Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi OT: Beard Trimmer

Gents,

Even though it feels like late spring in the South, I am growing out some facial hair for these cold winter months ahead. I don't do this often so I have never had a beard trimmer.

Do any of you have a beard trimmer that you would recommend?

I've had this since last Christmas and I like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc...el+QG3364%2F42

Comment

I just got a basic beard trimmer from Target (this model: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc.../dp/B00ARF42D4). Has an adjustable & removable guard that easily changes up or down with a rotating knob with length # settings. It's certainly not high end, but it trims my beard just fine. Granted, I do not have a long, thick beard, so it's nothing complicated to manage.

I didn't want to have to deal with a multitude of attachments, etc.

Comment

I got this in-store at Costco for $40. No complaints so far.
        Ben

Comment

Get a Wahl. They're the best quality trimmers on the market. In my life I've bought many trimmers, all different brands too. I started buying them to shave my head when I was a 17 year old punk rock kid. I've been shaving my head ever since, though for the last five years I've switched to shaving cream and a Gillete on my head and the Wahl trimmer on my face. Every brand besides Wahl died out or broke pretty quickly. I've been using my current one for about six years. Before that, I had another Wahl that was going strong for four years but I lost it in a move. Between my head or face, they were used around five times a week with no signs of wearing out.

Comment

I also think it's better to get one designed for cutting hair rather than trimming beards. They're marginally more money but they serve the same purpose with more power, so smoother cutting, less pulling, and less irritation, and come with attachments to adjust the length of the trim. Basically the same functionality but noticeably better performance and quality.

Comment

I have one of the "multigroom" models from Philips (different model that what Rocco linked to, though). I'm not actually a huge fan. The interchangeable head pops off occasionally when adjusting the guard and none of the other attachments really get used. The interchangeable head on mine also provides a place for whiskers to gather, which adds an extra cleanup step. If I were buying again, I would buy model with a fixed head, cordless, and waterproof.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                I have one of the "multigroom" models from Philips (different model that what Rocco linked to, though). I'm not actually a huge fan. The interchangeable head pops off occasionally when adjusting the guard and none of the other attachments really get used. The interchangeable head on mine also provides a place for whiskers to gather, which adds an extra cleanup step. If I were buying again, I would buy model with a fixed head, cordless, and waterproof.
                I use the nose trimmer and the adjustable length beard trimmer. It does trap hair, but it's never been a huge deal to me. I use it once every two weeks tops so if I trimmed more regularly maybe I would spring for something nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                  I've had this since last Christmas and I like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc...el+QG3364%2F42
                  I have tried various trimmers and clippers of over the years and cost/performance wise, I cant say I have found anything better than this one. They tweak it from year to year but I have purchased it more than once. "Over the years" is about 15 years of beard maintenance.

Comment

I'm a big fan of this Whal trimmer I bought about a year ago (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage). It's powerful enough to do the job, wireless, and has a killer battery. My favorite feature is that if it's out of juice, plugging it in for 1 minute gives you 5 minutes of trim time.

Comment

I have the Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 7300, bought 6 months ago. Internet said it was the best one. I really like it. And 2.5 yr warranty

Comment

The best beard trimmer for "growing out" facial hair is a good pair of stainless steel scissors and an assortment of combs.

Comment

Originally posted by Midlife crisis View Post
                          I have the Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 7300, bought 6 months ago. Internet said it was the best one. I really like it. And 2.5 yr warranty
                          I got this one as well on the interweb's recommendation, and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I had a previous version of a Philips Norelco that performed better in many respects. The guard on this one bothers me a bit (sometimes it catches on hair or pinches skin) and I find that it doesn't give as even of a beard trim. Note that I keep my beard somewhat short (I use the 5mm length), which means I need a legit even trim otherwise it'll look patchy. I may try out a Wahl or similar hair trimmer to see if it turns out better, but haven't gotten around to buying one.

Comment

For last 15 years I have been using Wahl. First one lasted about 10 years, and this one is on its 5th. Lithium Ion version seems to be around $40 everywhere ;Made in America.
                            Last edited by sierra.alpha; December 18, 2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I have a cheap trimmer and I notice the guards are too long for the area directly under my nose. It bugs me to not get that section even. Am I the only one annoyed with this? Do you think one of the trimmers you guys already suggested would be better?

Comment

Working...
                              X