Top 5 past choices that were just wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 5 past choices that were just wrong

I've made a lot of style choices that were misguided, tacky, or just flat out stupid. All of this was a waste of money, time, and most definitely impressions on others. I've tried to put together the worst of them.

I don't know if anyone else has made such errors, but here is my personal top list of issues:

1. Waiter outfits. Dressing up? Might as well emulate that guy who served me fajitas last week: loose slacks, ill-fitting dress shirt, and clashing tie. More water, sir?

2. Beige on beige on beige. Khakis look good, yes? Why not just combine khaki pants, khaki shirt, khaki socks, and a khaki jacket? All slightly different shades, of course.

3. Green on green on green. Green is a nice accent color. How about many shades of green? Surely, that's even better. Forest, olive, grass... like a vintage rug, worn.

4. Cargo pants. I don't need a desk or a filing cabinet when everything can be stored on my person. Plus, there will no uncomfortable eye contact when I have several bulging pants pockets to gawk at.

5. Tucked-in casual shirts. When a casual outfit looks okay just thrown together and one needs a way to ruin it, tucking in a short-tailed shirt works every time; especially with shorts.

I'll still wear cargo pants. Noe ragrets, y0.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
      I'll still wear cargo pants. Noe ragrets, y0.
      It all depends on how your bulge complements your lapel width.

Comment

Haha. No more than +/- .5" greater than your lapel width on either side.

I wear cargos when I'm casual, though. A cross between tacti-cool and NW grundge/punk/metal scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
          Haha. No more than +/- .5" greater than your lapel width on either side.

I wear cargos when I'm casual, though. A cross between tacti-cool and NW grundge/punk/metal scene.
          Perhaps I was just breaking cargo pants in for the "natural grunge" look... ripping the seams ever so gradually. I wish you had helped me realize this could have been a sellable item before I gave them to those quilting people.

Comment

In all seriousness, I would like some tips on dappering grunge if you care to share any.

Comment

Definitely did the waiter outfit when I wore navy chinos with a khaki blazer. Looked similar to the servers at a function, and I haven't worn that khaki blazer ever since.

A few regrets I have is:

1. Spending hundreds of dollars a few years back on roll top Timbs, both camo/black and wheat. Haven't worn them in a few years after I purchased 1Ks and Beckmans.

2. Buying 3 pairs of the same Jordans in different colorways. One would have sufficed, but I got three, and I don't wear two of them anymore.

3. Buying cheap LRG jeans, and boot cut Levis all off of Amazon before I discovered Gustin. Then buying more denim than I needed (15+ pairs). I've since sold most of them, and have only one pair that I wear regularly, Downtown Browns. Still trying to sell my Black2s, Ox2s, and another pair of Downtown Browns in size 33 slim (I'm a 34~35 slim now).

4. Before developing a style, I bought a lot of trendy Asian clothes off of Amazon and eBay. Ended up trashing all of them. Didn't feel they were even worth donating.

5. And overall, really regret buying a lot of cheap items instead of a few good quality items. Bought lots of BR blazers, lots of Jcrew clearance items, Jos A Banks dress shirts, a couple Brooks Brothers 346 suits, etc.

I'm still trying to nail down my style, and still keep making stupid purchases, but this time around I actually do a lot of returning, instead of keeping. I've nailed it so far down to:

Dress shirts: Nordstrom Trim Fit
              Blazers: Jcrew Crosby
              Suits: Jcrew Crosby
              Denim: Gustin, breaking in a pair of IndigoGene, looking at purchasing Momotaro/PBJ
              Pants: Bonobos
              Shorts: Jcrew Stanton
              Shoes/boots: JPs, AEs, Red Wings, Wolverine. Bought my first pair of Aldens in black suede from Jcrew, and have been eyeing some shell cordovan Aldens.
              Ties: Chipp Neckwear, Jcrew, brands on deep discount from Macy's
              Socks: Darn Tough Socks, and socks purchased from Costco.
              T-shirts: Gustin, Jcrew

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                5. And overall, really regret buying a lot of cheap items instead of a few good quality items. Bought lots of BR blazers, lots of Jcrew clearance items, Jos A Banks dress shirts, a couple Brooks Brothers 346 suits, etc.
                I made this same mistake, but I don't regret it. I learned what not to buy and what could be bought again.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                  Definitely did the waiter outfit when I wore navy chinos with a khaki blazer. Looked similar to the servers at a function, and I haven't worn that khaki blazer ever since.
                  Wow. I forgot I did that, too. We could have pulled this off together, though.

