No announcement yet.

Must I incinerate these shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, incinerate immediately and disavow any knowledge of them.
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

My square toe shoe story:

For honesty, I will admit I have a pair of slip-on, pleather, square toe shoes. I wish I was admitting to Gucci loafers... I do wear them on airplanes and to the bowling alley before changing. They have a deep scratch in the toe from the airplane seats. I covered it up with a sharpie because pleather soaks that up nicely. They were a gift and overpriced, so disposing of them wouldn't be the best idea for me.

However, they were the beginning of me trying to wear better clothes. At one point, all of my other shoes were in such bad shape that the square pleather slip-ons that I never wore looked like my nicest pair of shoes. I wore them a few times because I literally had nothing else that was any good. People who knew me exclaimed "wow, nice shoes..." and for a second I started to reconsider the style. But, I quickly snapped out of that and realized that this was just because people were used to seeing me wearing terrible shoes.

After having better shoes for a bit, I wore the square slip-ons again one day when the rest of my shoes reeked of turpentine. A male colleague of mine stopped and turned around to check out my shoes... he looked disappointed. He didn't know what to say. "I was going to ask about your shoes, but not those..." At that point, I knew that I couldn't wear them seriously ever again despite the sentimental attachment. You can still catch me in them on a 747, though.

Comment

I agree with the vocal majority -- These aren't worth keeping. Sorry, mate.

Comment

I personally hate the pointy shoes that are in fashion now. They crowd you toes. I went to AE to look at shoes recently and while I wear an 11e, they weren't comfortable at all. The 11eee was comfortable, but didn't stay on my feet. I say keep your shoes and boots. They are in decent shape and that style will come back at some point.

Comment

What a throwback thread. Back in 2002, I bought my first suit, dress shirt, tie, and sleek square toed dress shoes from Bachrach for prom. I might still have that pair if I go through my parents' garage (they don't throw anything out. Actually not true. My dad doesn't throw anything out to my mother's chagrin.) Unless they have some nostalgic value, I would trash them. I remember thinking they were the slickest shoes. Oh, to be 18 again.

Comment

Must I incinerate these shoes?

As you noted, please don't burn them, donate them. They will find a good home for someone who needs any shoes they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonFed View Post
                As you noted, please don't burn them, donate them. They will find a good home for someone who needs any shoes they can get.
                Indeed. However, it can depend on wear. I've had shoes rejected by charities when they were too broken in.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                  You could always just wear a blazer with a t-shirt, a Gilligan's Island bucket hat and some wraparound Oakleys. Then, those shoes would make that outfit fresh and stylin.
                  Originally posted by MNJ83 View Post
                  So burn them.
                  LOL.

Originally posted by jankdc View Post
                  I personally hate the pointy shoes that are in fashion now. They crowd you toes. I went to AE to look at shoes recently and while I wear an 11e, they weren't comfortable at all. The 11eee was comfortable, but didn't stay on my feet. I say keep your shoes and boots. They are in decent shape and that style will come back at some point.
                  We can only hope that they don't. A lot of AEs and most Aldens are far from pointy.

Originally posted by CrimsonFed View Post
                  This.

Indeed. However, it can depend on wear. I've had shoes rejected by charities when they were too broken in.
                  Goodwill will take anything, though I'm not a huge fan of donating to them.

Comment

Do you travel to work in snowy or rainy conditions? If so, then you could save yourself money that you might otherwise spend on overshoes or winter boots or beater shoes and avoid having to commute to work in sneakers and then you could use these shoes, especially the boots, to get to work, keep a newer pair at work, and change there.

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                      Do you travel to work in snowy or rainy conditions? If so, then you could save yourself money that you might otherwise spend on overshoes or winter boots or beater shoes and avoid having to commute to work in sneakers and then you could use these shoes, especially the boots, to get to work, keep a newer pair at work, and change there.
                      I drive to work, so no commute . That's a good idea though.

No, I'll be giving these away.
                      As soon as I am no longer bed-ridden/quarantined , (Who knew you can get Chickenpox at 32??), I will take them to Goodwill or Catholic Charities. They are in excellent shape, but who knows, they might have a policy against the destitute man wearing square toe shoes.
                      You can never have enough shoes

Comment

Originally posted by MNJ83 View Post
                        (Who knew you can get Chickenpox at 32??)
                        Yikes. Your doctor never mentioned there has been a vaccine for the previous 20 years?

At least now you are in the club where we get to wait for it to reactivate as shingles when we are older.

Comment

Yikes. Your doctor never mentioned there has been a vaccine for the previous 20 years?
                          No. I had it as a kid, which means you should never get it again and you don't need a vaccine. In very, very rare instances people get it again (rare instance=me).
                          You can never have enough shoes

Comment

In all seriousness, the shoes don't look at bad as the boots.
                            yes. the squareness of the boots is extra-accentuated by the way the leather sections are layed up and shaped.

they look like really nice quality shoes actually which is a bit sad maybe.

I feel like you should put them in some plastic shoes trees with some mothballs, and wait until they're hip again in 15 years. then you'll have a sweet, well built set of vintage era-correct square toed shoes from the 1990's

honestly, they look like they are nice! just square. I always felt like I was the only one to think so, but I never ever felt like square was good. but, a lot of people sure did. it was an interesting fashion trend, to tell you the truth.

Comment

Yep. Kill them. Kill them with fire.

Comment

They look to be in great shape and well cared for. Unless you need the space just keep them to wear around the house when you feel nostalgic. (or wear them to the doctor's office).
                                If you can't beat them, join them......then beat them!

Comment

Working...
                                X