• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

Are you asking what "I" would wear it with, or just in general terms? I work in IT where everyone else around me is wearing polos or baggy OCBD's, and nobody else EVER wears ties or jackets. Most wear Dr Martens or Timberlands to work. So even a casually worn suit would be more dressed up than them.

Personally: I'd probably wear a linen suit with my wingtips or loafers, and either go tieless (with one of my pinpoint button-down collared shirts) or choose either a cotton or matte silk tie. If I go with loafers, I'd be wearing my braided leather belt, and there's a 50/50 chance that I'll skip the socks altogether. Heck, I MIGHT even wear it (tieless, of course) with my leather flip flops or sandals if I'm not at work or going anywhere with a dress code.

Categorically: Anything that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's really not that kind of suit. There would certainly be no harm in wearing an OCBD, but I find them to be thicker than pinpoint shirts (and thus warmer) so I avoid them in spring and summer, even though pinpoint is technically considered dressier.

The jacket can also be worn by itself in any situation where you'd wear a cotton sportcoat.

Leave a comment:

• jessy_diamond

• jessy_diamond
    replied

Out of curiosity Alan, what would you wear (shirt, shoes) with a linen suit?

Leave a comment:

• alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

When I went to the store, they were offering a linen/cotton jacket, but I don't think it has matching pants, and I think its $100.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisW
    replied

I picked up a cotton/linen blend blazer last year at H&M. The quality is ok, and the fabric felt a little better than the 100% linen jackets I tried on. It is 2 button, peak lapel, and also short for the chest size. I don't know if they will do one again this year, but if you don't like the extreme wrinkle of linen it may be worth holding out.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

Focus, not a bad idea, but don't make yourself broke in the process. She'll do that for you. ;-) I kid I kid...

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira

• jason_carreira
    replied

Make sure you have your own budget that you don't have to ask about

Leave a comment:

• Focuspants
    Varsity Member

• Focuspants
    replied

I am going to be married in about 3 months. One of the things you have made me aware of, is to buy everything I want in the next 3 months to avoid headaches haha.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    Varsity Member

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Always working an angle there, Alan. Always... ;-)

Leave a comment:

• alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

It's not technically in my budget so I'm wondering if I could ask for it as an early b-day gift... As in, 4 months early.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    Varsity Member

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Tried on another H&M jacket. Sleeves fit fine, but the torso barely passed my belt. Need to wear that on a no-pants day.

Leave a comment:

• jessy_diamond

• jessy_diamond
    replied

I think I'll still give it a try, piling or not. I don't have a lot of sport coats yet, I think it will be a great addition for the upcoming season.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    Varsity Member

• nicholascrawford
    replied

My store has it in navy. Looks sweet!

http://www.hm.com/us/product/98049?article=98049-A

The pills just seem to be a characteristic of the fabric blend in this case, and it's unnoticeable in the dark colors. Jessy - I know you're picky about these things! If it would bug you, then it's not for you. But I wear clothes with pills already...

The wife is just anti-everything today! Said no to the linen suit! I fit their 36R jackets perfectly. Surprising to see that they had almost everything in a 34R too.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    Dappered Veteran

• alan
    replied

Just stopped in. My first real time in H&M. They had the suit in grey, black, and tan, but not the navy I was looking for. For whatever reason, they don't stock much of that color so it sold out. Not super high quality, but still worth $100 for a strictly casual suit. Definitely have to size up, though. The pills don't look like they will persist.

Leave a comment:

• VespaMatt
    Varsity Member

• VespaMatt
    replied

Picked up the suit in the off-white/greyish color. They had a vest in the same material if you wanted to combine everything into a 3-piece suit. I originally went hoping to find the blue linen suit but they only had the trousers and shorts, no jacket to be found.

I didn't see any of the 'piling' that people are worried about, at least on my jacket. Fit was good for me, I am usually a 38S and the 38 fits well. I'm still trying to lose weight so mine won't need any taking in, I'm a size 34 pants right now, so those with 'proper' proportions might not find this as slim as they'd hope. For comparison, I think it fits pretty similar to how the Ludlow 38 I bought and returned fit me, off the rack.

I'm going to mess around with it some tomorrow, take a better look at it and see if its worth keeping (stuff sells out at my store SO QUICK, especially smaller sizes, that its better to buy now and ask questions later). So far it seems decent enough for $100, especially since I am still trying to slim down.

They also had a navy 90% cotton/10% polyester jacket for fairly cheap, with no liner. I also saw that Fashion Star blazer.... it was a really great color in person, exactly what I've been looking for in a suit. I could even look past the weird warm hander pockets but they were sold out of my size.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    Varsity Member

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Yes. If you're trying to cool off due to heat stress, get naked under an umbrella with a cool mist. Trust me, ma'am. I just took a first aid course.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X