Comment

My choices are based on things I spent money on that I don't wear anymore. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of these choices. If you like/wear some of the things that I consider a mistake, I'm not trying to say that these things are wrong for anyone else. Please don't take these things personally.

1. Skinny lapels. I actually thought skinny was the way to go. There seemed to be a lot of conflicting information on lapel and tie width online. Not a lot has changed. There are certainly at least two camps when it comes to lapel preferences.
                    2. Point collars. I don't wear skinny lapels or skinny ties, so point collars don't really work for me. I have one I get a little wear of without a tie.
                    3. Gingham shirts without a suit/sportcoat. I still wear gingham under a sweater some. Don't really like it with a jacket though. I got a few ginghams early on that sit in my closet.
                    4. French cuff shirts. Every once in a while I'll break out a dark suit with a white french cuff shirt for something going on at night. Other than that my french cuff shirts sit in my closet. I even bought a couple french cuff gingham shirts which makes about as much sense as tits on a bull.
                    5. Horsebit loafers. I never admitted in the other thread that I do in fact own a pair of this shoes. I was too embarrassed. I can't remember the last time I wore them.
                    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                      In all seriousness, I would like some tips on dappering grunge if you care to share any.
                      Not really much "dappering" you can do with that look, really. If anything, I suppose the goal is to look "rugged." Personally, if you are going to wear cargos, the choice of pants makes a big difference between looking somewhat natural wearing them. I prefer tactical cargos from companies like 5.11. They're fully utility and more canvas-sy and lend themselves to the whole neo-punk/grunge feel. Keep them straight fit and not baggy; I mean, the fit should be actually functional. Personally, I'd steer clear of Land's End, BB Red Fleece, or whatever...those are full on fashion pants and in all honesty, look pretty silly, imo. My go-to is generally wearing a fitted/slim henley or v-neck, sometimes layered with a fitted/not-baggy flannel shirt and then a leather jacket on top. A Dickies Eisenhower jacket or something would work too. Or if you want to get Dappered-y, a Barracuta-ish club jacket or something. Stick with plaids and checks. Or minus any one of those things. Work boots or something, too. Keep to darker colors/earth tones. No grunge/punk is wearing pastels/khakis/or some other color on the brighter side of the spectrum. Think browns, blacks, deep reds, olive drabs, navy/dark blues, etc. Wear some work/military-ish like boots, but nothing super over the top out-of-the-Matrix shiz. Add a bit of bad attitude and voila.

It's essentially the same look I used to wear when I dressed like a tacti-cool mega-bro, minus the aggro-obnoxious muscle-t's and Oakleys, etc. It's amazing how much of a difference a bit of tailoring makes along with replacing a crew neck t-shirt with a v-neck or a henley makes.

TL;DR? It's probably in everyone's best interest to not wear cargo pants. I'm perfectly fine here, burning alone.

Comment

Top five regrets in the past 18 months:

1-In the past year I got over 35 BR shirts for work so I wouldn't have to wash too often. Sometimes in sale sometimes full price. Now I am wearing a suit to work twice or 3 X a week and don't really need that many since I like my suits with white or light blue French cuff shirts only. Also I got way too many of those shirts in "tailored" slim fit. Some of the tailored slims fit perfectly well and some don't. Specially when I am on a muscle packing cycle vs. a cutting cycle. And it also annoys the hell out of me when I see the same shirt on their clearance for 20 dollars. I'll keep all the shirts for non suit days though.

2-For some bizarre reason I bought too many pleated trousers that look like my grandfathers pants to go with the above mentioned shirts. I have only recently realized that if I get a flat front and get it properly tailored it looks much better on me. Most pleated pants are being banished from my closet.

