Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xiolar
    replied
    I apologize for bumping this old thread, but I would like to share my experience in this matter, since when I was looking for good advice on this topic for myself.
    You cannot have a beard without using oils/balms (and regular brushing). I use a mixture from a small local coiffure who have been making them at home for the past 100 years or so. I went to several till I found out what suited me best, for example, I used a more rigid one once and it felt like I was carrying a cement replica on my beard, or one was too wet and it curled up my beard.

If I use an electric razor by Philips it quickly jams due to its attempted extraction of scraggly beard hairs.

Been using scissors for a couple of years now. Can also be combined with a cheap plastic comb so you can better judge the length that you are taking off.

The only downside with this approach is that it creates a lot of mess, which earns me a serious scolding from the wife if I don’t clean up after myself properly (in woman speak, that means your best efforts have been ignored and there is one tiny shaving left behind in the sink).
    I like watching a video on YouTube on such topics, I'll leave you one of them here, I hope it will use to someone

Leave a comment:

• theskillets
    replied
    I have been using this Gillette one for the past year. Basic but works well - http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusio.../dp/B0062IWQVU

Leave a comment:

• calidoc75
    replied
    Wahl for sure. Lithium battery is convenient, but they end up losing power after 1-2 years. If you have an outlet close to your sink, I would get a Wahl peanut. It's small, does the job better than anything else, and no worries about batteries etc.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied
    Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I got this one as well on the interweb's recommendation, and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I had a previous version of a Philips Norelco that performed better in many respects. The guard on this one bothers me a bit (sometimes it catches on hair or pinches skin) and I find that it doesn't give as even of a beard trim. Note that I keep my beard somewhat short (I use the 5mm length), which means I need a legit even trim otherwise it'll look patchy. I may try out a Wahl or similar hair trimmer to see if it turns out better, but haven't gotten around to buying one.
    Following up on this post, I got a Wahl Lithium Ion trimmer and it's pretty fantastic. I don't really need anything crazy, but it does the job well and gives a nice consistent trim.

Leave a comment:

• jankdc
    replied
    Here is a comparison review article to check out: The Best Beard Trimmer

Leave a comment:

• Alpha King
    replied
    I use a mid-range norelco that's probably 10 years old. It does the job. I have, in the past, kept my beard pretty short but this winter it's getting bushy, maybe 2 inches or so. At this point i'm mostly just cleaning it up with scissors. I'm trying to let the mustache area grow and it's pretty much the most annoying thing ever. in a few weeks it should be long enough to kinda "train" away from my mouth hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• heybwebo
    replied
    I have a cheap trimmer and I notice the guards are too long for the area directly under my nose. It bugs me to not get that section even. Am I the only one annoyed with this? Do you think one of the trimmers you guys already suggested would be better?

Leave a comment:

• sierra.alpha
    replied
    For last 15 years I have been using Wahl. First one lasted about 10 years, and this one is on its 5th. Lithium Ion version seems to be around $40 everywhere ;Made in America.
    Last edited by sierra.alpha; December 18, 2015, 11:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied
    Originally posted by Midlife crisis View Post
    I have the Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 7300, bought 6 months ago. Internet said it was the best one. I really like it. And 2.5 yr warranty
    I got this one as well on the interweb's recommendation, and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I had a previous version of a Philips Norelco that performed better in many respects. The guard on this one bothers me a bit (sometimes it catches on hair or pinches skin) and I find that it doesn't give as even of a beard trim. Note that I keep my beard somewhat short (I use the 5mm length), which means I need a legit even trim otherwise it'll look patchy. I may try out a Wahl or similar hair trimmer to see if it turns out better, but haven't gotten around to buying one.

Leave a comment:

• ianr
    replied
    The best beard trimmer for "growing out" facial hair is a good pair of stainless steel scissors and an assortment of combs.

Leave a comment:

• Midlife crisis
    replied
    I have the Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 7300, bought 6 months ago. Internet said it was the best one. I really like it. And 2.5 yr warranty

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    I'm a big fan of this Whal trimmer I bought about a year ago (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage). It's powerful enough to do the job, wireless, and has a killer battery. My favorite feature is that if it's out of juice, plugging it in for 1 minute gives you 5 minutes of trim time.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocco View Post
    I've had this since last Christmas and I like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc...el+QG3364%2F42
    I have tried various trimmers and clippers of over the years and cost/performance wise, I cant say I have found anything better than this one. They tweak it from year to year but I have purchased it more than once. "Over the years" is about 15 years of beard maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• Rocco
    replied
    Originally posted by dpark View Post
    I have one of the "multigroom" models from Philips (different model that what Rocco linked to, though). I'm not actually a huge fan. The interchangeable head pops off occasionally when adjusting the guard and none of the other attachments really get used. The interchangeable head on mine also provides a place for whiskers to gather, which adds an extra cleanup step. If I were buying again, I would buy model with a fixed head, cordless, and waterproof.
    I use the nose trimmer and the adjustable length beard trimmer. It does trap hair, but it's never been a huge deal to me. I use it once every two weeks tops so if I trimmed more regularly maybe I would spring for something nicer.

Leave a comment:

• dpark
    replied
    I have one of the "multigroom" models from Philips (different model that what Rocco linked to, though). I'm not actually a huge fan. The interchangeable head pops off occasionally when adjusting the guard and none of the other attachments really get used. The interchangeable head on mine also provides a place for whiskers to gather, which adds an extra cleanup step. If I were buying again, I would buy model with a fixed head, cordless, and waterproof.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X