Sunday Challenge - 12/27/15: Holiday Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Challenge - 12/27/15: Holiday Party

I'm fairly certain we've done this before, though I don't think we've done it this year. It's a simple and timely challenge: show us what you are wearing, will wear, have worn, or would wear to a holiday party. Tell us a little about it so we can judge the appropriateness of the getup to the occasion as well (black tie to the Sanitation District holiday kegger? You might look like James Bond on New Years Eve, but I'm probably voting for the other guy). It could be a Christmas party, a Hanukkah party, New Years Eve bash, Kwanzaa pot luck, whatever. Just look good.

Also, given that people are often traveling around this time and/or busy tying up loose ends before the end of the year, I'm preemptively making this one a two-weeker. Good luck!

The usual details:

- Challenge proposed on Tuesday or Wednesday
    - On Sunday or before, all participants dress according to challenge guidelines
    - Entries recorded Sunday night, voting begins
    - Winner declared on Tuesday evening
    - Winner is responsible for next week's theme
    thecharlesg
    21.43%
    theskillets
    78.57%

You forgot festivus party.
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Well, holy hell, I totally dropped the ball on this one. Sorry - been travelling. The good news is that it looks like everyone else did, too. So, let's extend this one another week (to this Sunday) so we can include New Year's Eve getups. Have fun and look sharp, y'all.

Comment

This was not from a Holiday party, but rather an event honoring some members of the Jewish Federation, here in LA. It did fall close to the Holiday party period and I could see myself wearing this outfit to a holiday party. I'm on the right.

Comment

This is what I wore to my company holiday party. The invite specifically requested "Cocktail Attire." Later my company sent out an email requesting "no denim" when everyone asked what Cocktail Attire was.

Suit: Suit Supply Napoli
          Shirt: Suit Supply
          Tie: Suit Supply
          Tie Bar: The Tie Bar
          Pocket Square: The Knottery
          Shoes: Velasca
          Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
            This was not from a Holiday party, but rather an event honoring some members of the Jewish Federation, here in LA. It did fall close to the Holiday party period and I could see myself wearing this outfit to a holiday party. I'm on the right.
            Curious is the longer part of the skinny part of the tie on purpose? Don't know if it has a proper name. Your looks always seem very polished so I didn't know if this is a fashion trend?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
              Curious is the longer part of the skinny part of the tie on purpose? Don't know if it has a proper name. Your looks always seem very polished so I didn't know if this is a fashion trend?
              I don't think it's a trend exactly. It's just what happens with a FIH with a normal length tie on my body. I just worry about getting the front of tie right. I suppose I could have tucked in the back.

Comment

Your tailor can knock a few inches off your ties, if they're all like that.

Comment

It's head-to-head and the poll is live! Voooooooooooote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                    Your tailor can knock a few inches off your ties, if they're all like that.
                    Don't need a tailor with ties, especially cheap ties. Measure how much to remove. Then, tie it so that it reaches the beltline correctly, pin along the neck. Lastly, cut from the pinned point and sew it back together. This way, the weird cutover point ends up under the collar even if your neck gets a little bigger.

Of course, a tailor would be better with a $200 tie.

Edit: I suppose I should warn this is not a good idea if you like to tie the same tie with full windsor and FIH, etc.

Comment

A few things I like about this:

The knot is near-perfect
                      The collars are matched nicely with the lapels, and if you had buttoned the jacket, it would be just right
                      The entire ensemble is adventurous and yet goes well together

A few things I don't like:

The blingy watch
                      The lack of any shirt cuff

And I assume the "shiny" look is from the flash and not polyester?

Anyway, you get my vote!

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post

Comment

And @theskilkets takes it decisively! Congrats and please post a new challenge theme ASAP!

Comment

Working...
                        X