3-Cargo pants. They look terrible on me. Getting rid them

4-Against my better judgement, I bought 3 rubber soled pair of shoes. I though they would compliment my casual work attire. I have now circled back around to the conclusion that all rubber soled shoes must die . -all rubber soled shoes are being donated

5-The "346" Fitzgerald suit I *just bought thinking it would be just like my 1818 Fitzgerald suits I bought at the regular store. It's not
                        You can never have enough shoes

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                          My choices are based on things I spent money on that I don't wear anymore. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of these choices. If you like/wear some of the things that I consider a mistake, I'm not trying to say that these things are wrong for anyone else. Please don't take these things personally.

1. Skinny lapels. I actually thought skinny was the way to go. There seemed to be a lot of conflicting information on lapel and tie width online. Not a lot has changed. There are certainly at least two camps when it comes to lapel preferences.
                          2. Point collars. I don't wear skinny lapels or skinny ties, so point collars don't really work for me. I have one I get a little wear of without a tie.
                          3. Gingham shirts without a suit/sportcoat. I still wear gingham under a sweater some. Don't really like it with a jacket though. I got a few ginghams early on that sit in my closet.
                          4. French cuff shirts. Every once in a while I'll break out a dark suit with a white french cuff shirt for something going on at night. Other than that my french cuff shirts sit in my closet. I even bought a couple french cuff gingham shirts which makes about as much sense as tits on a bull.
                          5. Horsebit loafers. I never admitted in the other thread that I do in fact own a pair of this shoes. I was too embarrassed. I can't remember the last time I wore them.
                          Number 1, 2, 3 and 4 I've been guilty of as well.
                          Especially number 1. I think the time I started paying a bit more attention to tailored clothing was when Mad Men first premiered. At that time a lot of men's style blogs and articles were full of superlatives for the style of the show and their skinny lapels and ties.

My 5 personal ones:
                          1. Really tapered pants. Not just jeans, but pants as well. I had just gotten into style, and the skinny jeans trend just started and the light bulb turned on my head to tailor my pants to the same leg opening.
                          2. Wearing suit-looking jackets as sportscoats and blazers.
                          3. Wearing really short rise jeans and pants. I'm pretty tall, so I end up looking like this: Lopsided.
                          4. Wear really cropped jackets.
                          5. This one's been done before, but black pants. Everyone had em at work, so I thought I'd fit in with it.

Comment

Rubber soles can look great and be practical:
                            http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...hlight=dainite

Originally posted by MNJ83 View Post
                            Top five regrets in the past 18 months:

1-In the past year I got over 35 BR shirts for work so I wouldn't have to wash too often. Sometimes in sale sometimes full price. Now I am wearing a suit to work twice or 3 X a week and don't really need that many since I like my suits with white or light blue French cuff shirts only. Also I got way too many of those shirts in "tailored" slim fit. Some of the tailored slims fit perfectly well and some don't. Specially when I am on a muscle packing cycle vs. a cutting cycle. And it also annoys the hell out of me when I see the same shirt on their clearance for 20 dollars. I'll keep all the shirts for non suit days though.

2-For some bizarre reason I bought too many pleated trousers that look like my grandfathers pants to go with the above mentioned shirts. I have only recently realized that if I get a flat front and get it properly tailored it looks much better on me. Most pleated pants are being banished from my closet.

3-Cargo pants. They look terrible on me. Getting rid them

4-Against my better judgement, I bought 3 rubber soled pair of shoes. I though they would compliment my casual work attire. I have now circled back around to the conclusion that all rubber soled shoes must die . -all rubber soled shoes are being donated

5-The "346" Fitzgerald suit I *just bought thinking it would be just like my 1818 Fitzgerald suits I bought at the regular store. It's not

Comment

Seconded that rubber soles can be fantastic. I have a pair each of Loakes and AE Fifth Aves with Dainite soles and I find them to be so much more practical. Given the option between Dainite (or a similar studded rubber) and leather, I can't see myself choosing anything but Dainite in the future. Much more practical. But perhaps a Dainite-type sole was not what he had in mind when he said "rubber".

I also fell into the trap of buying too much too soon when I got into style, especially cheaper items, and now a lot of stuff just sits around in the closet unworn. And ditto on wearing suit jackets as blazers. Also, my first couple of suits were purchased on the recommendation of a Men's Wearhouse sales associate, and they were absolutely awful and not cheap. Ended up selling them on eBay for basically pocket change after hardly getting any wear out of them.

Mostly, my biggest regrets are buying things that appeared to be a great deal without putting much thought into how much use I would get out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X