Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
    [MENTION=15161]SvB_Esq[/MENTION]

I'm guessing you're a lawyer. You should check out the Berg and Berg ties. Would probably make a good impression in the courtroom.
    Yes, and thank you, I'll check them out (right now). Although, I'm a type of lawyer where, if I spend one day of my career in a courtroom, I have failed at my job.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
      Not sure what this means, but cool.
      I just mean that, in my humble opinion, Brooks Brothers is geared entirely towards older men, specifically the baby boomer generation. They of course market to younger men, they can't as a business write off entire demographics like that, and they of course use younger men to model their stuff (as do nearly all clothing companies), but to me, Brooks Brothers is what my dad would wear and nobody under 40 should dress like my dad, its gross.

Edit: Just to drive my point home a little bit, here are the pictures from their websites "influencers" page:

http://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/c...y/influencers/

Anyways, apologies for straying off topic there, back to ties.
      Last edited by SvB_Esq; February 12, 2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SvB_Esq View Post
        I just mean that, in my humble opinion, Brooks Brothers is geared entirely towards older men, specifically the baby boomer generation. They of course market to younger men, they can't as a business write off entire demographics like that, and they of course use younger men to model their stuff (as do nearly all clothing companies), but to me, Brooks Brothers is what my dad would wear and nobody under 40 should dress like my dad, its gross.

Edit: Just to drive my point home a little bit, here are the pictures from their websites "influencers" page:

http://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/c...y/influencers/

Anyways, apologies for straying off topic there, back to ties.
        Not sure what point those pics are supposed to drive home. Other than an excess of pinstripes, I don't really see anything wrong about them. If "the point" is that Brooks Brothers mostly markets to middle-aged professionals... um, so what? They also carry plenty of stuff that is age-appropriate for younger men.

I own a number of US-made slim fit Brooks Brothers shirts and two pairs of US-made Brooks Brothers shoes (Allen Edmonds and Rancourts). And I'm in my 20s.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          Not sure what point those pics are supposed to drive home. Other than an excess of pinstripes, I don't really see anything wrong about them. If "the point" is that Brooks Brothers mostly markets to middle-aged professionals... um, so what? They also carry plenty of stuff that is age-appropriate for younger men.

I own a number of US-made slim fit Brooks Brothers shirts and two pairs of US-made Brooks Brothers shoes (Allen Edmonds and Rancourts). And I'm in my 20s.
          I think the point was pretty clear that, as you stated, Brooks Brothers mostly markets to (and I would add, designs its products for), as you put it, "middle-aged" men. I would replace "middle-aged" with "old" but that's semantics. Clearly, everyone in those pics is on the wrong side of 50 (except Tirico, he's 49). Hey, if you like it, that's great. I'm confident in my assessment, so I won't. I also wouldn't drive a Buick, I don't play golf or bridge, and I don't yell at children to get off of my lawn. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with those things, they just aren't for me. The world is full of options.

Comment

Ben

Comment

Good talk.

Comment

Guess i should sell my BB ties and get some skinny ones. But i am 39, so maybe I'm old enough to rock the grandpa look.

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                  They released several grenadines. I also liked some of the shantung and bourette ones they offer too. I think they're ties are a pretty good value at retail. I haven't found anything better for less expensive, yet. I'm still working on that.
                  Back on topic: Have you tried their Grenadines? Particularly the Donegal Grenadines?

Comment

Any updates to this post? Are Berg & Berg still the best bang for the buck when it comes to ties?

Comment

I think Conrad Wu ties on sale, which are about the same price as full price Berg & Berg are of much higher quality. B&B are quite good, and a great deal when on sale.

Comment

I think buying used in eBay is probably the best bang for your buck. Although it depends partly on what style you want. I think with ties there is a steep curve with the marginal decrease in utility.

That is, for a small increase in quality, you get a big increase in price. There is also a price floor for even the cheapest ties. So the highest quality that you can get for a price close to the floor will be your best value.

Of course some tie makers have tend to have better looking ties, which is also important compared things like the quantity of silk etc. Some people might just prefer paying double for a red tie that is to them the right shade of red, just the right shape and just the right width.

Comment

The higher price in ties can get you better fabric, better drape, and a better (easier) knot. Often you can also get better construction which may increase its longevity although this is a stretch. I have recently splurged into some higher end ties and the difference in quality between Drake, Conrad Wu, Vanda, Panta and let's say Brooks Brothers is staggering for $20-30 more each. The issue that I have with this is that it is soooo easy to ruin a tie, with a stain or pull/snug, that the investment is a high risk one. In contrast, investing more money in shoes or a suit that can be cared for and easily repaired if needed, is a much lower risk investment. From that standpoint, it makes sense to get maybe 1-2 higher quality ties, then buy lower end ties, until the rest of one's wardrobe is complete (suits, shoes, shirts) and then invest in higher quality ties.

Comment

I think I will splurge on some Conrad Wu's. Has anyone tried David Fin ties?

Comment

Working...
                            X