Suit Supply - An Unfortunate Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suit Supply - An Unfortunate Experience

Friends, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I was looking for a new suit and based upon the rave reviews here, I bought a Napoli in dark gray. Fantastic suit. Fantastic in-box presentation. Fantastic fit. You guys were spot-on.

I wore it three times in the first month. Three. And somehow two small holes the size of pinheads appeared in the pants. I sent an e-mail and a photograph to SuitSupply... they responded quickly and told me there was nothing they could do. So here I was with an unwearable $550 suit.

I asked... could I buy a new pair of pants as a separate?

The response: No. They directed me to drive to the nearest SuitSupply (200 miles away) and the store would make me a new pair of pants for $150.

So here I am, out of luck. And not buying from SuitSupply again. It was a most unfortunate experience.

I took the pants to a weaver who is charging $70 to re-weave the damaged part of the pants. But let's face it, a patch job is still a patch job.

If anyone has any suggestions (short of trying to find a pair on eBay) I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

I would escalate that to the next level of management. Store manager said no?

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Tibs View Post
      Friends, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I was looking for a new suit and based upon the rave reviews here, I bought a Napoli in dark gray. Fantastic suit. Fantastic in-box presentation. Fantastic fit. You guys were spot-on.

I wore it three times in the first month. Three. And somehow two small holes the size of pinheads appeared in the pants. I sent an e-mail and a photograph to SuitSupply... they responded quickly and told me there was nothing they could do. So here I was with an unwearable $550 suit.

The response: No. They directed me to drive to the nearest SuitSupply (200 miles away) and the store would make me a new pair of pants for $150.

So here I am, out of luck. And not buying from SuitSupply again. It was a most unfortunate experience.

I took the pants to a weaver who is charging $70 to re-weave the damaged part of the pants. But let's face it, a patch job is still a patch job.

If anyone has any suggestions (short of trying to find a pair on eBay) I'd love to hear them. Thanks.
      I would get them patched. I have a bunch of Suitsupply suits and haven't had any similar problems. I don't think it was their fault. I know you want someone to blame. It's hard to damage something that you paid a lot of money for. Luckily, if the holes are as small as you described, a tailor should be able to fix them.
      My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Is it really unwearable? Can you post the pictures? Pin heads can be pretty small. Is it possibly just left over from tailoring? You might try steaming it or hanging it up in the bathroom while you take a shower to see if it goes away. Do you see frayed threads at the hole? Please let us know what happens. I was planning to buy one or two suits from Suit Supply in the near future.

Comment

Gents,

[MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION]: I don't blame them and I don't believe the damage is their fault. But not being able to replace the pants unless I drive to a store 200 miles away and pay $150 seems like poor customer service to me. I asked if I could mail-order a pair of the exact same pants, as a separate, and that request was denied.

[MENTION=14636]Alex1[/MENTION]: The damage consists of two small tears--definitely not from tailoring. These showed up after I got the suit tailored.

Like I said, the suit itself was great. But once they had my money, I have experienced an absolute absence of customer support outside of some politely-worded emails telling me I was out of luck.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. If you have options, then please spend your money somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
              Sorry to hear that. If you have options, then please spend your money somewhere else.
              What brand are you suggesting? I'm not sure if I'm aware of any that would replace a pair of worn pants for pin size holes. I'm also not aware of any brands that don't sell separates that would make an exception. I've found Suitsupply's customer service to be great.
              My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                What brand are you suggesting? I'm not sure if I'm aware of any that would replace a pair of worn pants for pin size holes. I'm also not aware of any brands that don't sell separates that would make an exception. I've found Suitsupply's customer service to be great.
                I can't suggest a brand; I shop MTM from a local tailor.

If I were OP and I felt that the merchandise was defective or worn out prematurely, I would expect a free replacement.

Comment

I'd post pictures, but I'm having some difficulty with that. Like I said, the pants have already been sent to a weaver to fix the holes... my tailor (and two others I went to) said it was a weave job, not a stitch job.

I'm not blasting SuSu, I just wish I knew their limitations beforehand.

Comment

I'd post pictures, but I'm having some difficulty with that. Like I said, the pants have already been sent to a weaver to fix the holes... my tailor (and two others I went to) said it was a weave job, not a stitch job.

I'm not blasting SuSu, I just wish I knew their limitations beforehand.
                    I hate to say it but it seems your experience is not the norm. I would've called back and maybe gotten a different customer service rep. I've had great experiences with them and their staff.

Comment

The damage consists of two small tears--definitely not from tailoring. These showed up after I got the suit tailored.
                      Is it possible the tailor botched something? Did you look into it? If so, as [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] mentioned, s/he might be able to fix at no charge. Or even if the tailor isn't to blame, patching, at a moderate cost, could definitely be possible.

EDIT: It seems your other post answered that question.

Comment

Sidetrack, where are you getting a reweave done? There is literally nowhere near me that can do it and I've read mixed reviews about the most commonly recommended online ones.

Comment

I would have escalated the issue or tried contacting another store about it. If it truly got damaged (at no fault of your own) within one month of normal use, it's defective and the company should give you a free exchange. If not, then I would be hesitant to deal with them again. Other companies allow returns/exchanges for damaged items (due to manufacturer defects), including Nordstrom and Jcrew off the top of my head. You could always try to find a similar pant from another company, you might get lucky and find a good match.
                          Last edited by fasteddie911; December 8, 2015, 03:17 PM.

Comment

A couple of thoughts spring to mind (and in no particular order) some of which have been mentioned already.

1. Have you tried escalating the issue with someone in higher management at SS?
                            2. Is is possible you sat on something that tore/created the holes? If so, then I'd not expect SS to pick up the tab
                            3. Have you taken the items in to your tailor to see if they can do a repair?
                            4. Can you post some photos of the holes?

Best of luck.

Comment

Cheap solution:

If they are pinhead size, just have tailor apply a kevlar patch behind the holes and that would be great, but that's really really small, I wore a hole out in my rear pocket I haven't bothered to have fixed as it's covered. I'm surprised you noticed them, moths perhaps?

Crappy thing about suits is, the better the wool, the easier it can get wrecked >

Also if you mail ordered pants from SS, you'd probably end up paying about $50 in shipping, just mail them to the store 200 miles away, and have them remake you a new pair, isn't that an option? I can't see them not accepting you to mail them the pants and then making you a matching pair and mailing them, if they didn't do that then I'd really question their CS.

Originally posted by fasteddie911 View Post
                              I would have escalated the issue or tried contacting another store about it. If it truly got damaged within one month of normal use, it's defective and the company should give you a free exchange. If not, then I would be hesitant to deal with them again. Other companies allow returns/exchanges for damaged items, including Nordstrom and Jcrew off the top of my head. You could always try to find a similar pant from another company, you might get lucky and find a good match.
                              Hmm, I bet it would cost me more in shipping to return the items than it would be to buy a new one....so that would keep many people away from it. Jcrews stuff is really really flimsy and wears out so fast, which leads me to believe they are charging $50 for a $3 shirt, I'd replace a shirt in a heartbeat if I was them.

Where replacing a much lower margin item after a month of wears might not be feasible, if it was pointed out right away then yup by all means replace, but would jcrew replace their peacoat if you wore it for a month straight to bars, parties etc?
                              Last edited by shad0w4life; December 8, 2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X