Going beltless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going beltless

What are everyone's thoughts on going beltless?

I only ask because I've seen it a lot recently, and it looks really good. And I believe Daniel Craig sports the look in spectre..... (when they go to the desert) but I can't be positive until it comes out on dvd. I don't know what about it appeals to me, but something about it always catches my attention. Maybe because everything must fit very well for it to work? It just looks really good when I see people pulling it off.

Joe discussed it a few years back

http://dappered.com/2011/08/style-de...t-or-beltless/

But most people in the comments are fairly against it. Most argue that it makes you look unfinished or there isn't a visual break between your torso and legs.

So I was wondering how everyone feels about it now, or is the general consensus still the same?

Had a couple coworkers that did it as they were usually fashionable but the office talk made it seem they forgot the belt.

I think it works for going out and guys that are slim to very slim. Don't think it works at formal work environments.

Comment

If my trousers have belt loops, I wear a belt.

Comment

If you have side tabs, I think it works well. Also if you have suspenders, that works probably better than a belt but I am assuming this is not the OP question. If none of the above is in place, then beltless looks weird unless you are dressed very casually (i.e. fitted jeans, t-shirt and canvas shoes - although I would wear a belt in this setting as well).

Comment

I don't wear a belt with a suit. My pants fit, a belt is not necessary. It is also much more comfortable as the belt is a highly flawed way to keep pants up. It also creates a longer, sleeker look that is not broken up at the waist by the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyum View Post
            I don't wear a belt with a suit. My pants fit, a belt is not necessary. It is also much more comfortable as the belt is a highly flawed way to keep pants up. It also creates a longer, sleeker look that is not broken up at the waist by the belt.
            i'd agree with you if the pants don't have loops. if they have loops, it looks like you just forgot the belt

i always wear a belt...

if anything, it allows me to match my leathers so i look just a tad bit more polished

Comment

I do with with casual pants like chinos and jeans all the time. Especially if it's a warmer day, and I'm just wearing a t shirt or another un-tucked shirt. My go to summer evening outfit is a t shirt, chinos, no belt and no socks.

However, if I'm tucking in my shirt and my belt has loops, I'll wear a belt.

Comment

i have never liked this look, but I know some people can pull it off sometimes.

I think in this world where people can't even remember collar stays with their flying-around dress shirt points, it's hard to do this and look savvy. I say unless you really nail it, it mostly looks like you forgot a belt.

I think when hotter days come by, I often switch up to a canvas belt for a clean look, or with the occasional pair of shorts. I have a couple of inexpensive ones I can usually coordinate to my outfits.

Comment

Eventually, I want to only have dress pants with side tab adjusters for this very reason. I don't like belts, but think pants with loops look weird without them.

Comment

All my formal pants have belt loops, hence all my suits are paired with belts.

I've tried skipping the belt, but it just looks "off".

Comment

Yup guys, I was mostly referring to suit attire. Casual clothes don't really need a belt unless your pants are falling down or you're tucking in your shirt.

Looking at a few pictures Joe posted to support the beltless look....

This picture shows how beltless looks really nice: http://stylistry.tumblr.com/post/4018711080

If I'm remembering correctly maybe most times I notice the no belt, it is with a grey suit? I know Daniel Craig was sporting a grey suit where I think he was beltless in the desert scene.

Tom Cruise pulling the beltless also in a grey suit: http://blog.suitupp.com/wp-content/u...tom_cruise.jpg

Just kidding, a non grey suit: http://dontdrinkfromthecarton.tumblr...y-personally-i

What [MENTION=14265]Billyum[/MENTION] said about no belt creating a longer, sleeker look makes a lot of sense to me. I know Tom Cruise is pretty short so the beltless works well for him.

I was also thinking it could be that the pants have to fit really well, thus very possible the suit is tailored, for someone to go beltless.

And the only other reasoning I can come up with at the moment as to why it appeals so much to me comes from my recent reading of "Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion" by Alan Flusser (only read the first few chapters so far but think it's a real solid read). The book essentially explains that our clothes are there to frame our face. Whether it be sizing, colors, patterns, etc. Thus, with these lighter colored suits, I can see if you had a dark colored belt, it would pull attention away from your face.

I think when I see the beltless look, I notice it looks good, but I can't tell why until I suddenly notice they don't have a belt.

With belt loop pants...... I can really see how it looks like someone just forgot their belt, so I guess that means I need to get some pants with side tabs!

Comment

are there OTR suit sellers that have beltless suits? or is that a tailor only kind of thang?

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                          are there OTR suit sellers that have beltless suits? or is that a tailor only kind of thang?
                          High-end Suitsupply. The La Spalla:

and the Jort:

Comment

[MENTION=14298]theplayerking[/MENTION] oooh, that Jort suit is a stunner. It's just been added to the wishlist of stuff I would love but can't afford (at least not with my salary).

Comment

This is pretty interesting, not sure if it has been passed around here before.
                              http://freakonomics.com/2015/09/24/h...radio-episode/

I almost never wear a belt- I find them uncomfortable, annoying and usually unnecessary. Most people don't notice. I have one friend who always argues with me about it, but that's just because it upsets him that I would dare to dress nicely and refuse to wear a belt. This only makes me skip the belt even more out of spite.

Comment

Working...
                              X