in the sink.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
        Their cotton socks aren't bad either if you are not into washing your socks in the sink.
        Is that in reference to the Nordstrom wool socks? I own a bunch of pairs and have always cleaned in the washing machine and tumble dryed... no issues with them to date. They really are fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrown View Post
          Is that in reference to the Nordstrom wool socks? I own a bunch of pairs and have always cleaned in the washing machine and tumble dryed... no issues with them to date. They really are fantastic.
          It depends on the label. The Nordstrom ones are gentle cycle, yes?

Hand washing is pretty easy in any case. It's not like you have to wash merino wool socks all the time.

Edit: I would also add that even if the label says gentle cycle, this is probably just from the chemical treatment. The wool will still eventually suffer worse than had it just been hand washed anyway.

Comment

i've had really really good luck with a lot of the GOLDTOE brand socks.

and I have enormous calves, i destroy them socks quite easily. i have some that are stretchy still after 7 years maybe.

Comment

I have the Nordstrom socks listed above and they are really nice. But for about the same price, you can get Pantherella OTC Socks from sierratradingpost.com if you use one of their usual 30% off coupons.

I ordered three of the Nordstrom and three of the Pantherella. Overall, I like the Pantherella socks better most of the time, but the Nordstrom version is a little thicker and works better when I wear my dress boots.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like the Nordstrom socks I linked are a solid choice. Appreciate your feedback

Comment

What is a while to you? Personally for something like socks, I'd rather pick some up at Marshalls or TJ Maxx that are cheap enough to get rid of and new ones. Due to the rigor and potential smells that socks can have I don't need any that last more than a couple years. I love happy socks style and quality. I've had a couple pairs in the year+ mark and they hold up great.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                    What is a while to you? Personally for something like socks, I'd rather pick some up at Marshalls or TJ Maxx that are cheap enough to get rid of and new ones. Due to the rigor and potential smells that socks can have I don't need any that last more than a couple years. I love happy socks style and quality. I've had a couple pairs in the year+ mark and they hold up great.
                    A couple years is definitely long enough. Some of the pairs that I bought from J.Crew ripped at the toes on the first wear... Maybe I just have really pointy toes because all the tears are at the toes haha. I've never had a problem with wearing out the heels.

Comment

Originally posted by jyii07 View Post
                      Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like the Nordstrom socks I linked are a solid choice. Appreciate your feedback
                      One final thought about the socks. The Nordstrom socks, due to the fact that they are a thicker sock than Pantherella, tend to become slightly "fuzzy" and then wool pants will stick to them a little. I do not have that problem with the Pantherella socks.

Comment

Durable Socks

Darn Tough markets themselves to hikers and stuff, but they are pure wool and have a lifetime guarantee. If they die, you get more for free, no questions asked. They have some good basic colors, too. Love 'em.

Comment

[MENTION=12858]Nleaders[/MENTION] +1 on Darn Tough

I tend to reach for lightweight summer hiking socks over dress socks pretty much 100% of the time.
                          Speaking of which, I ought to toss all those dress socks and free up some space.

Comment

Boardroom Socks for dress: http://boardroomsocks.com/ - mid or over the calf, and styles are expanding
                            Fox River Socks for other: https://www.foxsox.com/catalog/shoponline.aspx - all manner of socks, including some suitable for dress, though the site is difficult to navigate.

I have a couple pairs of Darn Tough Socks for hiking and they are amazing, and comparable in price to smartwool, which are made I know not where.

Comment

Working...
                            X