This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
    What are you body chest and natural waist measurements?
    Never measured that.
    However, usually a 38S in the JCF Thompsons and all J Crew Ludlows pre 2015. I wear your size 15 slim shirts. 5'7 150 lbs. Wear size 29 waist pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
      Never measured that.
      However, usually a 38S in the JCF Thompsons and all J Crew Ludlows pre 2015. I wear your size 15 slim shirts. 5'7 150 lbs. Wear size 29 waist pants.
      I'm going to say stick with the contemporary.

That said a good rule of thumb is this: For a slim fit, you need at least 2.5" extra fabric at the chest and 3" around your waist. For a more traditional fit, 3" extra at the chest and 3.5" at the waist. For example if you have a 38 chest, you would want at a minimum the jacket chest to be 41".

Comment

I'm going to say stick with the contemporary.

That said a good rule of thumb is this: For a slim fit, you need at least 2.5" extra fabric at the chest and 3" around your waist. For a more traditional fit, 3" extra at the chest and 3.5" at the waist. For example if you have a 38 chest, you would want at a minimum the jacket chest to be 41".
        Well. Naturally I ordered just before I read this after reading your first sportcoat return policy. Ended up ordering a 40s in contemporary and 40s in slim. No 38 s in contemporary.

Comment

Well. Naturally I ordered just before I read this after reading your first sportcoat return policy. Ended up ordering a 40s in contemporary and 40s in slim. No 38 s in contemporary.
          37-inch chest, 29-inch waist, 5'10" with a longer waist.

I run a 36S in the Thompson jacket with 29 pants. I wear a 36 Contemporary from S&M.

I found the 36 Slim to be too tight around the chest, while the Contemporary has a greater drop between chest and waist, which works with a triangle build such as ours. The 36 Contemporary does require sleeve shortening, and the pants taken in around the waist and hips a little. The Slim pants, while not as slim as the Thompson slim, don't work with my thighs and calves.

I also tried the 36S Contemporary and found it to be too short in all dimensions, including the armhole size.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
            37-inch chest, 29-inch waist, 5'10" with a longer waist.

I run a 36S in the Thompson jacket with 29 pants. I wear a 36 Contemporary from S&M.

I found the 36 Slim to be too tight around the chest, while the Contemporary has a greater drop between chest and waist, which works with a triangle build such as ours. The 36 Contemporary does require sleeve shortening, and the pants taken in around the waist and hips a little. The Slim pants, while not as slim as the Thompson slim, don't work with my thighs and calves.

I also tried the 36S Contemporary and found it to be too short in all dimensions, including the armhole size.
            Shit. Sounds like I may need the 38s contemporary.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Shit. Sounds like I may need the 38s contemporary.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk
              I wear a 36S in the Thompson and 36 regular Contemporary from S&M. I think it sounds like you need the 38 Contemporary, which they have in stock. They're usually pretty good about changing an ordered size if it hasn't left the warehouse yet.

Comment

On the topic of sizing. I've always wanted to try S&M suits but have never been sure if I should go with the contemporary or slim. I have a wedding coming up in October and think I might finally give their suits a try. I'm 5'7" 130lbs, 37" chest and wear a 29 waist. Have a feeling the contemporary will probably be best for me but some feedback before I pull the trigger would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                  On the topic of sizing. I've always wanted to try S&M suits but have never been sure if I should go with the contemporary or slim. I have a wedding coming up in October and think I might finally give their suits a try. I'm 5'7" 130lbs, 37" chest and wear a 29 waist. Have a feeling the contemporary will probably be best for me but some feedback before I pull the trigger would be much appreciated.
                  With that much of a drop from chest to waist, I'd say go with Slim

Comment

Yes. New stocks arrive next week.
                    What are you restocking? Just shirts, or trousers too? Also, can you give me a link to your first-order policy, please?

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                      What are you restocking? Just shirts, or trousers too? Also, can you give me a link to your first-order policy, please?
                      Shirts for the restock. Trousers will be towards the end of the month.

First Order Return Policy:
                      http://www.spierandmackay.com/free_returns.php

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                        I think this really depends on how you like to wear your trousers. I am 5'7", 125 lbs with the same 29" waist, and I always buy contemporary from them because the slim trousers seem a little too low rise and tight for me. I like a little more room in the thighs along with a higher rise. I then have the waist taken in when I get the hem done. The jackets in the two fits are similar enough for me to make the decision based on the trousers. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=11780]CMAc7[/MENTION] That actually helps a lot! Thanks!

Comment

Hi all,

Thinking about buying my first Spier and Mackay suit and was wondering if there was a first purchase discount, or do you need to just take advantage of what's on sale right now? I am a bit concerned about ordering something on final sale, having never tried their suits out before.

Thanks,
                            Andrew

Comment

Between the strength of the USD and the current sale you're not going to find a bigger discount. Their suits fit pretty much the same as SS's havana cut if you're looking at the model 2 contemporary. If you know your measurements it shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

I posted this on the deals forum, but SM Polo's are currently $19.99 on Massdrop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/spier-m...referer=MZ9BQ4
                                Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                                Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                                --Jason Isbell

Comment

Working...
                                X